Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sirius XM.

Ok I have a 97 Fleetwood Southwind on an F53 Ford Chassis
Pre XM now Sirius I am going to install Sirius to the existing radio system which
I have done to My 2006 Hyundai Azera using the tape deck so as not loosing the frequency while traveling. My question is has anyone ever done this and either placed the magnetic antenna on a piece of metal on the dash board or used the antenna that comes with the home kit.
Sorry for being long winded.
Have A Great Day.
Digger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #2

I use an echo dot(Alexa) and stream Sirius. Uses a little bit of data, but no additional monthly fee (I have a subscription for my car) Works great. You could of course stream to your phone as well.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger01 View Post
Pre XM now Sirius I am going to install Sirius to the existing radio system which
I have done to My 2006 Hyundai Azera using the tape deck so as not loosing the frequency while traveling. My question is has anyone ever done this and either placed the magnetic antenna on a piece of metal on the dash board or used the antenna that comes with the home kit.
Have A Great Day.
Either XM/Sirius antenna will work but it has to have a clear view of the sky. On your dash will work when the rig is pointed in the right direction but not all the time. I'm using a magnetic antenna on our fiberglass roof and attached it with a dab of silicon sealant.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #4

Like you, I did such installation in a 2004 Suzuki XL-7 I used to own, using the roof antenna it came with the radio kit. I think installing it in a motorhome would be even easier. More room to route and hide the antenna cable.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
We originally placed our XM antenna on the dash but later moved it to a compartment above the steering wheel area placed on piece of metal just under the fiberglass front cap.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe this will give you some ideas!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/add...or-151186.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger01 View Post
Have A Great Day.
The magnetic antenna DOES NOT NEED TO BE ATTACHED to any metal. Originally I had the antenna on the dash at the base of the windshield, but lost signal if travelling Northbound most times. I now have the magnetic antenna on the roof for optimum reception. The only time we lose the signal is in a tunnel or near a high cliff blocking line of sight to the satellite.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #8

I have my Sirius/XM antenna above the front TV. Remove TV, cut through the paneling and insulation and stuff antenna above insulation, up against the fiber glass cap, as far to the rear as possible. Tape insulation and paneling back in place.
The antenna wire can be run to the left just above the windshield and down the left A post and across the dash to the radio.
No holes in the coach and every thing stays dry.

Richard
Old 11-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Originally I had the antenna on the dash at the base of the windshield, but lost signal if travelling Northbound most times.

Yes it wants to face south. But we have ours by the windshield and when driving direction is too far off of south (basically north) we turn it to face south. It picks up the signal through the roof of our motor home.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #10

We found a truckers hack for the Sirius magnetic puck to avoid having to cut a hole in the RV roof. We routed the wire from the radio to a compartment near the roof. We added the puck to an aluminum pie pan with a small piece of steel underneath so the magnet in the puck holds it in place. We have great reception, losing it only when even a roof mounted antenna would be obstructed. (due to trees, in the wind river canyon, etc.)
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote