Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 03:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
slideouts and weather

I searched the archives but cannot locate any information on using the slideouts during nasty weather..........specifically when it is windy..........wife and I are taking a short trip and the weather is supposed to include some rain and windy conditions.......the owners manual only uses the term "high winds", but it is not specific.........question: when is it safe to use the slideouts during windy weather, specificially wind speed and other weather conditions?................thank you in advance
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 05:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will not have problems with your slides in normal windy weather. A tornado yes, but in average daily winds no problem. I have had slides out in heavy wind, snow and rain without any issues. Hope this helps.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:26 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't worry about high winds, unless they're strong enough to tip your motorhome over, then you have even bigger concerns. We were parked one time in very high winds and the only thing I did was to lower our TV antennae back down because the wind was blowing so hard it was rocking and making a lot of noise. You will also notice in cold high winds it is much harder to keep your RV warm. The furnace will run much more often.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #4

Strong winds will only be a worry if you have slide toppers. I've witnessed one being torn off when the owners were gone.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have slide toppers installed, they could get damaged in high winds. I would not have the slides deployed when it was snowing or freezing rain. The toppers could get damaged when you retract the slides.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
yes, I have an 07 Monaco knight with the slide toppers........don't want to damage those, so if it gets really bad, we will just stay in the bus with the slides in.........wind gusts forecasted to be around 50 mph.............thanks for the information
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Use common sense, slide toppers can tear in high winds and the slideouts can be wind catchers. If you can feel the wind shaking the rv pull them in for a while if you feel uncomfortable, if you don"t mind shaking around leave them out.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on which direction the wind is coming from, you might only have to put one sides slide outs in. We've done that as well. Gives you a little more room that way.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Just spent several days in high wind conditions in southern Utah (50-60mph with gusts) Slides were deployed (livibility of the coach is severely limited with the slides in). We have toppers. We had no issues.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #10

Spent two day in Southern New Mexico with 50-60 mph winds last year. Finally pulled in the upwind slides to save the toppers.

When I got home found that the stitching on all 4 toppers were unraveled. Had to remove the toppers and have the re-sewn. Guess I didn't pull the slides in quick enough.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll pull my slides in when the temps start to drop and the wind picks up. The extended slides seals are not 100% draft proof plus the overall small air space is a bit easier to heat. Haven't had a problem with summer winds, topper damage or rain water getting inside but anything is possible.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do more cold weather than warm weather, when I hear my toppers flapping that they annoy me I pull the slides. I also monitor snow accumulation as I don't want the bottom layer icing on my slide toppers, freezing rain I would definitely bring them in. Dry snow I leave them out.

I saw a posts some time ago and don't recall, but someone had a great idea to put something (I think foam block) under each end of the slide topper to keep the wind from going through the slide topper and making so much noise. I would highly recommend trying it as I haven't yet and report back. LOL all kidding aside, 50-60 mph winds I would definitely bring slides in to protect the toppers.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout