RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
single jack stability

Just suppose you own a coach with a single center front jack. And suppose you pull into a site where the front is considerably lower than the back. So you level automatically...with the front wheels entirely off the ground. With no blocks or wheel chocks. And you stay that way for a week. Through a couple pretty good storms.

Does that seem safe to you?
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
Just suppose you own a coach with a single center front jack. And suppose you pull into a site where the front is considerably lower than the back. So you level automatically...with the front wheels entirely off the ground. With no blocks or wheel chocks. And you stay that way for a week. Through a couple pretty good storms.

Does that seem safe to you?
No.
edroe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would put blocks under the front wheels. Wheels shouldn't be hanging in the air like that IMO.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
SAFE? - probably
Fore and aft movement is prevented by the real wheels being locked by the parking break. And the jacks will help with that also.
Side to side rocking movement causing it to 'fall off' the front jack isn't likely to happen, the rear wheels and the rear jacks will prevent that. (if it does happen you've likely got a bigger problem - like somebody just backed into your rig)

That said, I don't like to see my front wheels off the ground, it just seems wrong.
So while I think it's safe enough, I agree with those that wooden ramps or blocks under the front wheels. Though if you don't already have those on board that might be hard to do (and if you did have them on board then you probably wouldn't be asking the question).
Old 08-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I certainly wouldn't crawl under it and HOPE it is safe. Nor would I want my coach sitting like that...but to each their own
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our driveway is sloped sufficiently that if leveled the front tires are off the ground. If you are sitting inside and someone walks around, or gets in, you do feel some motion. Not enough to worry about.

I'm "up in the air" on whether it is bad that the front tires don't touch the driveway.

(sorry, after reading that, I realized it was perhaps a bad pun...)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Safe? Yes. Desirable? Probably not. Dangling the front wheels seems to me to stress the suspension in ways it was never designed for. And some motorhomes are known to lack rigidity in the front cap, leading to stresses on the structure and windshield. I would get some blocks under those front wheels so they have at leat some ground contact.

"Safe" doesn't mean you should be crawling under it, whether wheels are touching ground or not. Safety experts always warn against that and demand a fixed jack support in addition to any hydraulic or air suspension.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

We had a coach with the 3 jacks. One campground site the site was sloping as you described. When we started to leave, as normal I lowered the jacks first. The rear jacks came up first and the coach rolled maybe 2 inches which bent the front jack. $300+ later I replaced the jack.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing you're talking about most Monaco motor homes. The single jack is as big as a typical back jack. The system has worked well for a decade. My Monaco had no issue lifting the front tires off of the ground and was still stable.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have been parking at a small campground that we host from May thru September. We have the single jack in the front with 2 in the rear. Our front left tire has been in the air for three years running with no problems whatsoever. It does rock a bit when someone hefty comes in the door, tho.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My point wasn't really about the tires off the ground, but the stability with just a single jack. Maybe it's mostly fine but there's a reason the don't make them like that any more. I've been working on cars my whole life and safe jacking and support is burned into my brain. A single jack is almost the biggest no no in the car world and this is ten times the weight. Nope. No way would I ever do that.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single