Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Snap-Pads Good or Not-so-Good? You Tell Me

My coach is a new to us 2004 (we are very experienced Rv'ers) but we have never had Snap-Pads... Are they worth it?

Thanks LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #2

Wow! Pricey, indeed. We use a few pieces of a glue lam beam, but Ive used a few 2x10's in the past. I nailed them so grain crossed at 90 degrees and they were less likely to split. Plywood pieces would work fine too if you could get them thick enough. I'd think particle board would soak water up too easily if it were not painted, but for a short time would work OK till you decided what would work for YOU.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put the snap pads on my rig. Tried the placing boards as Pigman1 under the pads just got tired of doing that. I like that the bigger foot print helps on soft turf/soil/sand/asphalt and so on for stability. Also gives additional 1 inch of added height to my stabilizer. Are they necessary no because you can keep knelling on rocks/dirt/asphalt/mud and place boards under the stabilizers.

You decide what you want.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

I was shocked at the price too. I saw them recommended (again) on a blog with a link that had them priced around $275. That didn’t seem worth it to me when I could use other methods to achieve the same results, even if inconvenient and requiring crawling around on the ground. But I just noticed etrailer has them on sale for $109 for a 4 pack of 9 inchers. That's more like it! Order placed!
BeachBeachly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
newbie question as I'm going to buy a class A in the near future... What are snap pads and what are they used for...

thanks in advance...

google is your friend... I read up on them and now understand the why's of their use...
chefred112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #6

I've read everything I can about them and have decided to get them. I have them on order and should get them in December. I've encountered campgrounds that request you put something under your levelers when on blacktop pads, and SnapPads will make an ideal solution. The added height may be of some help in the auto leveling, but I will still keep my supply of boards for those situations where you need them.

Hopefully, later next spring, we will have been able to get out on some trips and I will be able to post a review including my experiences and thoughts on them.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #7

I have Snap-Pads on my 2015 30' Class A Thor Hurricane.

I think they are great - easy to install and now I don't have to crawl around the MH each time I'm going to lower the auto-levelers.

My wife and I like the stabilization and being level even on quick lunch stops. They really do help when stopping on asphalt or gravel.

It did help watching the install video - even though they are easy to install, there are some good tips on-line.

Make sure that you order the correct size (9" / 10" / square for BigFoot jacks / etc.).

Jim
Carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

Thanks everyone I ordered the 8's direct for $104. After reading all the responses on here I feel it's a no brainer anything that keeps my crawling around on the ground I am all for.... Funny thing is no one mentioned the fact that if it is raining no crawling to the mud........... Thanks so much...... LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the snap pads on our coach for 2.5 years now and love them. So good on gravel and soft ground.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #10

We bought a set a few years ago through a group buy on one of the RV forums. Can’t remember price, but seemed reasonable.
As to function, they work well on uneven pavement and ground.
They were a good purchase. [emoji1303]
Mel556180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #11

Same discussion here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/jac...es-514948.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #12

Have them on our class C and love them. Still carry wood but now rarely need to get the blocks out. Wish I had them on our class A. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Snap-Pads Good or Not-so-Good? You Tell Me

I decided not to get them based on a couple of factors. My jacks have really large feet as it is. The snap pads are a octagon superimposed on a circle, which really doesn’t give much more foot “area”. Also my jacks don’t have that much ground clearance when driving as it is.....I don’t want them hanging down another couple of inches to potentially strike something along the roadway while driving. Also be careful because many jacks, mine included don’t have much clearance from other components when retracted and the snap pads may interfere with them fully retracting.

I have only seen my jack feet sink into wet grass one time, and that was with ground so soft my shoes sunk in while walking the same ground. Snap-pads would not have helped in that situation..... what helped was putting 2x12 boards 24 inches long under the jacks....

Name:   IMG_9380.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  12.0 KB
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Well worth it for me. No more putting dirty, muddy pads or blocks in the basement. No cleaning and drying before putting away. For parks that require pads, I don't have to carry and put anything down, just drop the jacks. I no longer have rust spots on my driveway when I have the MH home for a few days. To be honest, I can't find a reason not to have them. I have the largest most expensive size, they are worth every penny for me. Just purchased my second set for the new MH.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote