Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Silver Leaf

Have any of you had Silver Leaf installed after the fact or even at the factory? I'd just be curious as how the install went and whether or not you feel it is worth it to add Silver Leaf to your rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

I installed mine. simple plug and play wiring and if you have trouble silverleaf is very helpful. go to there web site and look around you can even install the software and play with it you won't get data though till you buy the interface box. One more thing they are pc friendly but no apple.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #3

will it work on a Chromebook?

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
I installed mine. simple plug and play wiring and if you have trouble silverleaf is very helpful. go to there web site and look around you can even install the software and play with it you won't get data though till you buy the interface box. One more thing they are pc friendly but no apple.

Would you put the Silver Leaf in a "must Have" category?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would definitely put the Silverleaf system in the must have column.

It has the ability to monitor a number of parameters, you can pick and choose which ones you want to. You can set up the screen and use numerical output or graphical form. I monitor a number of points with Engine Temp, Oil Pressure, Boost and Volts being the key ones in big bold numbers.

It also has the ability to provide alarms, it saved my bacon last year when the dash idiot gauges/alarms didn't do anything. I had something kick up off the road and put several holes in my radiator causing loss of coolant very fast. I started hearing the alarm but couldn't see anything on the dash. We pulled off the highway into a Cracker Barrel not really knowing what was wrong, walked around to the back of the coach and saw I had big time problems.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

NO.. but I also still use paper maps, The data is very comforting to have a good idea what the engine and trans. is doing when things don't seem quite right. I'm not a gear head but I do my own maintenance and like to know what's going on more than watching engine or trans codes with the count the light blinks.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wnytaxman"......Are you talking about the SilverLeaf engine monitoring or the whole coach monitoring system?

I have the SilverLeaf VMSpc engine monitoring system in my current coach and ran for five years in my previous coach. I DON'T start my coach until the SilverLeaf boots up. I like having a large screen with all the pertinent data running in my line of site.

I run a small HP laptop, powered by 12 volt, (so I don't have to worry about powering it with 110 volt). I made a mount so it sits just to the left of my dash. You can monitor more things than you would have time to view. I set mine up to monitor items of interest to me.

I find that I can use the Rolling MPG to improve my mileage. I watch how it fluctuates, often telling me I'm slightly climbing or it's windy. I adjust my speed to keep my mileage up.....maybe slow down or speed up.

You can also set alarm parameters to notify you when something exceeds the limits. The only thing the SilverLeal will not look at is exhaust temps, because the Cummins computer doesn't look at them. Instead, I watch Intake Manifold Temps.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #8

How does one purchase a Silverleaf product? I went to their website and cannot locate any way to even see how much any of their products are much less buy one. Am I missing something really obvious?

DW
2003 Country Coach Prevost #60479
2019 Ford F150 Toad
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #9

Disregard... I found this in the FAQ.

Why can't I buy this online?
Answer: There's just too many variations in coaches across so many years and brands...and models; each has its own concerns and so it's very easy to order the wrong equipment--and freight costs add up fast! Try the software for free; call us without any obligation at all.
2003 Country Coach Prevost #60479
2019 Ford F150 Toad
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I had a previous coach that had an early model of silver leaf installed (2002) and kind of ignored it till I went to a seminar. Then I started using the hell out of it. We got another coach same make and model and had a system installed at the Silver Leaf facility I love it.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You can do some searches for a used Silver leaf unit.

RV Upgrades has the best prices on new.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/categ...verleaf&Submit=

You basically need to know what type of connector you have. My connector was on the left side of the steering wheel mounted under the dash, easily accessible.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
The Silverleaf is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Mine was an aftermarket install done by a factory rep while attending an FMCA rally. Install is easy and took about an hour because the hole had to be cut in the dash.

I am going to have the glass dash installed and keep my current unit so even more info will be available
Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"wnytaxman"......I have the SilverLeaf VMSpc engine monitoring system in my current coach and ran for five years in my previous coach. I DON'T start my coach until the SilverLeaf boots up. I like having a large screen with all the pertinent data running in my line of sight................
What DS Don said.

I run a Surface Pro, powered by 12 volt, (so I don't have to worry about powering it with 110 volt either). I bought a Ram mount so it sits just to the left of my steering wheel.
I have a lot of trouble seeing the white characters on black background on the instrument panel. In addition, the tiny blue KM/hr characters are impossible to see in bright sunlight.
The Silverleaf makes it so that I don't have to look at them at all. Great big speed in Km/hr, cruise control settings etc., make this hands down, the best "add-on" I ever got for our coach. My wife would be much less confident driving without it.
Works for us.
Rob
Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #14

Curious--did SL ever upgrade from the serial port config for the VMSpc model? Its been a few years since installed after-market, but couldnt believe they were still using a serial port which requires you to buy a port converter to communicate with modern computers....
PS--the data flow gets a bit repetitive over time but like the idea of setting alarms and caution warnings to monitor key engine and tranny parameters....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote