RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

Snow chains

So, I expect to see some snow this winter. I have one set of tire chains, but hope I don't have to use them. BUT, if I do, my coach is single rear axel w/duellys. Rear only, or should I get another set. (preference will be setting it out, but...) thanks
jimd3246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd3246 View Post
Rear only, or should I get another set. (preference will be setting it out, but...) thanks
I'm a little confused!?

Do you mean by the statement above that you are considering a set of chains for the front? If so...NO no chains on the front.

I bought chains more than 20 years ago for the OUTER tire in the duel rear tires. I've never used them...they are just insurance. I'm not sure they will fit my current motorhome.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #3

If I would feel that I need to put chains on, that's when I would find a place to park. Then I would have a couple Crown and waters and wait till I don't need chains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd3246 View Post
So, I expect to see some snow this winter. I have one set of tire chains, but hope I don't have to use them. BUT, if I do, my coach is single rear axel w/duellys. Rear only, or should I get another set. (preference will be setting it out, but...) thanks
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:13 AM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Yes, the outside dual on each side is all that is necessary (or required).

As you probably are aware, Washington state law requires you to carry chains going over the passes from November through March whether needed or not. But as others have said and you have implied, it's better to sit it out.

I've put on chains numerous times on commercial buses going over Snoqualmie and Stevens and it's not fun. I also had to put chains on semis back in the 70s when driving over the Blues in northeastern Oregon ...the stretch from Pendleton to Ontario where sometimes they'd have to come on and off several times on that stretch and memories of those times are not fond ones either.

On a motorhome, it's not worth the risk of causing damage using chains or even cables. Both chains and cables can cause damage to the wheel well, paint, or fiberglass if you break a link or a tightener comes loose, etc. It's not worth it to me on a motorhome to risk it.

Plus, I've had both chains and cables on buses come loose and wrap themselves between the duals and it's not fun crawling around in freezing weather and in slush, snow, or mud trying to untangle them.

Once coming over Stevens with a motorhome, the "chains required" was posted behind us and we got trapped and instead of trying to chain up, we were lucky to find a nice wide spot on the side of the road to just waited it out.

After all, you have a house on wheels so unless you have to be somewhere and in a time crunch, you should have everything you need to offer all the comforts of home while you wait.

eta: btw, "Autosocks" are approved traction devices for Class A motorhomes in Washington state. You may want to consider getting those if you figure you must drive your motorhome in snow conditions. You didn't mention what other states you are planning on driving the motorhome in the winter. The laws in Oregon, California, Utah, and Colorado do vary slightly from Washington.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

Chains on the outer rear wheels will help , but for maximum traction you need to put chains on the inner rear wheels as well especially if you are planning any off highway driving. You must also reduce your speed significantly when running chains.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #6

….I have heard that you can basically "rent" chains in OR to meet the requirement to "carry chains."....intent is to meet the requirement vs ever intending to use them. Chains on commercial vehicles--sure; RVs--not so much.... So many bad things [damage-wise] can happen from improperly installed or broken chains--just not worth it--IMHO....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Chains on the outer rear wheels will help , but for maximum traction you need to put chains on the inner rear wheels as well especially if you are planning any off highway driving. You must also reduce your speed significantly when running chains.
Oh man, no way ...with all due respect. Commonly called dual-triples (and those are the only way to go if chaining both inside and outside duals), they are cumbersome, heavy, awkward to install, difficult to store and just not worth considering for the typical Class A motorhome.

Unless it's a Prevost or other OTR -type chassis, many ordinary Class A motorhomes will have clearance issues if using triples. Heck, even chaining the outside dual only, some Class A motorhomes will have clearance problems.

For emergency vehicles, local delivery vehicles, and other types of trucks that need their chains on all day for commercial purposes might benefit from using triples or trucks that transverse steep mountain passes in heavy snow or bad ice conditions might consider using them but for the typical motorhome, I wouldn't even consider it.

Even the commercial buses I drove many years ago, using steel chains on the outside duals sufficed in just about every condition I encountered. Most buses and motorhomes are not venturing off-road and are using chains for only a short period usually only to get through a restricted area where chains are required on major roadways.

So no, I certainly wouldn't recommend the typical Class A owner to even consider buying dual-triples.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Many names .. I guess ? Three Railers was the only one we used
And no you donít want chains on a motorhome with too tight clearance and after all the links Iíve broken damage would be severe I drove commercially we were required to use 3railers if chains were used , ( not that we always did but it WAS the requirement ) the inner tire will float on the snow and raise the outer chained tire so itís not useful , letting you lose control.
Les Scwab used to sell you chains that you could return if not used , to be legal , but Iíve never seen them rented. While the law does says you must carry. unless your actual chain required to drive roads Ďsnow ON the roadí Ive never heard of a pvt motorhome being pulled over to show them.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #9

This is an alternative to traditional tire chains: https://ziptietraction.com/
If enough of us contact the mfgr and request sizes for MH wheels perhaps we will have an option to regular tire chains and the associated body damage. I have no idea if it meets the chain requirements for the NW
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #10

I carry Autosocks for emergency only and it also covers you where you must carry traction devices over passes in the winter months. They are nice and easy to pack all year round.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
I carry Autosocks for emergency only and it also covers you where you must carry traction devices over passes in the winter months. They are nice and easy to pack all year round.
Thanks for the information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
eta: btw, "Autosocks" are approved traction devices for Class A motorhomes in Washington state. You may want to consider getting those if you figure you must drive your motorhome in snow conditions. You didn't mention what other states you are planning on driving the motorhome in the winter. The laws in Oregon, California, Utah, and Colorado do vary slightly from Washington.
I have tje Autosocks for my MH. Never plan on using them but at least I'm legal. Jeep is 4 wheel drive with winter traction tires and braking system so no problem.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:28 AM   #13

Thank you all for your responses. I was actually just curious, more than anything. I am truly a believer to wait it out! I carry a set of chains (cables) to stay legal, but wouldn't ever want to put them on. It was great to see these responses, thanks again.
jimd3246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:52 AM   #14

If chains are needed, I stay home. Ain't worth it.

If I pay many, many $1000's for my coach, why would I expose it to damage from chains or road salt?
Ah, NO!
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote