Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Slide seals keep tearing

I have had my seals replaced every year on my 2018 Georgetown 369 DS. Blue Dog RV has done the replacement each time. The rear slide seal has never been replaced. The seals are always conditioned as required. Why does this keep happening? Any suggestions appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2022, 05:47 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

If you are maintaining them and they tear or rip --or have to be replaced every year-- then I'm suspecting that the slide is slightly misaligned.

What kind of damage is being done to them that requires them to be replaced so often?

Are you experiencing any abnormal sounds as the slides are being extended or retracted? Can you visually see any abnormalities that are happening when being extended or retracted? Is the room level when extended, etc.?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
If you are maintaining them and they tear or rip --or have to be replaced every year-- then I'm suspecting that the slide is slightly misaligned.

What kind of damage is being done to them that requires them to be replaced so often?

Are you experiencing any abnormal sounds as the slides are being extended or retracted? Can you visually see any abnormalities that are happening when being extended or retracted? Is the room level when extended, etc.?

The rubber is tearing at the attachment points. We have had the slide mechanism for moving including cables and motors replaced. They supposedly aligned everything however we continue to have these problems. No abnormal noises when extended or retracted the slide. Can the seals be replaced by myself or does it take special equipment. I am not impressed with my service provider.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:45 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I've done it once many years ago so I'm not an expert by any means at replacing slide seals. What i remember is at the time, there was a bulb seal and a wipe seal and they were separate. From what i understand, some are combined in one piece, however.

I'm sure others will chime in who are more knowledgeable but I remember it being a chore but telling myself it would be much easier the next time I do it. I never did it again, however.

I can't be sure what configuration your seals might be but I've attached some videos to get you started on familiarizing yourself with the process.

But no, no special equipment is needed. Here are the tools what one of the videos I attached says to have on hand:

* an assortment of plastic scrapers

* a "good cleaner" (liquid)

* adhesive remover (liquid)

* scissors

* adhesive

* gloves

* you'd also want your tool box on hand for things like screwdrivers, knives, tape measure, etc. etc. etc.

So again, I'll give you a few resources to get started but I'm sure those who have more expertise than I have will chime in and give you better advice if they have the same or similar slide outs as yours.

How to Replace the Seal on RV Slide Out

Attached are two generic videos but GO HERE for a list of youtube videos on the topic you can look through to see if you can find one similar to yours if the two attached are not close to what you have.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:03 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also check to ensure you have no objects (screws, sticks etc.) stuck in between the slide and wall. I've ripped one of mine from a screw protruding from inside the wall side of slide.

Tags
seal, seals, slide