Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

Slide out seals

When extending my coach slide outs, the seals(strips) do not always unfold properly - part of the strip will unfold to seal while part of the strip remains unfolded creating gapes that could allow water to enter. Any remedies?
fshipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

The rubber does dry out over time. Get some good treatment on them. They should flex better.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had the same problem including a leak in wet weather at the top of one. My solution was to install a black high density foam weather stripping up the slideout wall about 2 inches from the coach sidewall when open. The foam weather stipping was adhesive backed and 1" wide and 1/4" thick. Since it is installed close to the sidewall, it is barely noticeable unless you are looking for it.
When the slide opens, the wiper gasket hits the weatherstripping shortly after it starts and if it hasnt already flipped, does so when it hits the weathestripping. Likewise, when closing it flips it just before it stops. Found out that it is about 95+% effective - occasionally the top of one side misses. A cheap and turned out to be, an effective solution for a tricky problem.
As Todd mentioned, be sure to get some gasket lubricant as it will keed the seals flexible and is easily applied a couple of times a year.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Two ways I've seen but have not had to try yet. 1. use a silicone slide seal spray liberally on the seals when they are flexed one way then put slide in just until the seals flip and again spray liberally. Do a few times and see if it is fixed. 2. another way that is probably in addition to #1 is to put a special "grippy" non-skid type tape made for the purpose on the slides themselves as far inboard as you can get it. The purpose is for the tape to apply more friction to the seal to draw it in/out. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshipton View Post
When extending my coach slide outs, the seals(strips) do not always unfold properly - part of the strip will unfold to seal while part of the strip remains unfolded creating gapes that could allow water to enter. Any remedies?
Get some seal lube and get after the seals. If they get too stiff, nothing will really help. Spray silicone works for me.. Good luck .
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DW with awning hook then i come along and do the high part, gets better after lubing seals
Old 03-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I use Aerospace 303 on my seals and I've been happy with it. If your seals are just a bit dried out it might help. If your seals are really dried replacement may be the only fix.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

Thanks for your advice
Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #9

Thank you for your response. I'll apply the spray tomorrow
Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
JWN

I use 303 on slide gasket flaps, but still had a section that would not flip out. Found a solution from someone on Tiffin forum. Place a vertical column of clear sticky tabs used for cabinet doors about a couple inches from the slide wall edge. Works great and can not see them.
JWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought body side molding and installed it vertically about 2" in from the outside edge. It pushes the seal in and out in both directions. The kind I bought is about 3/16" high and about 1" wide.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I bought body side molding and installed it vertically about 2" in from the outside edge. It pushes the seal in and out in both directions. The kind I bought is about 3/16" high and about 1" wide.
I did the same thing on all my slideouts.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #13

fshipton-

"MonacoMama" has a set of photos and posts on replacing the slide gaskets for a full-length slide. The photos include pictures of the non-skid tape used to flip the gasket. Here's a link to her photo gallery for that project.

I could not find specs on the tape she used. You may want to search yourself, and if you come up empty-handed send her a private message. She now goes by member name "Damon Diva." Here is a recent thread with posts from her.

In the threads describing use of non-skid tape, there are cautions to use the "less non-skid" type, or otherwise the tape may wear through the gasket.

I hope this helps.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
great info

Tags
seal, seals, slide, slide out