Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Slides in or out

We live in Fairfield, CA. In July we brought our new RV home. We have it parked in our driveway and are planning on putting up a metal carport for it this year. Currently it is parked in the driveway. We don't get snow and so far have had little precipitation. My question is should I keep the Slides in when not in use ? Is it ok to keep them out? Please give me your thoughts and tell me why.
Thank you,
Leanne
hitlinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I'm too new to RVing to know the difference, but I did a quick search and turned up this;

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how...ut-406897.html
Old 12-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #3

Leave the slides in:
1. Tighter seal for protection from weather and critters.
2. Less wear and tear on slide topper.
3. Why leave it open? If you're doing some work over a period of several days, leave it open. But when just stored, seems more logical to close it.

However, it's easy to argue that folks that are full timers or use their rigs most of the year have their slides out most of the time. But, I would think those types of users do have to monitor the slide out seals and experience slide toppers that weather more quickly.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #4

I would keep the slides in, there is no real "rule" as to what is best. I keep mine in because there is no reason to have it out. I know that sounds kind of dumb but it is what it is. Another point however is that I feel with the slides out one might want the jacks down to stabilize the rig.

On the side note when you get your metal car port make sure you have room to put the slides out.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure that you check city and county ordinances, and deed restrictions if applicable. I can have our RV in our driveway for 72 hours within a 7 day period by county ordinance. I have a very long driveway with plenty of room, not obstructing sidewalks or views. Other than that I park it in our side yard, which is allowed as long as no part of the RV extends past the line of the front edge of the house. I've had someone call the county on me on the first day beyond the 72 hour limit.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #6

The return springs on jacks can weaken over time
I theorize that if you keep the jacks down/extended predominately, then the springs are stretched and they will weaken faster
you would think if the springs are kept not-stretched they would retain their elasticity longer
to assist with this I try to block my jacks before deploying to minimize the jack deployment

Thus in this case, theoretically, the less time the jacks sit deployed the stronger the springs will remain

This isn't a big deal as replacing the springs won't break the bank ... it just a PITA to replace them
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlinks View Post
We live in Fairfield, CA. ...We don't get snow and so far have had little precipitation.

Those high windy days Fairfield/Vacaville gets will raise havoc with the slide out. As recommended above, slide in.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #8

It's simple, "in". If something goes wrong, it's better for them to be stuck "in" than stuck "out".
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:14 AM   #9

Also before building your RV cover be sure the dimensions allow space to open your slides... 14' wide should do it.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would leave the slides in. That hot sun can't be good for the awnings! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jacks down while parked. This takes weight off the tires and suspension which are much more costly than the return springs on the Jack's. Also it is more stable in winds/weather.
Coat chrome part of Jack's with light oil, grease or silicone to prevent pitting/rust.
Good time to grease any zerk(s).
Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It's not a critical decision. If you have any reason, including just personal convenience, you can leave one or all slides out. If having them out serves no purpose, bring in for the reasons others have already stated.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlinks View Post
We live in Fairfield, CA. In July we brought our new RV home. We have it parked in our driveway and are planning on putting up a metal carport for it this year. Currently it is parked in the driveway. We don't get snow and so far have had little precipitation. My question is should I keep the Slides in when not in use ? Is it ok to keep them out? Please give me your thoughts and tell me why.
Thank you,
Leanne
Think about it - IMHO - No wrong answer - in or out - If you were to full time they'd be out - some part timers will only use them once a year.

I've done both - sooo.......... - best things I can tell you is what ever you do - in or out - you mix it up and not only move them in and out periodically but that you also use all the systems monthly - generator - heater - Air Conditioner - engine - HH - water pump - toilet .........

IMHO - lack of use is the biggest enemy of all the RV systems.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
best things I can tell you is what ever you do - in or out - you mix it up and not only move them in and out periodically but that you also use all the systems monthly - generator - heater - Air Conditioner - engine - HH - water pump - toilet .........

IMHO - lack of use is the biggest enemy of all the RV systems.
Agreed. Exercising all systems monthly will keep your coach healthy. And for me, that includes starting it up and running it down the frwy for about 40 miles. This kind of exercise keeps all your fluids flowing, pumps, belts, and your tires healthy. Exercising everything monthly is a good thing.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide