RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Slobber Tube

I have a 05 bounder 34n with a Cat. 300 eng, I keep reading about a slobber tube. Can somebody tell me what it looks like, and better yet post a pic. Im in my high 70s and cant crawl around like I used to.
Thank you,Bob
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Well, I've never heard that particular term, but am thinking it refers to the breather or oil blow-by tube? If that's what it is, on mine it kind of looks like the old washing machine thick rubber drain hose. Mine runs back behind (to the rear of) my rear radiator terminating by the trailer hitch. This is good so that any oil blown out doesn't get sucked into the radiator. I understand some are located in front of the radiator. Net...it should be coming out near the rear of the engine.

While not a motorhome, here's a short video of a Cat in a Kenworth and the blow-by tube.

2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
start the motor, you see smoke in the oilpan area? Thats probably the outlet for it.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Had a 300 Detroit in a Freightliner chassis (2000 Itasca Horizon) tube was not below the radiator and the oily smoke was blowing on the radiator and attracting road dust dirt and debris. Over heated a long pulls but within 5 minute is as back to normal temps. Temporary fix was a handful of quarters at a spray carwash and a lot of degreaser.
Freightliner factory shop in Gaffney put an extension on it and cured the problem.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 PM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

When I had a C7, I just made a simple extension so it would route the hose away from its factory position. The tube you will see hanging down --you'll easily see it when looking under the rear of the coach-- is a 1" ID hose. I purchased a barb-to-barb connector and several feet of hose, some clamps, and used some zip ties I already had sitting around to get the hose away from getting things gunked up near the radiator.

If you watch your oil level closely and not overfill, I found that the slobber tube would give off very little blow-back.

Here's a real old thread, so a lot of the photos have expired, but at least you can read what others have done:

Slobber/Breather Tube Extensions

Below is a picture of a unmodified slobber tube from a CAT C7 so you know what you're looking for.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Had a 300 Detroit in a Freightliner chassis (2000 Itasca Horizon) tube was not below the radiator and the oily smoke was blowing on the radiator and attracting road dust dirt and debris. Over heated a long pulls but within 5 minute is as back to normal temps. Temporary fix was a handful of quarters at a spray carwash and a lot of degreaser.
Freightliner factory shop in Gaffney put an extension on it and cured the problem.
Doc,
You had a "Detroit" diesel in your 2000 Itasca? Wow, as long as I've been involved with diesel coaches, I've not heard of a Detroit in an Itasca in the 2000 era coaches. Every one that I've dealt with, especially with a Freightliner chassis, had either a CAT or Cummins. If yours had a Detroit, that's certainly news to me. I know the old "OLD" bus type converted motorhomes used the old 6V53 Detroits and some might have even used the 8V73 versions. I don't know of any coaches with the 8V92 series engines but, I suppose they might exist. But, a 2000 Itasca, with a Detroit, hmmmm.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebob View Post
I have a 05 bounder 34n with a Cat. 300 eng, I keep reading about a slobber tube. Can somebody tell me what it looks like, and better yet post a pic. Im in my high 70s and cant crawl around like I used to.
Thank you,Bob
Bob,
The term "Slobber Tube" is a loose term used for the Crank case vent tube. It's also known as the "Blow-by" tube. I don't know if you know a ton about engines or not, especially diesels, but, ALL engines, by virtue of they way they operate, create internal pressure, inside the engine block. That internal pressure has to be relieved or, some form of damage is going to take place. Although the principle of operation is the same, I can't speak for Cummins but, on a CAT engine, for years they vented that crankcase pressure via a tube, that emanates from the upper section of the engine, about mid length and, vertically travels straight down, and was abruptly cut off, about the middle of the oil pan.

Now, in general, that pressure generated inside the engine, "may" also contain an oil mist. Well, if the pressure is expelled out the end of that "Blow-by" tube, guess what's also going out of that tube, yep, OIL MIST. The manufacturers of the engines, have done their best to alleviate the oil mist problem but, the internal crankcase pressure still exists.

But, still, in some cases, the oil mist is still there and expelled out that blow by tube. So, if that's the case, your engine fan, acts like a giant vacuum cleaner, sucking up all the dust/debris/mud/leaves/plastic trash bags and more, ALONG WITH THAT OIL MIST, and just where is the air that is generated by the fan to go? ON THE RADIATOR FINS and CAC fins, for cooling. But, oil and dirt don't play well together so, after a while, if that oil mist issue is not absolved, you'll have some clogged up radiator and CAC fins and that Sir, will lead to higher engine operating temps, especially on hills/grades.

So, what CAT and, many of us MacGyver types have done is, EXTEND the tip of that blow-by (slobber tube) to a point at or very near, the rear of the coach. That way, if, IF, you still have oil mist coming from it, it will not get into those fins. Of course, one of the main potential reasons for the oil mist to be present is, an improper (excess) amount of oil in the engine. One has to make darn sure that the proper amount of oil is placed in the engine after an oil change. Hope this info helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #7

As of yet I havent found the vent but I will, and thank you all for your help. We have been rving since 1966 and this is 1st DP only had for 3 years, and still finding things to maintain ,much different than a gasser.
Bob
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote