Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #1

Size of corrugated pipe needed for driveway for 45' motorhomes

I am planning on adding an entrance off my county road to my property and need to know what size corrugated pipe do you need for a ditch to handle weight of 45' motorhomes and 5th wheels. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on this along with how to properly install for such heavy vehicles. I know their gross weight is around 51,000 lbs. I also already have a permit for it.
southwestrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2022, 01:10 PM   #2

I think you need to start with the diameter to handle the amount of water flow anticipated. I would think the permit process would have required that up front. The more dirt you can put over the pipe the better, and a concrete driveway with rebar should help spread out the load. (Of course, the dirt and concrete all add to the weight on top the pipe.)
Old 12-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #3

Cover it with 1 pipe diameter of compacted material and call it a day.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had to get a permit and the county road inspector specified a 1' diameter pipe, did not specify type or depth. I bought a 1' metal corrugated pipe 20' long, it was heavy gauge.

There was a shallow ditch along the road already and the way the slope was I could not put the culvert that deep. So I dug a trench with my backhoe that would allow drainage but it did not really provide enough depth to put a layer of compacted dirt on top. I ended up pouring (bag mix type) over the culvert so it flowed down the sides and put about +4" thick on top with rebar.

It seems to have worked. I've had dozens of heavy gravel, delivery, and concrete trucks come across the culvert over the last 5 years while I was building my house and garage. . Not sure if it would have held up if I hadn't poured the concrete over the top.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:10 PM   #5

not an expert

Whomever sells you the culvert should have the load capabilities.
Probable per linear ft.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A one foot diameter pipe is not very big. How are you going to keep it clean ?
I'd go with at least 2' and bury it 2' below grade.
But that's just me.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't had a problem with it getting blocked yet. During heavy rains there is a substantial amount of water flowing down the ditch and it washes everything out. Being a smaller diameter the water has quite a bit of velocity, enough to wash everything through it.

If needed I'll make some sort of tool to pull any stuck debris out but so far so good.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #8

I have 2 driveways...one at each end of property
Both have 12" Diameter steel pipe with 4" concrete driveway over one and 6" compacted dirt/pee gravel over the other

Both have been there since 1997........driven over with various size/weight vehicles.

4 yrs ago I added screens to inlet/outlet to keep Skunks out
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I have 2 driveways...one at each end of property
Both have 12" Diameter steel pipe with 4" concrete driveway over one and 6" compacted dirt/pee gravel over the other

Both have been there since 1997........driven over with various size/weight vehicles.

4 yrs ago I added screens to inlet/outlet to keep Skunks out
I would think that any screen that was skunk proof would collect a lot of debris?
Old 12-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #10

Some government agency maintains the road usually. In North Carolina my road in the county is governed by NCDOT. You probably have a similar agency for yours if state maintained. They regulate the diameter and material type of culverts.
In NC 12" fit the bill on the 50 or so I contracted to have installed. As posted above, the existing grade and ditch determine how deep you can place the pipe and how much fill you can place on top. Compaction around the pipe helps support the pipe. Placing the pipe and back filling with concrete is about the best you could do. Of all the pipes I was involved with none collapsed even with full concrete trucks and 120 ton cranes crossing them. Some of them with as little as 6" cover over the top.

12", as deep as you can with good compaction around the pipe.

If you plan on a lot of traffic you may want to place a concrete reinforced apron from the road surface over the pipe and back onto your property about 6'. This will help prevent the road surface from eroding at the edge.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Compaction around the pipe helps support the pipe...

Some of them with as little as 6" cover over the top...

... as deep as you can with good compaction around the pipe.

X2 on all the above. Compacting *around* the pipe along its entire length is as important, if not more so, than what is over the pipe. The cylinder can support a lot of weight if it is not allowed to flatten/bulge out on the sides.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I would think that any screen that was skunk proof would collect a lot of debris?
That's why you clean them as necessary
Which is not often enough to be an issue

Sure lot less than having SKUNKS living in them
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That's why you clean them as necessary
Which is not often enough to be an issue

Sure lot less than having SKUNKS living in them
I would gladly spend some time cleaning the screen to avoid the skunks. I presume only one side has a real issue.

I just remember the storm sewer the city installed in my back yard (at my request) and how it backed up during a hurricane. Had to go out in middle of storm and clear the debris, was not fun. Thankfully, where I was at, we only saw tropical storm force winds.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not running your business but think about the grade the ditch you are crossing falls at. Might be a bit narrow at 12" but it would likely work unless there is a cloudburst. My drive pipe is 12" (concrete) and on my private property. We have some heavy rains here but the rain is falling on a field that is on my property and does not drain a highway. County would have the say on their roads'
I've had loaded concrete trucks, sewage pump truck and bucket trucks across it. No damage.
Flow would be my only concern if I was in your situation
doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, motorhomes