Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #1

Slide problem

Whenever I press the switch for the large slide up front, the bottom pushes out first about 8 inches and the top seems to be stuck in place. The top eventually pops out and the slide then pushes out to full extension. Has anyone had this problem? Is something wrong here or is this somewhat normal?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Mine does the same thing. It seems harmless, but I like to avoid it by giving a good shove on the top of the slide after the bottom has moved a few inches. This releases the rubber seals at the top, and the slide goes out straight from there. No amount of cleaning or lubricating the slide seals seems to make much of a difference.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

Ditto, mine does the same thing my wife gets scared and thinks the whole thing is going to fall over. It does this every time and no problems.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Use talcum powder around the slide. With my slide in I put a light coat on the top and sides and when the slide is out I do the bottom. You won’t see the powder because it stays on the seal. We have used it in aviation forever. From installing fuel tanks to door seals.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Use talcum powder around the slide. With my slide in I put a light coat on the top and sides and when the slide is out I do the bottom. You won’t see the powder because it stays on the seal. We have used it in aviation forever. From installing fuel tanks to door seals.
Yeah... I thought about doing just that. But, wouldn't the powder cake-up and cause more sticking or leaking problems after rain/dry cycles?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
No it won’t.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
I understand that Talc is an ingredient used in a variety of products like baby and body powder. So... would using a spray body powder suffice for use on slide seals? Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #8

Twice a year, put a sock over your hand, pour some baby powder onto sock, reach up and run your hand over the seals BEFORE you deploy the slides.

Done!
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but...
Forget the baby/talcum powder. It may make it "non-stick", but does nothing to preserve or treat the rubber seals. Just keeps the seals covered in powder.
Use 303 Aerospace Protectant. In addition to keeping the seals from sticking, it also treats and preserves the rubber. Contains no petro. products.
Check the search link...lots of info on 303.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Beaver Owners Information.
Use 303 on seal also if not talc.
Look under slide when closed make sure rollers are OK and awning spring not to tight.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but...

Forget the baby/talcum powder. It may make it "non-stick", but does nothing to preserve or treat the rubber seals. Just keeps the seals covered in powder.

Use 303 Aerospace Protectant. In addition to keeping the seals from sticking, it also treats and preserves the rubber. Contains no petro. products.

Check the search link...lots of info on 303.

Grumpy

Not an issue Grumpy
But talcum does protect the seals that’s why they cost rubber with talcum. But 303 works too so no problem.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Whenever I press the switch for the large slide up front, the bottom pushes out first about 8 inches and the top seems to be stuck in place. The top eventually pops out and the slide then pushes out to full extension. Has anyone had this problem? Is something wrong here or is this somewhat normal?
Most of that is normal like others said since most are pushed/pulled from the bottom only. I would still double check your clearances all the way around the slide inside and outside. I found on one of my slides that was kind of doing that more than the others, that it was out of alignment. The top left side that is toward the rear of the rig was rubbing the wall seal too tight to the point it was damaging it. Once I adjusted the slide a bit it stopped some of that.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Had same issue on my full wall slide. I have another trip to factory service in April to redo the work done last Sept.

My issue was etherbond tape coming up and sticking the slide on top as seals was riding over it and sealing on it. The fix didn't work. I think my issue is still the etherbond tape.

The sticking and angle generated actually caused the trim piece to hit the ceiling and rip it. It was replaced.

To get the slide in I have to jog it so it doesn't rock too far.

In my opinion the etherbond tape (2layers) has to be totally removed and the slide face cleaned and 1 piece of etherbond tape carefully replaced so that the seal contacts the aluminum only.
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #14

Look at the rollers with the slide closed and see if they are rolling off of the edge of the support plate. If they are, then it pushes out at the top until it overcomes the resistance and then the bottom catches up and it does as it is supposed to.
If this is the problem then your three options are to jack the slide up and move the plates in a bit, add extensions to the plate (same thickness), or live with it.

Tags
slide