Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Slide cover

I have a full wall slide that the metal support that holds the canvas up when the slide is open has broken. The middle support arms have come lose and would not let me close the slide. I was able to move the arms out of the way of the room so I could close. My question, has anyone tried to do this repair themselves or is it best left to a service center. Thanks
tbird2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #2

A picture of where it's failed would certainly help. I assume it's a Girard awning? Are the articulating joints (between the aluminum arms) plastic? It is not uncommon to have those fail/crack, most generally from excessive weight on the canvas from either snow or rain, and quite often excessive wind. Not a hard job to tackle but seeing where it failed would help determine how complex the repair is going to be.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

No it's not the Girard, it is the awning that covers the full room slide when extended to keep water etc.. from sitting on top of slide. There is a metal support that runs the length of the slide that helps to support the awning. I believe the fix would be straight forward if I could get to the parts that are broken. But not sure shat would be the best way to remove the awning in order to get the parts that will be needed to be replaced. The part that has failed is in the center of the awning and cannot be reached without removing. The awning is held in place to the body of the coach by a rail that runs the length of the awning and has a plastic rod that keeps it in place. I believe if I can release the tension on the awning, I could pull this rod out to give me access to the failed parts. Just not familiar with how those awnings are put under tension. If anyone has worked with either replacing or repairing your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. The closest repair center for American coach is end of January before they can look at it. Puts me out of commission longer than I would like, reason I would like to attempt myself with help of course. :-)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

Ok, it's referred to as a slide topper. Which brand/model is it? Depending upon which brand you have will make a huge difference in how to tackle repairing it, and how to hold the tension.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
A phone to American Coach (Fleetwood) would be my first move to see about getting the parts needed shipped to me, second while on the phone (service dept.) ask for someone to explain the procedure for repairing this and replacing the broken parts. From what I have read on here they will be more than accommodating to your problems and needs. I would suspect that at the very least you will need someone to help you that has the ability to aid you(without you getting frustrated with them) and your repair will go a lot better. I would say that the topper will have to come off, one end or the other or completely to make the repairs , then reinstalled. Study up and do a search on here for "setting tension on slide topper" or refer to mfg. instructions that you might have on the topper installation and repair. Be careful of the tension on it and understand exactly what you have to do before starting the job.(don't want you to get hurt)
Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #6

I did talk to American coach last week, and they suggested taking to dealer, and that's when I found out how long it would take to get me in for service. I think it is a good idea to talk to someone in service that may be able to give me some on hands advice to see if this is something I want to attempt myself. And you are correct they are always very helpful in helping those of us who are inclined to be DIY types.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
YouTube has a lot of good how-to videos. I had to take my slide topper apart this summer. The videos had a lot of good tricks for removal and installation.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #8

I have called and talked to care free and they no longer produce the lift mechanism for the full room slide topper. Does anyone know of a aftermarket source for a lift system or do I just remove and not replace. Thanks