Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The important thing, is that you want as much voltage/current possible for the electric motors. Worst case at a minimum, you have the batteries.

The engine alternator can put out in the range of 150+ amps, if your engine is running. Your converter/inverter attached to your house batteries, can put out in the range of 100 amp, if you are connected to shorepower.

So if you can have the engine running and/or the shorepower connected while you are putting slides out/in....they will supplement your batteries and keep the voltage up. It's easiest for your electric motors.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My HWH system, jacks and slides; runs off the chassis battery.

I can only run the jacks with the parking brake on, and with the key on (acc, on, or engine running). I typically leave the engine running to insure the best and most stable voltage to the pump.

As for the slides, I can operate them key on or off, as long as the parking brake is on. However, I usually try to keep the engine running for them as well, and for the same reason.

My chassis battery is not charged by shore/gen power (unless my key is on), so shore/gen power do nothing for my slides.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Part of the difference may be the type of slide mechanism you have. Mine are hydraulic and the engine has to be turned off to operate. The batteries only have to operate the pump. The others may be electrically operated. I imagine it would take a lot more current to operate a motor strong enough to push the slides in and out as apposed to just turning a pump. Maybe!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine are hydraulic; key needs to be on.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As stated by one poster, electric motors shouldn't be subjected to low voltage. If yours says to open with engine running, you should. Some coaches like mine won't work with the engine running.

Since mine won't work with the engine running, I always plug in the shore cord before extending. If I'm boon docking, I start my generator for the slides and to power my satellite during setup.

An important point.....if you're boon docking, running your slides out on 12 volt power, can really zap your batteries at the beginning of dry camping.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Reading your manual will give you your best answer.

For me, I must have the key in the on position. They will operate on batteries, however, I make sure that either the engine is running or supplemental power (shore or generator) provide the necessary power to operate my slides at full power.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Mine have all said to have the engine running or on shore power.
On My 03 DSDP the slides Will Not Close with the engine running. I know this because after buying my coach, I stopped for the night on my way home. I put the passenger front slide out at night. In the AM, I started the engine, had my coffee and went to retract the slide. No dice. Finally after putting a little thought into my dilemma, I shut the engine off and tried again. Bingo!

I'm not sure about putting them out. But I typically connect to shore power first to deploy the slides. When leaving, the Last thing I do is pull the shore power plug before we leave.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again, the take away from all this is to read your manual, and do what it says. Different coaches, different systems, different procedures.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #23

Per our manual, engine running for us. Jacks down and slides in and out. Our slides are electric motors, big current draw.

Our jacks are electric pumps, jacks down equals large current draw.

Jacks up has no big current draw for our HWH. It just opens the valve and the springs pull in the hydraulics.

That said, they work just fine off of our batteries.

If you do use your engine, then I suggest setting it to high idle to make sure you are getting good voltage.

And have a window or door open when moving slides in or out! No need to add extra stress to the process.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
On our coach, the jacks and slides will not operate without the engine running. We have a full wall slide with three motors that need to be kept in sync. I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

At least it makes it tough to screw it up!
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #25

Depends upon what coach you have. Our slideouts wont move unless the engine is running. Other coaches are the opposite.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #26

Thanks to everyone with the great responses. The reason I don't start the engine to move the slides is because I'm often on shore power at that time and not sure it's a good idea to start the engine while on shore power.
Is there a problem starting the engine when you are on the shore power? I am on a ford V 10 chassis.
Thanks, Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:57 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shouldn't be, it isn't with mine, just like it isn't a issue with the genset running either. ...and I have to have the engine off to operate the slideouts, and on to operate my jacks.
Still, doesn't hurt to check your manual for any question you might have.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:11 PM   #28

Interesting question. I thought all were like mine, that being, the engine OFF and the key in the "off" position or the slides will NOT deploy or retract. Obviously, based on several comments, my system seems to be in the minority.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, slide, slideout