RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #1

Sirius Antenna

I have a Sirius radio but no antenna. One of the techs where I bought the MH said I might be able to just put one close to the windshield and possibly it would work. Must of been the way it's angled or something. That would work well because it's so close to the radio.
What do you think? Has anyone installed an antenna for Sirius?
Than you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sirius antennas need a clear view of the southern sky. I think you'll probably have to mount it on the roof for reliable reception.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Sirius antennas need a clear view of the southern sky. I think you'll probably have to mount it on the roof for reliable reception.
we placed a magnetic 'hockey puck' style S/XM antenna on top of our multi-disc CD player in the storage cabinet in front of and above the driver's seat in our previous Class A. the antenna doesn't necessarily have to be on the roof to receive ("see") radio signals. the dash would likely work as that's where the S/XM hockey puck antenna is placed in our Jeep Wrangler. antennas are inexpensive. check Amazon.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I tried the “hockey puck” on our motorhome dashboard. Worked OK but was intermittent as we moved down the road. Seemed to lose signal as we went under trees etc. Replaced it with a roof mount that is AWESOME! Shakespeare SRA-50 Galaxy SiriusXM Satellite Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010F5LUOY..._czUcAbCK7X36Y
Shakespeare SRA-50 Galaxy SiriusXM Satellite Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010F5LUOY..._czUcAbCK7X36Y
Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

Mine is on my dash and as others have stated it will intermittently drop the signal when traveling I’m going to look into a roof mount
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

The original SiruisXM antenna was improperly installed under the front cap. I was mangled in the harness and failed to work. The factory fix was to put the antenna in the windshield. That was highly directional and did not work when we were headed north.

I installed a new antenna under the front cap. I did not want to penetrate the roof. I had access to the area by removing the front TV and mounted the antenna to part of the frame.

The ultimate location would be on the roof but so far the only time we had reception problem was when we were headed northeast up in the Canadian Maritimes where the structure of the RV was between the antenna and the satellite.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #7

Previous owner installed one on the roof of our RV drilling/dicor-ing a hole in the fiberglass cap above one of the front cabinets. He also has the wire and antenna dicor'd to the roof extremely well. Then the wire comes down the A-pillar trim under the dash and out the hole for the rear camera display. Have never had an issue with water (thank god) and always get a signal.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
ThomB post #7 hit the nail on the head. You already have holes drilled in your front cap. Well you do if you have yellow clearance lights which I know you do.

Use a light on the left or drivers side because most likely the wire feeding the voltage for that CL's is coming from the drivers side of the dash. Take the yellow CL cover off and there's a hole for the 12V wire which operates it.

The hole for your CL voltage is to small to get your antenna fitting through so you may have to enlarge it or add one. When you are done just seal the hole and there's no worry about water getting under the cover and through the new hole.

Check in the cabinet under that area to locate the wires and route it down and across to the window post to the dash area and to the radio. I doubt it took me 30 minutes to connect.

We bought a portable Sirius radio so we could move it from the RV back to the car and it's mounted on the dash of the RV. The antenna on the roof has to be stuck on with double sided tape. After 5 years all is well.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Ooook. As usual your all " The Best ".
Thanks for the quick responses.
Have a Great Day!!
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I had good luck attaching the Sirius antenna to the underside of the front cap, thus avoiding having to make a hole in the roof. The signal can easily get through fiberglass (hence the fiberglass domes on in-motion satellite dishes), just can't go through metal. Choose a spot where there is no metal structure nearby that could block the signal, no wires or roof-mounted objects above it, and you should be fine.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #11

As others replied I tried on dash different places and inside top cupboards and signal wasn't that great. Breaking up from time to time. I Dicor the puck on the roof and ran wire below rain gunnel and made a hole to be inside cabinet and ran it inside the windshield side cover. I hate doing holes on roof or close to it. I feel on the sides is better. ( My thoughts) Works great now anywhere I go
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #12

Mine is under the front cap; the installer put it on a metal plate screwed to the back of the old TV cabinet, so it's right under the top of the cap. It works well, only the slightest bit directional, maybe a few dropouts but not many. When I do have dropouts, it's almost always from trees or mountains.

As long as you can reach the inside of the cap through your TV cabinet, that's almost as good as putting it on the roof.

Tags
antenna