Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #99

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Just now going thru tread so haven't read it all. Why does everybody shift the trans to a particular gear, won't it downshift as it needs to? Am I missing something?
Sometimes you are traveling at just the speed that the transmission will "search" for the correct gear, so you "lock in" the lower gear to prevent the transmission from shifting up and back down and back up..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #100

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Sometimes you are traveling at just the speed that the transmission will "search" for the correct gear, so you "lock in" the lower gear to prevent the transmission from shifting up and back down and back up..
OK, I usually just come off the gas abit to let it shift back up and not "search" or go crazy in the RPM range. I will not run the motor at 4000 RPM or above, it does not sound happy at all and makes me very unhappy. Dose not bother me to loose a little speed, I am not racing.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:21 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For my coach it depends on the RPMS I have before I hit the grade, 6 percent from 25 mph, I will be struggling to get up to any kind of speed, 60 mph then hit a 7 percent grade with 55 mph speed limit (like the 77 on 77) and let the cruise control have it, not my right foot then I will stay in the left lane and pass everything.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #102

Just for giggles, i '85 we took a VW Westi '71 over Eisenhower Pass outside of Denver. As we climbed up that pass, we noticed a bicycle w/small two wheel carry along, gaining on us. As he passed us he gave a thumbs up. Ugh...
Dan_Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Just now going thru tread so haven't read it all. Why does everybody shift the trans to a particular gear, won't it downshift as it needs to? Am I missing something?
It will downshift to maintain the speed selected by the cruise or gas pedal. If there is no change from those two sources it will keep downshifting as long as the rig keeps slowing down. Depending on the amount of gas pedal or the cruise setting this can be rough on the motor especially.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #104

When I'm pulling my 5er, I watch 2 things: RPM and transmission temperature. Don't like to see either get too high.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #105

If I can see that I'm going to climb a long grade, I get a run at it and floorboard the throttle, and keep it floored until I get to the top. The Allison and the Cummins work together very well (automatically). Spartan did a great job of selecting and combining the engine and tire diameter and all the gear ratios. (40ft Dutch Star towing a 4x4 GMC Envoy).
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #106

I am new to this site. If I may...I don’t have a motor home yet, but looking...I have pulled rv trailers all over the country. When I would drive on flat land I would use cruise. But going through mountains, I would use my foot and just go with the flow. Some will pass me and I will pass some. But I am not about to tear up my rig to get to the top...just about everyone on here is saying to enjoy the scenery. That is what I am going to do.
Elad8152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #107

Rexhall Owners Group
Two different coaches both pulling a 4,600 lb toad up the same grade. Our old coach, 1999 Ford 32 foot gasser no slides. Combined weight about 22,000lbs. Current coach, 2005 Pace Arrow 2 slides. Combined weight about 26,000 lbs.

The grade is a steady 10 mile stretch of 6% on CA 395 N of Bishop, CA. With the old 1999 gasser we continued to slow until we were between 25 and 30 MPH. With the Pace Arrow, we would make the same grade at 35 to 40 MPH. The speeds are based on uninterrupted travel. If large trucks are slowing the right lane and we need to adjust speed accordingly it effects top speed. Don't know if we could get to 45 under ideal conditions. No trucks, no headwinds and a faster start before the grade. I don't like to push the torque limit so don't know what an all out speed contest would produce. For the run on the Pace Arrow I tried to keep the torque under 4,000.

The old Ford gasser was a stock V10 w/275 HP and 4 speed tranny. The Pace Arrow has the Ultra Power performance package which adds about 60 HP and 70 lbs. torque. Total HP about 400 with the 5 speed Allison.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote