Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Slide problem & where are the fuses?

Hi RVers! We just bought a 2006 39 ft diesel Fleetwood Excursion 2 weeks ago and are having a few problems. The main one now is that the full-side slide won't come out, doesn't make any noise. We have the slide instruction booklet and put it out correctly at an RV park on the way home, a 600 mile journey and there were some really bad holes/bumps on I-40 in AR! The last time I put it in I'm not sure if I held in the button until the 2 lock lights came on. I hope that didn't create a problem. I tried the retract button also and it made no noise either.

We don't know where the fuse for the slide is. The "house" fuses are supposed to be under the bed but haven't looked there. Also a fuse box is supposed to be under the hood but we didn't see what we thought looked like one. Does anyone know the exact location of those fuses? We found the ones in the center console but they are mostly for stuff on the dash area.
MssippiBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.
Sorry your here with problems.
If under the bed is listed for the Fleetwood fuse panel that would be the first place to check.
Note; that may not be the only fuse location , my older coach I've found fuses in 10 locations.
I haven't had experience with Fleetwood products, so I'll say review all the pre extension of the slide rules set out in your manual.
Some RV's require , park brake set, ignition off and other steps be completed before the slide will operate.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Thanks Skip. I'm not sure if I can lift the bed and my husband is in a wheelchair and can't get back there with the slide in, but I can probably get a friend to help lift it if it's not easy to do.

We followed the correct procedure to get it to work. It wasn't plugged in as we haven't gotten the 50 amp service put in but we ran the generator and the engine was running with parking brake on.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #4

Most RV beds that raise up for storage or other access have gas struts for assist , if only the mattress and sheets are on the bed it shouldn't be too heavy to move; BUT; be aware that as the struts age they can loose power and loose the assist and holding power , so if the bed is up use a prop rod before digging around underneath.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MssippiBelle View Post
Thanks Skip. I'm not sure if I can lift the bed and my husband is in a wheelchair and can't get back there with the slide in, but I can probably get a friend to help lift it if it's not easy to do.

We followed the correct procedure to get it to work. It wasn't plugged in as we haven't gotten the 50 amp service put in but we ran the generator and the engine was running with parking brake on.
That may be your problem. On mine, if the engine is running, the slide won't work. Safety feature. Could be all it is.

good luck
rdm1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:44 PM   #6

Ours must be running to operate the slide. 1. Start the engine 2. Set parking brake 3. Level it 4. Turn lock using the key to on position in the slide control 5. press extend or retract button. We followed that procedure the 2 nights we spent on the road and had no problem then.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

If you have the TV in the bedroom that gets covered by the slide when the slide is in check that it is closed and locked on our 07 there is a interlock on the TV door that must be made for the slide to work. That was an expensive lesson for us with a mobile tech. Also make sure that the batteries have over 12 volts low voltage really messes with the slide controller which is located under the bed in our Fleetwood.
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #8

Thanks Rocky. Yes we know about that as it cost the previous owner $500 to find that out so he told us. It seems to be in and locked as far as I can tell with the slide in. We never used the TV when driving it home so I doubt it came unlocked. Will check on battery voltage. I assume that is the "house" batteries that it works off of.

Do you know how the running lights are turned on and off? Ours got turned on the first day we we were driving it home and stayed on when the lights were turned off and we never could get them off. Fleetwood "help" said they were connected to the headlight switch and supposed to go off when they were off so if not there was a "problem in the system". They finally went off when the batteries ran down after we got home and had no 50 or 30 amp service set up yet. We haven't driven it since with the lights turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky34 View Post
If you have the TV in the bedroom that gets covered by the slide when the slide is in check that it is closed and locked on our 07 there is a interlock on the TV door that must be made for the slide to work. That was an expensive lesson for us with a mobile tech. Also make sure that the batteries have over 12 volts low voltage really messes with the slide controller which is located under the bed in our Fleetwood.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #9

Have you look under the clothes closet for breakers? On our Bounder under the closet there are some breakers, actually may have to pull drawers out to see them, since Fleetwood puts them in a real convient location.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Typically the slide motor(s) have their own breaker or fuse. Often mounted as part of the Battery Control Center rather than with other fuses. Battery control center is usually labeled and quite near the batteries. A call to Fleetwood Customer Service should get an answer.

Contact Us
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

Thanks Gary, I called Fleetwood and he said to check the 2 inline fuses accessible from the control center first but we haven't done it yet as we were busy with another project but will try to do it this afternoon and see if that resolves it. If not he said to call back and explore other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Typically the slide motor(s) have their own breaker or fuse. Often mounted as part of the Battery Control Center rather than with other fuses. Battery control center is usually labeled and quite near the batteries. A call to Fleetwood Customer Service should get an answer.

Contact Us

Tags
fuse, slide