Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #15

Well since its already been decided I'll just add a "me too". In the last 7 years we have had three motorhomes, first one w/o slides and then a Dutch Star with slides and now an Expedition with slides. We have had no problems with them and consider them as necessary as the furnace or AC. I'd have slides if I had to crank them in and out by hand.

albuquerque, nm
eghershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok. I almost started not to reply to this one. But I felt like I had to. This is a long post.
On our maiden voyage with our "new to us" Journey, the seal on the living room slide began to come off as we were retracting it. Luckily, it had a happy ending with our salesman coming to our rescue.
Then, on the first weekend in May, we were overnighting in an Eckerd parking lot in Asheboro, when on Sunday morning as we were beginning to retract the same slide, one end started to move and the other stood still. (As did my heart!)!!!!
It was a very frustrating day with our salesman once again coming to our rescue and managed to get it back in far enough that he was able to slowly make his way back to the lot. We had blew a hydraulic hose.
Thank goodness for extended warranty coverage! We have camped several times in it since and now all we have to do is hold the seal on the main slide as we are retracting to keep it in place. Is this normal? I don't know. All I know is it works!
Do what you feel is best. I would still buy our same unit.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #17

We are going through the same quandry now as we seek out a replacement for our burnt out Vectra. A slide can be nice and then again it may not be. It depends on how many people you travel with and the layout of the coach. Some are not accomodating if you have more than the driver and co-pilot while others will let the whole family ride comfortably. Some make it a tight squeeze to get through to the bath and rear when closed. I have noted a real hit in performance on gas coaches over 34 feet long with slides also.

Quality in a used slide coach seems to depend a lot on the previous owner. I have seen a great deal where the drivers seat is destroyed by the owner retracting the slide before getting the seat out of the way. I have seen about 1/3 of the used slides distorted and not able to close properly because the previous owner forgot to remove one or both of the lock bars/straps when deploying the slide. The attachements and trim at the bottom would be ripped away from the inside of the slide and the slide would be so crooked that it would only be sealed at the top back with the bottom kicked in about 2 inches front and back and the front about 3 inches further away from the seal top to bottom than the back on the worse case with a variety of others in less severe condition.

Eyes opened to how the slide you are looking at is opened and closed for both you and any passengers. Also if the previous owner negleted other areas of the coach then the slide was probably negeleted also.

Check out the hit in the bathroom. We had a 33 foot Vectra with a private bath and see that the toilet is about 8 to 12 inches closer to the shower in the version with a slide, leaving very little standing room in fron of the sink. To get a bath useful for my 6 foot 260 lb self I need to go to a 34 foot coach when considering a slide coach with the same basic floorplan as the 33 footer with no slide.

I will most likely end up with one slide but will not dismiss a deal on a nicely laid out non-slide coach without looking at it first. There may be another gem out there similar to the one we had.

Regards,

Formerly....
Old 06-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #18

In 1994 we purchased a new 27' 5th with 1 slide. It was problematic because it had a cable system with a electric that moved it in/out. Cables were always needing adjusting.

In 1997 we traded for a new 36' 5th wheel with three slideouts which were rack/pinion electric motor driven. No problems at all.

In August 2002 we traded for a 2003 36' Gulf Stream Yellowstone Diesel Pusher with two slides, L/R was hydraulic and bedroom slide was electric. No problems at all with operation or leaks.

In Sept. 2004 we purchased our 40' Gulf Stream
with four slides. Two of them are hydraulic (Power Gear) and two of them are electric. We haven't had any problems with any of them.

The early slide outs in some manufactures did have problems, but I believe most of them have been eliminated. At least the ones we have owned since 1997 have been.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #19

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Slides are a pain in the neck and you never need them. Unless you stop your coach for the night. As long as you are on the road, slides are in anyway.

Seriously, we would never have a coach without slides. I researched a bit and found that the way Winnebago does slides on a sliding beam that takes all the weight off the side wall is a good idea. I can open them when not level and the jacks are up. This is not true of all coaches. I saw a demo of the slide in action with no coach walls in place and the demonstrator could stand on the extended slide floor.

Walt