Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Sleeping arrangements

I'm curious...

We are a family of four - two parents, two teenage daughters. We have had a TrailManor trailer when the kids were tiny, a 32' Class C for a number of years, and now a trailer with two bunks and a queen.

I see lots of attractive used DPs but the vast majority have a big rear bedroom and not much in the way of beds other than converting the dinette and /or a sofa. We learned with our Class C that having the sofa always made into someone's bed is kinda inconvenient. We do like having the "permanent" bunks, as it maximizes living space and gives the kids their own hangouts regardless of how long they sleep.

What do you Class A folks do when you need more than just the rear bedroom? Do kids do sleeping bags on the floor and/or the couch conversion? Just wondering what works for you; what you like, and what you trade off (don't like).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

There are lots of Class A motorhomes these days with bunk beds plus the rear master.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Agreed, but mostly new. Used with bunks is pretty limiting.

Curious about what works (and how) for folks with no bunks.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Sleeping arrangements

We have a pullout couch and a jack sofa. We travel with 2 or more teenage and older girls at times.
They have no problem using the couches, many times just sleeping on them without pulling out. When we have all 3 girls 16-23 years old we will pull the bed out for 2 of them and one sleeps on the jack couch leaving it as a sofa.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

Both our dinette and sofa get used for guests.
Bedding goes in to the cabinets under the dinette seats.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #6

Used bunks are hard to find which is why we ended up with new. Love dedicated bunks with two girls, worth every penny. Hard to describe how nice it is for them to have their own space, highly recommend looking for a bunk floorpan.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have twin boys and had the same issue as you. Took me about a year to find ours used and in the price range I was looking for. I would suggest researching the units that have bunks and then searching for those on the used markets. (Winnebago Sightseer 35j, Sunova 35B, Vista 35B, Fleetwood Expedition, Fleetwood Storm to name a few off the top of my head)

Searching for “Bunks” seemed to yield mixed results as some would label the couch and dinettes as able to be covered to Bunks, and many of the new units have the drop down bunk over the cab.

Hope that helps. For what it’s worth, we have a Sunova 35J and have been very happy with the floor plan. Couple little things I would tweak if I built it myself, but overall it’s a well thought out unit. We took to Disney for 2 weeks this summer and nobody was climbing the walls.

Edit: (Afterthought). Winnie starting making the bunk model in 2007 and I remember Fleetwood did as well somewhere in that timeframe (a friend has a 11 Expedition which is what inspired me on mine) so there is definitely some “older” ones out there.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #8

Just like the OP I have 2 teen kids. I purchased a new 2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F. Not interested in a DP after having owned one in the past.

King bed for us, 2 dedicated bunks for the kids + jack knife couch, dinette sleeper, and a big drop down bunk over the driver and passenger seats = 6 sleeping areas. (In case the kids want to bring friends)

Two FULL baths = TWO SHOWERS. Add the unlimited hot water and now getting everyone ready takes half the time.

5 TV's, Full wall slide, washer / drier, and all the other upgrades made an easy choice for us.

My wifes favorite part... no beds to set up or take down all the time.

Maybe they make something like this in your budget? We highly recommend the bunks for the kids.
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #9

Also agree the bunks are incredibly nice to have with kids. Not sure about the DP selection of this type of floor plan but we also bought a new Fleetwood Flair LXE 31B and have been incredibly happy with it. We have slept 9 total in it when some friends and their kids came along and there was plenty of room with no bumping elbows.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #10

We have three teenage boys, plus a friend often times. We have a pullout sofa as well as a jack sofa. Two sleep on the pullout and one will sleep on the other sofa, often times someone sleeps on a self-inflating foam matt on the floor as well. Not ideal, but in the summertime we try and kick them all outside to "enjoy" tents.
deboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks everyone - this is all good food for thought...
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

I had limited sleeping space in my DP. I ended up replacing the table and chairs with a booth/dinette. We feel its more comfortable and now we have another sleeping space. Cost is around 2,000, which is about the cost of a good flex steel couch.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

The two of us full-time. We got rid of the jack-knife and pull out sofas and installed a media center/fireplace and reclining theater seating.

My daughter visited over Christmas and we simply inflated a twin mattress (18" high) that was plenty comfortable - and yes, that is a temporary solution as you have to deflate it each morning.

Bunk beds are a great idea - AND, when the kids stop coming along you can install a stacked washer/dryer and a personal Infrared sauna in the same footprint!

Enjoy travelling with the kids! Go for the bunk beds - kids need to have some square footage to call their own.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we were traveling for years we pulled a 12' pop-up because we traveled with many foster children through states and P.E.I to FL. and Disney world, would usually rent a van at destinations.
In 2000 we bought a sleeper pop-up with only beds that popped out to sides with the door on rear of pop-up that was made by Dutchman, that pop-up had more miles on it than some of my 6 MH's.
Always made sure it had new tires after a blow out one time and tire wrapped around axle before being warned by passing motorist.
We had a divan and sometimes a dinette that could be made into bed.
Worked for us with a class A, some states allow you to pull a train if you have a TT or 5th wheel but depends where your located.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote