Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #15

Man that really sounds like fun!! We are thinking about taking our DP to Taos, NM and skiing there this winter. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to winterize or not!
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
Hey, Mgosselin, we were at Mammoth at that time. Is that you next to us in this picture? We'll be there between Christmas and New Years this year. Need to get back to LA in time to see the Badgers play in the Rose Bowl. (picture shows our old rig.)

Attachment 16150
Bryan,

That is not us, we are down closer to the main restroom. I think it is spot 55 we stay in every year. Last years storms were awesome. Thanksgiving weekend we had 6 feet. Kids were part of snowboard & ski team for 3 years. We have reservations also but if it does not snow we are going to head to Lake Havasu and go 4 wheeling. We Have Gamecocks vs Nebraska on the Jan 2nd we have to be back for. Wife & I both went to THE USC (South Carolina Gamecocks)
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40GnTX View Post
Man that really sounds like fun!! We are thinking about taking our DP to Taos, NM and skiing there this winter. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to winterize or not!
We have never winterized. I have one stand of x-mas lights by the tanks underneath and an automatic heater that comes on if needed to keep water pump from freezing. I have wrapped all the pipes that are exposed in the storage bays and we have one vent that pumps heat into the area when the heater is on.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #18

Mike, this will be our first ski season in a coach with propane heat and slide outs. (Old one was bus conversion with no slides and diesel heat.) While in Mammoth, how long can you stay warm on propane before you need to refill? I'm hoping for a whole week, but don't know if that is realistic. Also, during those big snows, did you pull in your slides, or how did you handle the accumulation. I can see from the photos that you were sweeping the roof. Thanks for sharing your experience.!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
Mike, this will be our first ski season in a coach with propane heat and slide outs. (Old one was bus conversion with no slides and diesel heat.) While in Mammoth, how long can you stay warm on propane before you need to refill? I'm hoping for a whole week, but don't know if that is realistic. Also, during those big snows, did you pull in your slides, or how did you handle the accumulation. I can see from the photos that you were sweeping the roof. Thanks for sharing your experience.!
Bryan,

We keep the slides out, but I always try to get the snow off the slide topers as soon as possible. Normally just bring in the slide to clean it and put it right back out. If I pull in with a full tank of LP then i have gone up to 14 days without having to refill. We usually cook about half the nights and eat out about half the nights. I want to say we keep the front set at 70-72 for the kids and 66-68 in the back for us at night. During the day i normally switch it off if it is going to be a nice day or set it at 63-65 (Front only) for the day. We normally have to dump grey tank after 4-6 days. I had a nice draft on my passenger side slide last year and hope the changes we made take care of that. Have a great time and maybe we will see you up there. We are doing are snow dance daily trying to help the conditions.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #20

I can't tell you how happy I am to see this thread. I need to make a decision on which RV to buy tomorrow to do just this, albeit for 3 months at some 30 resorts (if all works out as planned... which it likely won't).

So all you folks with class As... I see mention of the propane lasting pretty long, but is that because you are augmenting heat with shore power? I expect to be boondocking so won't have that luxury. Also, are you all running dual pane windows? The coach I'm looking at has single pane and I understand that is not desirable for heating nor condensation. How how big an issue is this really? Is it tolerable or forget it and go for the unit with full winter prep (which is a far less nice and less spacious class C)?

How much trouble you have getting the engine started? I'm concerned about having to spend a couple hours on genny time to run the block heater before I can start every morning... especially since the genny is a diesel unit too (so what if IT doesn't want to start?)

Finally... looks like you are all staying at rv parks... what is the reality of boondocking? I know alot of ski towns like Aspen make that all but impossible... how far out of town do you typically have to go to find a spot you can park for the night? Am I just asking for trouble?

Wish I had another month or 2 to plan, but the clock is ticking...
frEEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #21

Freek, I think boondocking near most ski areas will not be easy, or even possible. State and Nat. forest campgrounds will be closed. In summer you can pull off into Forest Service land or park in a WalMart or super market parking lot for a single night, but in winter in the mountains, the forest service roads will not be plowed and parking lots, city and county roads prohibit overnite parking to allow for plowing. I really doubt you can find a place to stay overnight within reasonable distance of most ski resorts.

Moreover, boondocking in really cold weather requires planning and proper set up. It requires both good house batteries and propane or diesel heat. I've spent a number of nights unplugged in sub-freezing weather while traveling (not in snow areas) and even with a super-sized battery bank the batteries would be nearly depleted by morning by the electric draw from running the furnace. Generator use is, at the least rude, and more likely not allowed if you are in an urban parking lot situation. (We all owe it to our fellow RVers to be courteous with the use of our rigs, so we don't encourage bad feelings or still more restrictions on how we use and park them.) You also raise a valid concern about starting the gen and drive engines in cold weather. You will need strong start batteries and, depending on the condition of your drive engine, will likely need to warm it for an hour or two whenever below 20 degrees or so, which means running the generator if you are not plugged in. All in all, it's way better to be in a campground where you can get at least 15 amp service to keep your batteries charged and to pre-heat the engine, while your propane heats the rig.

You sound really gung ho about getting started on a long trip. I can relate because I'm pretty impetuous, too. You will decide for yourself what is right, but I really urge you to take your time and be sure to check out and properly set up any rig you buy before you hit the road. It will take a couple of overnights in any new RV just to figurue out how everything works and what needs to be fixed. Problems crop up with all RVs, and it is way easier and cheaper to fix them from your driveway than from a remote town or, heaven forbid, the side of the road. This is even more true in winter. Good luck. We'll see you out there.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #22

Thanks LA-HODOG, that's kinda what I'm expecting. I figured summer would make for a much MUCH easier trip.

The long and the short of it sounds to be that doing the DP route is realistic BUT requires extensive setup and testing. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury right now. So I'm going to have to go the less fun route and use the winter-prepped Class C. Bummer. First world problems eh?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #23

I've never winterized in 5 years and spend the entire winter at temps down to -35F in the rig.

More skiing and RV info links:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/where...er-106035.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/esse...use-45353.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/tire...ml#post1018834
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #24

ottffss, sounds like you got a darn good coach. or burn ALOT of heat.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We used our coach (class A gas puller) multiple times over the past three years. The compartments had no insulation, I put in layers of the pink or silver foam insulation on the inside and outside of the compartments metal walls. The doors were already insulated. Put in another heat and return vent from the furnace into each compartment and added electric heaters for when on shore power. In the three years we had exactly 2 days with frozen pipes, both times when the temp was 7 degrees and there was 30MPH winds. Cranked up the heat and they unfroze mid-day.

Previous to this coach we used a class C which I insulated and heated using the same techniques and had similar success.

In NC, also now in the Northeast, there are very few resorts which allow you to park overnight in their parking lot. Ski Beech in Beech, NC is one which welcomes RV's overnight in their parking lot, we stayed there over the holidays last year for a week, then weekends for the rest of the season. I have not found any in the Northeast so far.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #26

Taos has RV parking first come no hookups in the Employee lot within walking distance of the lifts. I boondock there overnight when I go. There is also a year round RV resort a few miles away "Montebello RV Park".

If the DW can't have a hot shower whats the point of having a Motorhome.

I have done some redesign work on my water system insulating the water compartment and adding a thermo controlled recepticle. I keep either a 100watt trouble light or a small 400watt fan/heater plugged in. I also have an EC30W auto start on my Generator so I don't have to run the Gen Set 24/7. At night all that is on is one LED light, a 100W bulb if the water compartment gets below 36 deg. and the fan on the gas heater. All in all the generator only starts once or twice during the night (depending on how cold it gets) and runs for less than an hour to recharge the batteries. I have done -17 with no problem other than it was too cold to ski, or breathe for that matter.

Colorado is tough on RV and Ski but it is doable, there are some RV parks open you just have to plan ahead. Durango parking is not RV friendly, Wolf Creek has an area by the front gate you can park in. The east side has some RV parks open and Pagosa Springs did not a couple of years ago but I understand there are now a couple open. The hot springs are a must if you stay there.

If you use your head and think ahead RV in the Snow can be alot of fun.