RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Size Limits

Wondering who (if any) here have actually been pulled-over & stopped by Law or DOT enforcement to check the combined length of their rig (motorhome & tow vehicle or trailer).

If you have, please indicate the State in which it happened, when and what the outcome was.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #2

never

unless you give them a 'reason' to, they don't spend their time worrying about it
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Wondering who (if any) here have actually been pulled-over & stopped by Law or DOT enforcement to check the combined length of their rig (motorhome & tow vehicle or trailer).

If you have, please indicate the State in which it happened, when and what the outcome was.
To All; Apologies, after posting my question on size limits, I ran across a similar topic thread which has already be responded to by many - consensus being that stops do not usually occur due to overall length.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rv-a...-a-323916.html
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I travel all over central US and East Coast - I'm 68.5 ft- never even get a second look. Now Florida does Look and will pull you over if they suspect your over length. For Florida I have an annual over length Permit, covers up to 80 ft. $20 a year. " My stay out of Jail Card"
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm guessing that unless you are obviously over length (by more than a few feet) you are not going to be stopped for it. We used to "double bottom" and I asked 3 different traffic law agencies and all 3 told me to not worry about it, that they never checked for over length and the only way they thought it may come into play would be if I were involved in an accident and my length looked like it contributed to the accident.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #6

We're 75' long and no problems anywhere. However, to be comfortable, I buy a $16 oversize permit when we travel in CA. Our son is 78' and we have talked to people who are over 80' and no problems. All drive safely and under the speed limits.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote