Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Slides out no jacks down

I have a question for the Class A's with slides. I always felt squeamish putting out my slides when the HWH jacks are NOT down. I have 4 slides.

If you do pull out your slides can you leave them out for days and not worry that your jacks are down?

My coach is in my driveway parking area. It is blacktop not concrete. If I leave my jacks down to long it sinks the black top a little bit.

Looking for a train of thought on this.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I have 2 slides and the only thing I require is that the motorhome is level. If I am working on something I just send the slide out.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #3

make some jack pads to spread the weight of the individual jacks. make with at least 3 2x6x16 boards sandwiched between 2 1x16x16 pieces of plywood.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There seems to be two different directions from the motorhome manufacturers. 1) level first, 2) slid out first. You need to use the method that your manufacturer recommends.

I would make some large blocks for home use. May 20"x 20" 3/4" plywood and set some 2x10 or 12 on top of that. I know we put down the jacks if we are working on it or have guest. it takes the bounce out of it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #5

Our Accolade has a sticker inside that says coach should be leveled before and after extending slides…huh?

On the RV sales lots they have the sldes out and the jacks are hardly ever down. But, I doubt they care about the consequences to the coach. It’ll be the buyer’s problem.

I built some blocks/pads about 16” square, with several layers of alternating 2x4’s, similar to what you see in boatyards. Never used them in 7 years, got tired of hauling them around, and they took up a lot of space. Now they sit in the garage and I just carry some 12x12 squares of 3/4” plywood. Haven’t needed to use those yet either, except to put under the bottle jack when I jacked up a wheel at home. I’ll keep carrying them in case of a flat or something.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I keep my coach in a garage with a level concrete floor and often run the slides out without extending the levelers and often for extended times weeks or even months with no ill effects. Been doing this for the past 10 years, with 4 different brands of class A's and haven't had any problems yet.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #7

Please use search. This topic is explored every month for years.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

I never put my slide out without leveling. I just makes me feel better that my F550 coach is not twisted.
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
I have a question for the Class A's with slides. I always felt squeamish putting out my slides when the HWH jacks are NOT down. I have 4 slides.

If you do pull out your slides can you leave them out for days and not worry that your jacks are down?

My coach is in my driveway parking area. It is blacktop not concrete. If I leave my jacks down to long it sinks the black top a little bit.

Looking for a train of thought on this.

Jim P.
Jim,
If your only reason for not deploying your jacks is because you have a "Paved" drive way, well, as has been stated/suggested, build or buy some jack pads of some sort. Something to spread the load out so no damage to your driveway will be encountered. It's not a hard job. There's about a zillion ways to make them. Do yourself a favor and build or buy them, use your jacks and level your coach, prior do deploying the slides. Your coach will love you for it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There's no issue with putting the slides out, especially on level ground. Many will park at Walmart overnight and just put their slides out without putting down the jacks. Occasionally, I'll move my coach several feet for better satellite reception with all three slides out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:44 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Jacks will have the ability to twist the frame, so almost always put out slides with no jacks down. The only time jacks go down first is if there seems to be interference between the slides and coach walls….ie. the “gap”. The “gap is only seen obviously if you have a “flush type” slide….
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin does not put the jacks down while building your coach when the slides are out. There is no need. The only downside is you are going to feel movement in the coach everytime someone walks around.

As to regular jacks down situations Tiffin's procedure has always been: Engine running, neutral; jacks down and level the coach; extend slides; turn off engine.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There's no issue with putting the slides out, especially on level ground. Many will park at Walmart overnight and just put their slides out without putting down the jacks. Occasionally, I'll move my coach several feet for better satellite reception with all three slides out.
I would not say "especially on level ground". Imo, it's important to have the rig parked on level ground if using the slide(s) without jacks. I have extended my single slide many times with jacks retracted. No problem except this one time when I was parked on a slight incline. Something in the slide made a nice loud pop when pulling it in. Was lucky no damaged occurred but that loud pop made it evident something was out of kilter. Certainly won't do that again!

I have moved the rig a couple of times with the slide out but that's not something I really like doing either.

One thing this thread got me to thinking was that some twisting of the motorhome's frame might occur on certain rigs, even if they were parked on level ground. Say a large driver's side slide up front, and a passenger side bedroom slide at the rear. Would imagine having both extended at the same time could cause a slight twist.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #14

2021 RED..........Owners Manual Pg 68

Surely you have read it?

CAUTION
The motorhome must be parked and the leveling jacks must be used to level the motor home PRIOR to activating the slide-out features and the ignition switch must be in the “on” position.
The emergency foot brake and parking brake must be engaged.
Be sure the front driver’s seat is moved forward before opening slide out.

Blocks/Pads for under the jacks.......time for a little project
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide