Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #1

Slidout Cabinets sagging from ceiling

Hi folks! Over time, my drivers side slideout cabinets have pulled away from the ceiling of the slide. Currently, there is about 1 1/2" gap. I've tried adding more screws, but there seems to be nothing substantial to get a bite on.

I've requested help and/or diagrams twice from the REV technical support site with no response and have since left a voicemail for them. I've used a studfinder to see if there are any supports, and it seems only where the original screws were. I can't get the back panel off to see if the top of the back frame screws into the wall.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Taarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #2

I know its not the best option or back to orgional as we all would like but could you install some time of post and beam set up under the cabinet to brace them up to stop them from sagging further ? much like a you would in a home if you had a sagging floor .

It might not be the best plan but doing something out of 1/4" steel and adding a wood finish face plate to it could help .

Ive unfortunetly never dealt with such an issue in an rv and am a contractor by trade.

Best of luck for a hopeful easier fix.
Aliaka1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same issue. There was too much weight in the cabinets, as my wife used it for canned goods. Every bump was like a hammer hitting inside of the cabinet.
I had her move most, but not all, heavy canned goods to under the bed. Then, I used a jack to raise the cabinets back up to where the belonged, and added L brackets across the front and sides of the cabinets with self tapping screws. The outer cage of the slide out is metal, so the got a good bite. Problem solved for us. Hope that helps.
WyattBSEarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
More fine quality from REV/Fleetwood.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
More fine quality from REV/Fleetwood.
The OP is showing a 2003 model year in his profile so his would be from well before REV Group (formerly known as ASV) was formed in 2010.

Ray
Old 05-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you can access the original screws it would be best to just remove the cabinets, install some proper backing and reinstall them. I could only imagine what could happen if they come down while driving down the highway. If you already have them hanging down 1 1/2" , there can't be much keeping them up anyway.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #7

We have always been aware of weight in the upper cabinets. All our heavy items go into the cabinets on the floor. Just something to consider when loading.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
If you can access the original screws it would be best to just remove the cabinets, install some proper backing and reinstall them. I could only imagine what could happen if they come down while driving down the highway. If you already have them hanging down 1 1/2" , there can't be much keeping them up anyway.
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I believe the reason that the issue originally happened was my own fault. I was storing my DVD collection there, and while an individual DVD feels almost weightless, the combined weight is significant. I found this out when I boxed them up.

I know the upper-back part of the cabinets have to be secured to the wall, but it is not obvious how they do that. There are screws that look likely, but they seem to only hold the back facia panel secure. I removed the screws, and tried to pull that panel out with a bent wire hanger, but it's secured by the sides and bottom, probably from the back during manufacture before they are hung.

I think a post of some sort will be the only viable solution, but the couch is directly underneath, so it will have to be something unusual.

Another thought is to drill completely through the roof, and affix a thin metal strip on top with a carriage bolt coming through (well sealed of course). It depends if there is enough clearance with the frame in the wall.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Just to close out this thread, what I eventually did was to use a hydraulic jack to jamb the cabinets back to the ceiling, and then I removed all the original screws and put probably 20 new ones to replace the original 5. I still don't know what's above the sheet metal ceiling, but I suspect it's mostly styrofoam, so the cabinets are literally hanging from the sheet metal. This explains the small gap at each end. Oh well. That's the best I can do for now. I consider myself to be very savvy from a mechanical and engineering standpoint, but how they originally attached these things in the back has me totally baffled. I see the screws where it's pulling away from the ceiling, but there's no apparent possible way to get to them. Like one of those Chinese puzzles with the hidden compartments

Tags
ceiling