Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #15

Window awnings for RV's are expensive. That's because they have to be able to withstand over 100 mph wind gusts on a regular basis.

Our '89 Rexhall Airex had awnings on every window. Our new-to-us 1999 34' Bounder has a single long awning over the door and kitchen window, but none on the slide windows or the bedroom windows, and we miss them.

Buying and installing four new RV awnings was going to be well over $1,000.

So.... I remember as a child going camping in our families old camping trailer (Or 'caravan' as we call them in England)

Part of the setup process was my Dad putting up the window awnings. Unlike the roll-out units in a modern rig, these lived in a long thin bag and travelled inside the trailer. They were hung from hooks above each window, unrolled, and the support arms went into a fitting on the side of the trailer. Took a little more time than just pulling out a modern one, but only a minute or two.

A few minutes with a CAD program has made me some measurements, and I'm going to give it a shot. Stick-on/Peel-off Command hooks mean that if I get the first one up and it looks tacky, I take them down and I'm out about $25.

I'll post pics when I get it done.
Rickinnocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The full wall slide on the road side had Carefree window awnings front and back. In order to maintain the look, I contacted Carefree and, with the serial number for one existing awning, and the measurements for the LR window on the curb side ... purchased matching awning and cover. Makes it look factory. Cost just under $500 for kit and shipping. Very happy with the result
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
X2 on the window awnings. We ordered our coach without them .... then learned we really did need them. If raining, they allow you to open the window. As others have noted, they reduce the sun load. They also give a little more privacy in terms of reducing the ability of people outside to look into the interior of the coach
X3 on everything above.

We bought our coach used in 2016 then had window awnings, new slide toppers and main patio awning installed 2 years later. They were Carefree awnings thru Stone Vos in Florida.
http://stonevoss.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-awnings-1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	267327   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-awnings-2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	267328  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote