Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 08:05 PM   #1

Slide-out bracket bent!! Help...:)

Hi everybody, hope your enjoying your rigs!

(Pictures rotated to the left for some reason when uploading, sorry, will re- upload..)
I noticed my living room slide-out was stopping about 4 inches short before fully extending. I took a look underneath and saw the shocking carnage.. Haha..
Please see pictures..bracket bent, seems like it didn't auto cut off when something was in the way of slide inside of RV when retracting, and middle track tried to keep going.. just a guess..

Point #1: it has been this way for many months now, but the slide has been used many times with no problems, works the same everytime.. It looks bad, but it has still worked good.

Point#2: My impossible dream is that somehow I can fix this on my own, or with a few hours of help from metal worker/welder etc. Can't afford shop rates right now.

I am including pics. It's a class A 97 Thor Residency by Ford, 35', with only the one side out. I looked at a lot of you tube videos and forum posts, did not find exact similar issue..I will update with info on identifying slide out info, as I saw requested in the forums... THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!!! I'm currently living in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200511_112512522_HDR.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	286537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200511_112537381_HDR.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	286540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200511_112539764_HDR.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	286541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200511_112454873_HDR.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	286542  

97residency is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #2

Looks like a straight forward repair. Straighten the steel brackets, weld any cracks and reinforce if required. Biggest part of the job is removal of the furniture in the slide so you can fix the floor where the carriage bolts pulled through. Once you get that fixed you can reassemble. I would check the timing from one side to the other, did it jump a tooth on the rack or some other issue.
If you are patient and mechanically inclined this should be a job for a do it yourselfer.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:04 PM   #3

Unfortunately , I believe you'll find that the slide floor has water damage that weakened it allowing the lag bolt to pull through.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Yep, strip it down, repair the floor, straighten out the brackets, and you will be back in buisness.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #5

Maybe make the plate bigger for moved/more bolts. Possibly thin 1/16" ish backup plate top of floor . If if it can be hidden by carpet.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Maybe make the plate bigger for moved/more bolts. Possibly thin 1/16" ish backup plate top of floor . If if it can be hidden by carpet.

I would repair the floor and any water damage (find leak) and put plates on both side of the floor. I would use 1/8 or bigger and make the plate 2 of 3 time the current area of the bracket. Bolt at the edge of the backing plate.

Had a similar problem with a slide on a 5th wheel. Made a new bracket out of 1/4 thick 6" angle. They were about 12" long. Then bolted with a 3/16 backing plate on the back (floor) side. The original brackets were like 4" wide by 2" and the attached with 2 bolts. The bracket was only 2" wide where it The bracket would rock out when the slide was extended and pull in when retracting the slide. The bigger brackets with the backing plates solved the problem.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with the rot issue. Carriage bolts are pretty stout in good wood.

Many good ideas here to permanently fix it....as long as you find and repair the cause of the water entry.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #8

Elevator bolts have larger flatter heads than carriage bolts might help as well any way you decide to repair. If you use a backing plate you will need to make holes squared a bit or just big enough to get the corners to lock in . Pull them in with nuts or hammer them in a head of time.
https://www.mcmaster.com/elevator-bo...d-size~3-8-16/
Old 05-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #9

Forgot to add if you go with doubled plates and more area and more bolts you could down size the bolts to make it easier . 4 to 6 medium strength 1/4" elevator or carriage bolts will give a lot of strength. Maybe 4 @ 5/16 or 6 at 1/4.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #10

Wow! Fixed!

You guys are amazing. I got so many immediate replies to my post. I got it to work! There's still some work to do, but basically I hammered out the one bolt that had been pulled halfway through the floor, as well as the second bolt that was bent. The third, shorter bolt was fine. Of course once I pulled the slide in a bit, the outside metal bracket sort of bent back to normal, only about a fourth of the bracket showed a I chance for breakage, but it's almost as though they designed it to where most of the bracket wasn't held down anywhere and didn't have any type of crack or tear. Hopefully that makes sense ..haha..From there I just got large mounting washers used for homes, put the new bolt in, and tried it. It was a really exciting moment to see my slide go all the way to the wall.
I actually wasn't able to get the other bolt back in, the bracket is about a fourth of an inch away from the original hole. I know I shouldn't operate the slide too much without that bolt in. The second thing to work on is: checked the floor area after wards, and clearly that area of the floor is weak, although it looks and feels normal, because about a half a foot of area was slightly pulled down and warped. So I will get something large to cover and reinforce a lot of that area.
Not sure what yet.

Don't think there is a leak, but seem to remember a water spill in that area a while back, with the carpet ripped out and subflooring exposed. Smooth move 🤓🙈

And we'll see how to get the bracket to line up over 3rd bolt hole.

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!! it really touched my heart. You never know what someone is going through, and in this case, fixing this was a really big deal for me right now..it had been that way for a while, without the forum I wouldn't have had a clue. It's amazing how much four inches or so of extra space can make the area feel so much bigger. And probably a better seal now.

I'll may post a few more items at some point, I'm renovating it and living in it out in a southern California desert..

Again... THANK YOU!!
97residency is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide