RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

slides not working as well as steps

Ok asking for a friend, we were going on a trip monday and now he has problems

2016 holiday rambler. slides and steps quit working at same time. He called tech to try checking some fuses etc. No go.

Any ideas would be appreciated. 2 weeks before anyone around here can check it. I am sure it is something simple, but he knows less than I do which is not much.

Hoping some one has exp. same and got a simple fix.

Thanks
harley4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

What do you mean no go? You couldn't get help or you couldn't find a bad fuse? You should have a fuse pael under the dash on the driver's side and another fuse panel up front in the engine compartment. Do you have paperwork that shows which fuse is for which component?
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

I have not gone to the coach yet. I assume he has. I guess once I get over there I can know more about what he has and has not done. Will report back.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #4

concering the step and maybe the slide, check all ground wires. Had the same problem with my step. found (2) ground wire conections around the step wiring. removed both, cleaned with wire brush and fine grit sand paper, reconected and step started working again. Good luck.
onawing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My slides and steps work off the Chassis battery. Do the headlights work?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

Set the e-brake?
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #7

he said it would crank. and its plugged in to AC as well
Old 02-17-2018, 05:59 AM   #8

This is another interesting one. Your post said slides? Meaning more that one slide not working? I would think each has a separate circuit. So that means at least three separate circuits not working. Definitely check the grounds. Also, since they are 12 volt units, checking the fuses is necessary. Could there be any more 12 volt items not working? The main feed into the 12 v panel especially if the slides and steps are all in that panel.

Please keep us in the loop.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #9

Yes none of the slides are working, not sure how many he got. Also the steps not working. That is what the tech told him was that he didn't know what would cover all those things. About to head over there. Will check battery connections and grounds as well as all fuses. I hope to download an electrical schematic before heading over. Thanks and I will let you know what we find out. I got confidence it is something minor.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe the “salesman switch” is still off, a.k.a. a solenoid switch that kills all coach power but the chassis is on leaving the impression part of the circuits work and part do not. Or maybe visa versa. Maybe the slides and steps are on the chassis circuit and the house circuit is powered.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #11

Well the coach has a panel next to door with 2 switches. The Aux bat. has a light on it the main does not. The slides do not work, nor the step, nor the panel that shows the monitor for the battery power etc. up over the dash. when we work the switch to the main off and on, you can hear something click in the back left compartment where there are fuses and etc. Can not seem to find the reason there is no power though. All the connections check out and we just can't figure it out. prob. someone who knows what they doing could find it in a jiffy. We don't live close to any shop for Rv's but maybe he can find someone to work on it.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:05 AM   #12

The way to trouble shoot is to look for the most obvious and easiest to check possibility and work towards the least obvious and hardest to find. Somewhere in between will be the solution.

By now you guys should have checked every auto style fuse by removing it and visually checking for an element that is melted away. Dont trust a fuse tester or meter as they can be deceived. If you know where the circuit panel is that feeds those items that are not working see if there are any other things on that same buss or panel that do work. Since there are three slides and a step You might, for now, consider the step to have been wired to one of the slides and concentrate on why the three slides are not working. Based on what I see so far that "might" be possible.

Good luck keep us posted please
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
harley4life-

For a coach this new, a call to HR tech support would probably help. Ask for diagrams while talking with them about the problem.

800-435-7345
Mon-Fri from 8am – 5pm, ET

What model of 2016 HR does your friend own?

As far as troubleshooting goes, I'd first make sure that the chassis and house battery disconnect switches (if the coach has them, they are large switches with large cables, near the batteries) are both in the "on" position, and that both battery banks are fully charged.

I'd then make sure the house 12V systems are working completely as expected. This mean power to the controls and monitoring panel(s).

The owner's manual will tell you the requirements to operate the slides. Interestingly, for the 2016 HR Vacationer (gas), the manual says that among other steps the engine must be running. On my 2008 HR, if the engine is running the slides are prevented from opening.

As "Quincy" said, you have to start with the obvious things, and the above is how I'd start.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, steps