Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #15

Thank you all for your great, valuable feedback.

Considering quality I've now moved onto to a more specific size, layout and subsequently drivability.

At this point I think I am down to:
Bay Star Sport 2815
Winnebago Intent 28Y
Winnebago Navion 24D

Clearly the Class A's offer a lot more space and capacity (tanks, propane etc.). The Intent appears to be better outfitted with systems, the BSS gets the nod for overall quality and the Navion gets the nod for technology and drivability.

I will be putting together a detailed comparison spreadsheet with all the things that are important to us.

I wish the Navion came on the Transit chassis; probably a $20K savings.
tgoulart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #16

I looked through websites for the small class A's before I bought my C. One of the things that really turned me off about them is the wheelbase ratio. If memory serves, the only small A that has a high wheelbase ratio is the Axis line. That Newmar looks really nice, but it has a .53 wheelbase ratio. I don't know why they're always so low on units that are small enough that the steer axle won't be overloaded, but they always tend to be. For the Class C, I gave up living space to have better capability--a higher-capacity hitch, and a longer wheelbase. For instance, my unit has a wheelbase 2" shorter than the Newmar here, for an overall length 2' 7" shorter. That's a lot shorter rear overhang.

Anyway, I'm sure that's not the best way to pick a coach, but it's something to be aware of.

Edit--and holding tank size. I gave up a lot of that, and I'm very jealous of the large tankage on some class A's.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #17

Out of the list I would pick the same 3 as everyone else, Winnebago, Tiffin and Newmar in no particular order, though if I were being honest, I would pick my 2002 Safari Trek over all of them. If I just had to spend more money then it would be a 2006-2007 Safari Trek (the last year they were built).

We have traveled to a 4 or 5 national parks in our coach since buying it in 2016, and find it to be just about as large as I would want and still fit in a large percentage of National Park campgrounds. It is also small enough to travel without a TOAD, though there are limitations on parking and where we go, which we make up for by occasionally renting a car, public transit or using Uber, or our ebike.

Attached is a photo of our coach backed into the parking lot at the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory visitor center in Texas last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trek-blue-bell.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	302183  
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #18

Even though I own a Winnebago I can tell you the Baystar is far nicer than the intent.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #19

Aalmost every one of your listed choices is the entry level model in the respective lineups. I suggest going up to at least the midrange models and then start looking at what you require in terms of layout and features. Test drive the models you are interested in. Then make your decision based on which you like and not on what others tell you to like.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #20

Teamfoxy, name one currently manufactured coach under 30ft that is not considered "entry level"? Part of the problem with the RV industry is the attitude bigger is always better, the most luxurious models are all the biggest today.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Teamfoxy, name one currently manufactured coach under 30ft that is not considered "entry level"? Part of the problem with the RV industry is the attitude bigger is always better, the most luxurious models are all the biggest today.
I suppose that entry level is somewhat subjective, but for example, Coachmen makes the Mirada, which is a step up from the Pusuit and has several models under 35 ft. They used to make the 29 QB, which was a no slide coach at 30 feet. Other brands also have models just over 30 ft. The OP mentioned the Baystar, which has its shortest at 31 feet, and while entry level to Newmar, is not even in the same league with the Intent, Axis, or other models mentioned.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #22

They hold those b+ vans very dear.
A third ace or the little newmar will get you a lot more motorhome for the dollar.

Hell, for not much more than the van, you can get a baby tiffin diesel pusher!
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
They hold those b+ vans very dear.
A third ace or the little newmar will get you a lot more motorhome for the dollar.

Hell, for not much more than the van, you can get a baby tiffin diesel pusher!
Well said !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a