Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #1

Slide out will not extend with motor or manually

I recently got rid of my 1994 Rexhall for a 1998 National Sea View 8330. This unit has a slide out but when going to extend the slide for the first time after getting it the motor kept making a grinding noise. After speaking to a few friends and coworkers at Camping World I was told that I can manually extend my slide out. I took the motor apart and used the tool designed to manually extend the slide and still could not get it to budge. Iíve lubricated the seals and the gears as well as the tracks. The slide out does appear to be off level and my rig is reading level. Iím not sure if this is causing the issue or how I would go about fixing it. This forum and its contributors have helped me tremendously with my Aerbus. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
AndrewJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #2

If it is on a declining lip, the wood could be rotten and holding it in place. You will need some man power. If you took the motor loose or out, it should be free to work in. Sometimes you can disconnect too much and it not work altogether manually or electronically. Some of the manual gears need each other to turn. Itís one hole to put your part into bot it is linked to another gear to turn both sides. Try posting a picture.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Kienus;5930655]If it is on a declining lip, the wood could be rotten and holding it in place. You will need some man power. If you took the motor loose or out, it should be free to work in. Sometimes you can disconnect too much and it not work altogether manually or electronically. Some of the manual gears need each other to turn. Itís one hole to put your part into bot it is linked to another gear to turn both sides. Try posting a picture.[/Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	344437
Old 09-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #4

[QUOTE=AndrewJordan;5930677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienus View Post
If it is on a declining lip, the wood could be rotten and holding it in place. You will need some man power. If you took the motor loose or out, it should be free to work in. Sometimes you can disconnect too much and it not work altogether manually or electronically. Some of the manual gears need each other to turn. Itís one hole to put your part into bot it is linked to another gear to turn both sides. Try posting a picture.[/Attachment 344437

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	344438
Old 09-27-2021, 10:02 PM   #5

Are you close to North Carolina by chance?
Old 09-27-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

Check the rod thatís going into the round hole to the left of your picture. See if itís turning on both ends when you turn your gears manually. Sometimes the Carter pin can/will come loose. Or a screw/bolt.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Check the rod thatís going into the round hole to the left of your picture. See if itís turning on both ends when you turn your gears manually. Sometimes the Carter pin can/will come loose. Or a screw/bolt.

Iím in Orange Beach Al. Both sides do turn but I can only get them to move a half turn even with one person on each side. The Carter pins appear to be snug i checked all of the bolts to make sure they were tight earlier and I was able to tighten the black roller in the picture but those were the only ones loose. There is a very small part of the floor right above the rail in the picture that is somewhat soft and could probably use some tlc but doesnít appear to be rotten. Iíve been trying to watch videos and read articles but canít seem to find anything similar to what Iím dealing with lol
Old 09-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #8

Iím in Huntsville Alabama but my buddy has a shop in NC.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Iím in Huntsville Alabama but my buddy has a shop in NC.

Oh ok yea Iím a little far away lol
Old 09-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #10

Check for a "slide locking device". Some slides have device that prevents them from moving while traveling. It could be something as simple as a rod between the front slide flange and the outside wall, think sliding glass door with a rod in the track preventing it from being pried opening.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
Check for a "slide locking device". Some slides have device that prevents them from moving while traveling. It could be something as simple as a rod between the front slide flange and the outside wall, think sliding glass door with a rod in the track preventing it from being pried opening.

Thatís a great idea Iíll check that when I get off
Old 09-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #12

Power Gear Slide Outs

Power Gear Slideout Manual Retraction

Check out the National RV Forum on IRV2.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, motor, slide, slide out