Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #1

i have purchased a sirius radio for my MH 02DSDP and I am searching for some info as to how to install for best reception.
WalterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #2

i have purchased a sirius radio for my MH 02DSDP and I am searching for some info as to how to install for best reception.
WalterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You are talking about the location of the antenna? What Sirius hardware did you get and what sort of antenna does it have? External or is it one of the plug and play boxes that I guess have an integrated, internal antenna?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Walter and welcome to iRV2. I've installed more of these than I can remember. The following suggestions assume the radio is a seperate unit and not integrated with the radio that came with your coach. Consider the following:
1. Determine where you want the radio to be placed. This is important to determine before running wires.
1a. Determine if the radio requires 12V DC or has an adapter the reduces the voltage from 12V to 5.6V DC or someting like that. If the adapter is there, consider purchasing a female 12V extension cord. Most all auto supply stores sell these. This will allow you to hide the radio power wires in the dash instead of having them hanging off a 12V DC plug, in front of the dash.

2. The antenna that receives the signal from the satellite needs to be on the coach roof. Some may have luck placing them underneath the fiberglass front cap, but for me, this has not worked. There are two ways to run the wire:
2a. Drill a hole at an appropriate place so the wire can be fed through the roof and down one of the side windshield pillars to the dash. I always use the driver's side pillar.
2b. Remove a front running light (I use the top left light) and run the antenna wire into the coach via the same hole used by the running light wire.

Choice 2a and 2b are very coach unique. Either choice you will need to fish the wire through parts of the coach not accessable by direct contact. Old style metal coat hangers are good for this task. It depends on how easy it is to run the wire down the windshield side pillar behind the plastic molding. I use the driver's side pilar because it has been easier for me to run the wire inside the dash from the driver's side.

3. Depending on the kit purchased; there should be choices on how the coach radio will receive the signal. Determine what choices you have and what is best for your coach specific installation. If one of your choices is to place an induction type device on the coach radio antenna wire, I carefully strip the outer insluation from the coach radio antenna wire (just the outer insulation) and then install the induction type device over the coach antenna wire. I do this about 6 inches from the coach radio. This should provide a signal strong enough to limit you having to change radio frequencies because of a competing local radio station.

4. Find the 12V power source and a ground wire. Take the 12V extension cord purchased in step 1a and cut the cord, leaving as much wire on the female end of the cord as you will need to splice into your 12V power source and ground.
After you make the power splices, plug the radio power wire into the receptical. Use a few wraps of electrical tape to ensure the connection stays together.

5. Place all wires where they will not rub and fray as the coach moves down the road. Close up the dash.

6. Mount the radio.

7. enjoy.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #5

For me the Antenna is above the TV on a metal frame under the fiber glass roof. Works great.

I also put another Antenna in the bedroom inside a cabinet close to the roof. This also works well. I can move my Sirius rec. from the dash to the bedroom.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
rvten, I'm just curious how did you run from radio to above tv? Thanks
somarmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #7

Back side of TV is open. On our MH. We have a split windhield. SO I ran the ANT cable down the center of windshiled, there is a cover there. Cable does lay on dash but is very short. I have an old style rec. that sits on top of dash. Winnebago used many of these rec. in the past. Kenwood Plug & Play rec.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Sirius Sportster. I installed the car kit on dash and hard wired it to the radio. I attached the antenna to the top with construction adhesive, then ran the cable thru a hole in the clearance light, down the drivers side window pillar, under the dash and plugged into the car adapter.

Sure is nice having good music on long trips.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Channel 10 is killer !

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #10

Stuck my antenna to the roof using 3M super strength double sided tape. Put it on the fiberglass cap not the rubber roof. Ran the wire in through the drivers door under the dash to the receiver. Used white duct tape to secure the short run of wire from the antenna to the drivers door. Looks ok, may redo the cable run at a later date but, when I did it I was in a rest stop on US-58 in VA and just laying it on the dash wasn't working.

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote