Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #155

We bought a 94 Southwind for 3500.00 I have to rebuild the Transmission do some minor repairs, a new drivers windshield. Other than that its clean. Carpet is in great shape 54000 miles on her. 7 kw power plant 460 engine. If we had to have someone replace the trans add 2 to 3 thousand to the price windshield is 800.00 plus shipping and 500.00 labor. we put a new toilet in and a new bed. It has some water damage due to lack of use . I figure total cost would be what we paid for it and maybe 3000.00 the total rig would have cost us under 10,000.00
Old Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #156

Last time the OP posted - was on Page 5 post 60 - You guys - -

Is it the single or the female that draws you in?

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #157

Hmmmm....?

But what the heck, during the Covid-19 quarantine what else do many of us have to do? It's been a great "campfire" conversation.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Hmmmm....?

But what the heck, during the Covid-19 quarantine what else do many of us have to do? It's been a great "campfire" conversation.
So I guess both caught your eye.

You Boys keep putting the Logs on that Campfire.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Last time the OP posted - was on Page 5 post 60 - You guys - [emoji144] -

Is it the single or the female that draws you in?

I can see why [emoji2369][emoji2369][emoji2369][emoji2369] she is gone.
After reading a few doom and gloom posts
Like deltams post I was ready to sell my rig also. [emoji6]
My lordy
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #160

Both! LOL
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #161

Maybe she found a Bo!

You know how that goes regarding losing your train of thought!!

Old 05-18-2020, 11:55 PM   #162

I ended up buying a 2004 Tiffin Allegro with reasonable mileage at a great price.

Still trying to figure out whether I want to pull a trailer or sell my prius for a 4-down and learn to drive manual (I don't like the automatic options for 4-down). I heard there might be trailers you can slide under the RV while parked to save room? Or is that wrong?

Currently working on moving into it... I want out of my apartment now that I have it and it's at a friend's place.
Lexir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:55 PM   #163

Thank you everyone for all of your advice! I am reading through it and learning a lot.
Lexir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexir View Post
Thank you everyone for all of your advice! I am reading through it and learning a lot.
Thanks, Always good to get back to the Group - Lot of help on the Forum. -
Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #165

Quote:
I ended up buying a 2004 Tiffin Allegro with reasonable mileage at a great price.

Still trying to figure out whether I want to pull a trailer or sell my prius for a 4-down and learn to drive manual (I don't like the automatic options for 4-down). I heard there might be trailers you can slide under the RV while parked to save room? Or is that wrong?

Currently working on moving into it... I want out of my apartment now that I have it and it's at a friend's place.
Lexir - Photos of your 2004 Tiffin Allegro??

We own an older TA in great condition. It's a rather small one. Just great for our occasional jaunts. Private, walk around bed room too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3361.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	285968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3373.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	285969  

Old 05-19-2020, 07:43 AM   #166

Towing the Prius

Quote:

Congratulations on the new to you Tiffin! One thing I would encourage you to do is spend some time on the roof making sure everything is sealed tight. Lap sealant such as Sikaflex 505UV and Eternabond tape will keep it dry for a long time to come.

Based on your original statement of staying put for stretches of time, I personally would be inclined to hang on to the efficient, nimble Prius and find a lightweight 2 axle trailer to haul it. You can use the trailer when you are long-term parked to fetch potable water and dump portable black water tanks. A tow dolly would be another good option for the prius as the drive train wheels are off the ground. The dolly can be stowed upright which takes up very little space.

There ARE automatic transmission vehicles that can be safely towed 4 down.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is my toad (i.e. 4 down towing). My wife has a 2010 Prius, that we towed on a dolly. Sold the dolly, kept the Prius. My toad is a 2016 Chevy Sonic. It comes as a 4 door sedan or the hatchback, seen here. It can have a manual transmission or 6 speed automatic transmission. Both can be towed 4-down (mine is an automatic). I originally bought it to tow behind my 36 foot Class A on a 6,000 mile trip. Got rid of the Class A and replaced it with the Class B, shown. I bought it with 20K miles on it and now it has 60K. I've had zero problems with it. It feels comfortable to drive long distances and gets around 30 mpg (not quite as good as the Prius' 51 mpg+!).Click image for larger version

Name:	20200204_193205.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	286036
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:10 AM   #168

Tiffin Owners Club
You don't have to buy a manual transmission vehicle. If your Allegro can tow up to 4k pounds, the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon 4WD automatic mid size pickups can be towed 4 down. The crew cabs Z71 models qre plentiful on the used market and the 5cyl engine is very reliable and easy / cheap to maintain.

2004 - 2012 model years for sure, but newer may work as well. All you do is put the transfer case in neutral, unlock the steering wheel and tow away! Just bought a 2009 in great shape and towed it 1,000 miles.

Nice side benefit of the Z71 is that it can do some off roading as well as hauling and still has a nice cabin with most bells and whistles. Gas mileage is also not terrible with the 5cyl.

If you are not a pickup truck kind of person, you can check Roadmaster's chart for other 4 down towable vehicles. Many out there such as Hondas, Saturns, Chevy SUVs, etc.

Good luck.
MEC57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase, rvs, single