Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Silverleaf Data Logging

Does anyone use the data logging function. Is it worth fooling with, does it give you decent information? What intervals are you use to capture the info?

I had to have my radiator replace back in 2015, first trip out with the new radiator we were climbing a long moderate grade and my transmission temp alarm alerted me. This had never happened before, I downshifted and got RPM's up.

Fast forward to 2021, life gets in the way with building a new house an Covid, I finally got a chance to take another trip and paid attention to the transmission temps, under normal driving they were fine but when pushed the transmission temps would climb. Stuck in stop and go traffic I saw temps over 225F.

Had me concerned so I did some digging. First thing I did was contact the radiator manufacturer. When I had bought the radiator they had only sold one other of my make/model rig. I contacted the person that I had dealt with and inquired as to how they sized the transmission cooling core, he said they just had standard sized, which tells me they didn't tear an old one apart and sized it correctly. I explained my situation and he suggested selling me a $750 air cooled add on. I declined.

I then did some checking, another Monaco owner added a set of Derale 15876 fan coolers. So I decided to add one of these in tandem with the radiator cooler. Took the rig for a ride with and without the fan portion running. With the fan running all the time the temps stayed at 135F, which is too cool. I have since added a 150F thermoswitch (surface mount) to the new cooler. Took it on a run yesterday and my transmission temps never exceeded 181 F which where I need it but I wasn't able to really give a good long hard test. I'm pretty sure the fan never kicked on. I checked the temps with a thermo gun and it looked like the temp in was ~135, the thermoswitch location was ~125F (since it was not actually seeing tranny fluid temp), outlet was ~125F. So between the ~19ft of additional hose and the cooler I'm seeing pretty good cooling. When the fan kicks on it's almost too much unless it's in a really hard pull.

So for the time being I am going to leave it like it is but I want to log the data. My wife is taking the rig on a trip next month, she will not be able to (or willing to) continually watch the transmission temps. Data logging will solve that problem.

Any suggestions?
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Jim,

I always have my VMSpc log my data. I create a new file for every trip we make. Log data every 6 seconds.

I uploaded 2 graphs of one trip (in PDF format) into the files section under the chassis category. File is titled "VMSPC Data to and from Big whiteshell, Aug 2021".

I was going to upload the data and graphs in excel but excel files are not allowed for upload.

If you wish, send me a private message with your email address and I will email the complete file to you so you can see what I did.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I downloaded the graph and this is what I want to do.

So I opened a Data log screen and selected transmission and battery voltage using 60 second intervals which I think would be good enough for what I want to do. I ran coach for a while and checked the log and it was only logging the transmission temp.

How are you able to monitor 3 different things, just click on all 3?? Do they all log on the same file, if not how do you set up different files.

I use a small tablet with touch scree to monitor the VMSpc, it is not as friendly to use a laptop with touch pad so I'll have to be patient. It's much harder to set up the screen and easier to screw it up.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Thanks, I downloaded the graph and this is what I want to do.

So I opened a Data log screen and selected transmission and battery voltage using 60 second intervals which I think would be good enough for what I want to do. I ran coach for a while and checked the log and it was only logging the transmission temp.

How are you able to monitor 3 different things, just click on all 3?? Do they all log on the same file, if not how do you set up different files. Yes, I click all available parameters and they are all saved in the one file. I then graph the parameters that I want.

I use a small tablet with touch scree to monitor the VMSpc, it is not as friendly to use a laptop with touch pad so I'll have to be patient. It's much harder to set up the screen and easier to screw it up.
I use a 10" laptop which sits on my dashboard. It is touch screen, but I find a cordless keyboard and mouse much easier to use.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
So I played with the data logging feature this AM, I used a mouse to be able to better set it up but unless I attach a multiport USB connector can't use the mouse and monitor the engine at the same time since my tablet only has one micro attachment port. I do have a splitter that I will try later.
I was able to get it to recognize and record multiple inputs.

Engine temp
Voltage
transmission temp
Boost

It will record and I can then save them to a note pad file to look at. The transmission temp is the one I am interested in but the others will provide info as to what the engine is doing and possibly if the fan is running both by watching temps and the voltage.

I have decided to replace the fan switch with a 140F switch, ON at 140F and OFF at 120. The temps I saw the other day were good but if the temps rise to ~200F the cooling unit should see at least 20F higher at with the lower switch temp it should cut on.

If switch doesn't work as well as I hope I'll change to a port type switch.