Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #15

Pretty surprised that the RV is so air tight that the relatively slow movement of a slide compresses the interior air. Haven't noticed any issue with mine. But I see lots of air gap when the slide is in an intermediate position.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 01:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
If you've got a Thor, it won't matter. Ours has very, very, very poor insulation and seals.
Q: "How do you get 24 clowns into a Ford?"

A: "Through the gaps in the weatherproofing."
Rickinnocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:38 AM   #17

This makes a lot of sense especially if a FWS. Just think about the volume of air that needs to fill the area where the slide was. Same issue on retract. The air needs to go somewhere and in a hurry.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Pretty surprised that the RV is so air tight that the relatively slow movement of a slide compresses the interior air. Haven't noticed any issue with mine. But I see lots of air gap when the slide is in an intermediate position.
Like breathing through a straw. Breath slow of fast the air transfer is not enough to keep you from suffocation.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I could tell the difference on our American Tradition if a door or window wasn't open. Air still squeezed in around the slide seals as it moved, but the sound was different. If I stopped and opened a window or the entry door, it sounded as though it was running easier. Still moved, regardless.

I think this is one of those "best practices" that is of little or no practical effect. Manufacturers throw a lot of that sort of thing in their owner manuals, mostly as a measure that can't hurt and just maybe covers their butt if some weird things goes wrong.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
My manual says to:

To Extend or Retract Slide Rooms:
z Clean the floor of dirt or grit that could result in damage during operation.
z Confirm there is enough clearance inside/outside the motorhome for the room to extend/retract.
z Allow at least five feet of clearance to extend the slideout.
z Move the driver and passenger seat forward to clear slideout room fascia.
z Apply the park brake.
z Start the engine.
z Level the motorhome using the hydraulic
leveling jack system.
z Turn off the engine.
z Confirm the house batteries are fully charged and
interior house power is on.
z Open a window or vent to equalize pressure
during slideout operation
That is great for a Fleetwood.

Goes to say that 'most' of my posts say to check the owners manual. In my Winnebago manual it does not say anything about opening a window. I'm sure it is a good practice though, and if someone has experimented with their systems and it works then it is most likely the proper thing to do.

Although we have many similarities in or motorhomes, not all manufacturer's are the same. I suggest everyone read their owner's manual.

If opening a window is your manufacturer's recommendation, or if it is not but you have tried it and it works, it sure is not going to be troublesome to open a window.

Sorry for the rant!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #21

I do not know what CFM the slide would produce when it is moving but, the average 12 ft slide 5.5 ft high, is 9504 sq inches.

At 1/8 of pound of PSI that would be 1188 lbs of force on the slide wall
At 1/16 PSI that would be 594 lbs of force.

With the air leakage i could see at least half to 1/4 of these forces.

I have not tried but a bet if pushed from the outside I could possible apply 200 pounds of force and i think you would hear that on the slide motors load as well.

So a window or door open seems as it could really help with your slides load, and maybe make them last longer.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have noticed that our slides sometimes move fast, sometimes slow. I came to the conclusion that it had to do with being hooked up to shore power, and or having the genset running to supplement the batteries.

The door/window thing is interesting though. Maybe that's what the difference was all along? Something to test out next season for sure.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #23

Whenever I move my slides, I have as much power available as possible, the truck power hooked up and running along with the shore power hooked up.
The air pressure effect sounds interesting, I will try the door open next time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:57 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
I have noticed that our slides sometimes move fast, sometimes slow. I came to the conclusion that it had to do with being hooked up to shore power, and or having the genset running to supplement the batteries.

The door/window thing is interesting though. Maybe that's what the difference was all along? Something to test out next season for sure.

It SEEMS to me that the slides move faster when the air is allowed to move more easily. But I've never timed it so I can't say for sure, it's just a subjective "I think it is" type of thing. I KNOW the motors sound like they are under less strain, I THINK it moves faster also.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #25

It makes a big difference on our Pace Arrow, I always open the door or window when going out or in, and the book says to do it.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #26

Wow! I’ve had slides on several campers but never thought of this. I’m going to start letting them breathe!
49Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:20 PM   #27

From the text of some replies, it's a wonder someone hasn't blown/sucked out a window
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
From the text of some replies, it's a wonder someone hasn't blown/sucked out a window
They most likely have already. Its the threads that start with how do I repair this delamination from this window leak
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide