Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #1

slide outs with storage

I have been looking to buy a Class A and was wondering if anyone has had problems with slide outs which have the storage attached under them.
SalAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have the Frieghtliner Evolution with chassis and storage bays are attached to the two front slides. Like everything else, it's a matter of trade offs.

We certainly have had no problems with them mechanically and it's really nice not having to crawl under the slides and bang my head to access the bays. On the other hand, I don't have pass through storage. I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me either way.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #3

Thanks Rick. I had problems with the slides on my travel trailer, and that was with no weight under them. Needless to say I'm just a little apprehensive about spending that much money and having the same problems. I really appreciate your feedback.
Sal
Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

storage

It's a trade off, we have pass thru storage. We have 3 pass thru and plenty of space even have two bikes in the storage area. And yes have hit my head a time or two but now take out what we are going to use for that stop before moving the slides out. Only take a few times of hitting head to learn.

Skip
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully someone with both TT and HM experience will chime in but the slide mechs on a MH may well be much more stout than those in a TT.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Community Administrator

My large ( 17') driver side slide has the basements attached on my Fleetwood Bounder. My Winnebago did as well. Not all mfg have figured out how to do this. I think it's great. I see others bending and twisting trying to get in their basements that are recessed under the slide. I have always tried to keep the weight down as to not put too much strain on the slide motor. However now that I've said that , I carry a lot in them. Hope this helps.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My 32 ft Bounder had a basement under the slide, If you have it to heavy it would have a hard time retracting it , the salesman told me it had a 300 pound limit. All that said I liked not having to get in under the slide. Denny
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

The Bounder is actually the RV we were looking at. Love everything else about it. The only other concern was that it didn't have a one piece fiberglass roof, but others told me the tpo is just as durable.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

I have the cargo bays attached to the left front slide out. Maybe a good idea, maybe not. If I had my choice I'd go with the pass thru compartments and the electrical BIG slide trays. Much more useable storage.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #10

Thank you for all of your opinons!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #11

I have pass through storage. That was one of the features on my DP bucket list. I can either get stuff out of the other side or before I extend the slide. Wouldn't take for the full basement. I can store a lot of stuff.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #12

I had a Monaco Knight because of its full pass-through storage bays. I hit my head several times before learning to use the bays while the slides were in! I did NOT install a sliding tray because that would cost me some storage space. That may have been a concern only because I'm full-timing whereas it would not be such a concern for someone who is using their MoHo for vacation.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had both and would call it a wash. I wanted pass through slides but now that I have them I liked our Discovery with the storage that was in the slides. We have a bigger coach but less storage, go figure!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
KIX

One of our slides has the basement compartments that slide out with it. We've not had any issues with this slide. We do keep lighter weight items in those compartments.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, storage