Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #71

My wife is just like yours Dave. Wants a "Class B" vs. my desire for the 45' DP. I have since convinced her that a small DP may work but we are going to Hersey to go thru the 32' DPs - 45' DPs. We plan to purchase in '15 and full-time for 3-5 years or until we decide where we want to settle. I personally don't think we (me) could live full-time in a 32'; however, I see some who do. We will be looking at Entegra, Tiffin, AC/Fleetwood, Newmar, Winnie, and Thor. Yes ... it's gonna be a long show at Hersey!
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #72

Someone else in my boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
My wife is just like yours Dave. Wants a "Class B" vs. my desire for the 45' DP. I have since convinced her that a small DP may work but we are going to Hersey to go thru the 32' DPs - 45' DPs. We plan to purchase in '15 and full-time for 3-5 years or until we decide where we want to settle. I personally don't think we (me) could live full-time in a 32'; however, I see some who do. We will be looking at Entegra, Tiffin, AC/Fleetwood, Newmar, Winnie, and Thor. Yes ... it's gonna be a long show at Hersey!
Good to hear I'm not alone, that there's someone else in my boat. But yikes, Jake! Even MY wife thinks Class B is cramped for full timing. I've talked mine up to a Class C or a Winnie Via (25' Sprinter Class A), so it might just take some more time to get used to the idea of a large Class A DP. I've got time.

I really wanted to go to Hershey, but other stuff came up. Maybe we'll go to Quartzsite in January.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #73

There is a big RV show in Pomona, CA in October.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #74

Rexhall Owners Group
As said in previous post choose what suits your needs based on budget. One size does not fit all. Our MH DP is 34' and for us it works, two people and 3 dogs ( they tend to make it a little cramped at times due to wanting to sit on the couch not the floor. We don't have a washer and dryer but plan for this as most camp ground have the facilities. What is nice with 34' is we have never had any issues with length when it comes to staying in some camp grounds as you will find some do have restrictions based on MH size. Mileage varies from 9 to 10.5mpg based on terrain and wind. I have found best speed for fuel mileage is 55 to 60 mph with the engine taching 1650 to 1750 rpm. I hope this helps.
Remeber, you are going to love this life style.

Martin
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #75

IM gussin you have more to think about than mileage, iffin the wife is lookin at pop ups, and your lookin at 45ft diesel pushers !
seems like a wide gap to step across.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #76

Thor Owners Club
Just my 2 cents worth, but lifestyle and how you will be using the rv should be bigger considerations in the end. I was lucky growing up that my parents did all the steps for me - tent, huge tent, tent trailer, travel trailer, 5th wheel, small class c and finally mid-size class A and then a large class A. I got to try them all out with 2 adults and 4 kids packed in each and for varying lengths of time. When hubby and I decided years ago that our dream retirement was spending our summers at our lakeside cottage and then traveling for 6 months in the southern USA for the winter, we already knew what we wanted. We ended up with a 30' gas coach that has more than enough room for the 2 of us plus our Cavalier King Charles. We have the walk-around queen bed, tv up front (we never watch tv in the bedroom, even at home), 4 burner stove and oven, larger fridge, room for a desk for me, twin leather euro recliners, etc., etc. We have no slides, so we can use the unit at all times even while driving. The fuel economy does not matter as it is just a part of our budget for the 6 months a year we travel. We can camp anywhere with it (and have!) and it handles easily and fits in all parks. We are not "resort" people, we just like our amenities such as a working shower and toilet while we are camped in some deserted area of the woods beside a beautiful lake or river. We never stay more than a week or two in any one place, as our whole reason for having an rv rather than buying a retirement condo is to see the country, meet new people and enjoy new experiences. We have zip-lined in Mexico, Seguayed in San Antonio, climbed up to the Gila Cliff dwellings in New Mexico, gone caving in Texas, spent Christmas in New Orleans, and seen many, many parts of the country over the years that you would not do if you are parked for months at a time in just one place. I guess that we are just gypsies and this is our caravan
Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian51 View Post

Man I have to take issue with that. Driving a big bus is where the personal fun comes in. The feel of cruising down the road with that monster under your control, floating on an air ride, that is so much of the thrill of a big one! Riding in a truck all day? Whatever floats your boat.
That has got to sum it up for a lot of us, the pure adrenaline rush of starting up that diesel and pushing the D on the keypad(first hearing that big air blast as you push that yellow button) is something you won't get in a 5ver....I know I had one. Like several said, get what you can afford. On our second coach and absolutely love our tag.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #78

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh Honey....

You have to go big or go home...LOL!!! Hubby and I did the small pop up and then the small trailer, then the slightly large gasser and now a 40 foot diesel. And I drive it!!!! We love the extra room and it is a breeze to drive even when towing our CRV. Yes, it takes a little courage but when we get to our destination and we slide out the four rooms, it is heaven!!!! I can cook a scrumptious meal and watch TV in the "Salon", while Hubby takes a nap or watches his shows in the bedroom. The two pups can romp and play and it is the home away from home. I would never think of going back to a smaller RV or a pop-up. Listen to all of the folks that have advised you about spending a rainy weekend in a pop up. It is not too much fun, especially with grandkids and pups....

But maybe you need to learn the hard way like all of us did.....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #79

Thanks for your replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
As said in previous post choose what suits your needs based on budget. One size does not fit all. Our MH DP is 34' and for us it works, two people and 3 dogs... Remeber, you are going to love this life style.
I agree; I really do want to find out what our ideal RV is. Truth is, aside from my "bigger is better" mentality, I have no idea how much space my wife and I need. I may be perfectly happy in 28-32', I don't know. Some have recommended room for friends/family to come along, so that's something to consider. Budget is flexible (once we're ready). Fuel economy would have swayed me toward a smaller coach if it was 16 vs 8 MPG, but my original post was whether sacrificing a LOT of space is worth it for a 2 MPG gain in fuel efficiency (8-10 vs. 10-12 MPG).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
IM gussin you have more to think about than mileage, iffin the wife is lookin at pop ups, and your lookin at 45ft diesel pushers !
seems like a wide gap to step across.
You ain't kiddin'! It's pretty much the widest gap there is in RVs. I'm halfway there though, talked her up to a small Class A already. Frugality is her main reason for a TT, but she was always open to a 5er, which I was not; I've wanted a Class A all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tladouceur58 View Post
Just my 2 cents worth, but lifestyle and how you will be using the rv should be bigger considerations in the end. I was lucky growing up that my parents did all the steps for me - tent, huge tent, tent trailer, travel trailer, 5th wheel, small class c and finally mid-size class A and then a large class A. I got to try them all out with 2 adults and 4 kids packed in each and for varying lengths of time. When hubby and I decided years ago that our dream retirement was spending our summers at our lakeside cottage and then traveling for 6 months in the southern USA for the winter, we already knew what we wanted. We ended up with a 30' gas coach that has more than enough room for the 2 of us plus our Cavalier King Charles. We have the walk-around queen bed, tv up front (we never watch tv in the bedroom, even at home), 4 burner stove and oven, larger fridge, room for a desk for me, twin leather euro recliners, etc., etc. We have no slides, so we can use the unit at all times even while driving. The fuel economy does not matter as it is just a part of our budget for the 6 months a year we travel. We can camp anywhere with it (and have!) and it handles easily and fits in all parks. We are not "resort" people, we just like our amenities such as a working shower and toilet while we are camped in some deserted area of the woods beside a beautiful lake or river. We never stay more than a week or two in any one place, as our whole reason for having an rv rather than buying a retirement condo is to see the country, meet new people and enjoy new experiences. We have zip-lined in Mexico, Seguayed in San Antonio, climbed up to the Gila Cliff dwellings in New Mexico, gone caving in Texas, spent Christmas in New Orleans, and seen many, many parts of the country over the years that you would not do if you are parked for months at a time in just one place. I guess that we are just gypsies and this is our caravan
Sounds like a wonderful life! Thanks for telling us about your experience. Our own family experiences are limited; tent camping and 2 weeks in a Class C rental for me, tent camping and a family van conversion for my wife. I don't know if my wife's Class B experience makes her lean toward the compact RVs, or if it's simple frugality. Either way, I can't wait to get started.

Enjoy your vagabond journeys... we hope to join you soon.
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel