Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Slide topper fabric replacement

Hi,

I know there are several threads on slide topper fabric replacement, but I thought I would provide a current post on the topic.

I just finished replacing the fabric on my full wall slide topper, its 24' long. I bought the 15 oz. fabric (288" x 36") from Tough Top Awnings for $255 with free shipping. My slide toppers are the CareFree SOK III toppers with covers. There are couple videos on the Tough Tops web site that detail the process. This is not a difficult task. I prepared the roller tube, removed the old fabric, restored roller spring tension, me and the wife installed the new fabric. It did take us over an hour to slide the new fabric in. It's a slow process in order to make sure the new fabric doesn't snag and get ripped. I'm very pleased with the result, plus my MH didn't need to sit at the shop for a few weeks waiting for fabric and techs to install it.

While I had the fabric off I cleaned the top of the slide and waxed all of the surfaces I'll hopefully never see again. I was able to observe how the slide locks work and took a couple pics to share. The locks appear to be a good idea, they hold the top of the slide in while the motor brakes hold the bottom in. In theory when the locks are "locked" the slide should not be able to move out. Yes, I do use the locks :-)

I'm attaching a couple pics of the slide locks and a shot of the finished project,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide locks extended-locked 01.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	222166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide lock retracted - unlocked 01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	222167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New fabric installed 01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	222168   Click image for larger version

Name:	New slide topper fabric with label - coach side 01.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	222169  

NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 04:07 AM   #2

Nice job, good material. It's always a nice accomplishment doing stuff like this yourself.

We're having ALL our fabrics replaced - 2 toppers, patio awning and 3 window awnings installed next week here in Central Florida. I usually do all coach work myself, but this job is just to much for me. We chose Migliore Vinyl for our topper material which is a 19oz. material.
Fabric Choices
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:40 AM   #3

Nice job. This is something I have planned for this winter. Do you have any information or Youtubes you could point me to on retensioning the spring. I have one that is weak and I would like to try and adjust the tension. Thanks.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, slide