Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Snow chains or Snow socks

I am traveling south from Canada to Palm Springs in Febuary for the first time. Would like to know if I will Legally Need to carry chains or equivalent. Will be traveling down I 15. Also would like to hear some opinions on snow socks from someone who has actually used them.
fchabotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ever watch the show "Highway thru Hell"?
One episode, one of the tow operators pointed at a stuck semi's snow socks, and laughed !!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We are going from Montana to Laughlin down I15 the end of February also. There are places that will require chains on that route (primarily passes) if the road is sufficiently snow or ice. We've been over that route as far as Vegas many times over the years pulling fifthwheels with 4x4 pickups but never had to chain up. I'm buying cable chains this week because of the limited space and if I have to use them (which I hope to never have to do) and I think they'll hold up better than the socks. Several internet places such as tirechain.com can tell you which states require you to carry them. The fines can be pretty stiff if you get spun out halfway up a pass somewhere. I'd rather have them and not need rather than the other way around. Don't have experience with socks although probably work fine but I wonder how they'd hold up over a few miles?
igave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

I have both. Socks work good in the packed snow. If I am in freezing rain, I use chains.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #5

Here is a youtube video of a review of a sock on his Entegra MH:

FireEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Go straight south to Casper, then head for Salt Lake City, then head across to the west.

Plan your departure around good weather and stop before you drive into any storms. It takes less time to wait out a storm than it does to get an insurance claim settled.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We traveled that route several times and like said above watch the weather reports and state hwy condition reports. I always watched the seven day forecast and traveled between storms and never had any problems. I do have a set of cable chains for the coach and toad but never plan to use them. They are there to prove that I have them to avoid being turned back or fined. I have had them eight years and never used them or been asked if I have them. You can google the state weather and road reports.
Have a safe trip and enjoy!!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Good video of the snow sock application. I wish the audio was better so you could hear what he was saying. But I got the point.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #9

Here's an interesting side note to keep in my if considering snow socks:

In Washington state (which it doesn't appear that the OP will be traveling though but for others who may be interested), the only chain alternative accepted for a vehicle over 10,000 lbs. with five or less axles is THE AutoSock. Similar socks such as Grip Tex or SOS Grip are not approved for such a vehicle.

Attached chart for alternative traction devices approved for use when "Chains Required" signs are posted in Washington state:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alt_traction_device_WSDOT.pdf (132.5 KB, 125 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I have both but I will tell you this, if it requires chains them I'm overnighting. I have the AutoSocks. In packed snow or fresh snow they work pretty good. Even on a tad icy roads.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
FYI mine are the AL284 size
Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #12

Re: WADOT rules, the AutoSock would not be approved with six or more axles, so if you are towing 4 down you would not comply (that would be my own interpretation anyway).
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
Re: WADOT rules, the AutoSock would not be approved with six or more axles, so if you are towing 4 down you would not comply (that would be my own interpretation anyway).
Axles not tires.

4 tires down is still just 2 axles.

Even a large MH with a tag axle only has 3 axles.

That means most rigs would be legal.

A 45' triple axle MH with a triple axle stacker trailer would have to use chains.
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #14

I agree fully with markbarendt's interpretation and explanation as to the WSDOT flyer posted above.

THE AutoSock must have test results much better than any of the other similar products.

However, in talking with truckers who have used them (I've personally never used them), some of the negatives they mentioned are:

1) they wear VERY quickly once on bare pavement. Many times when traversing mountain passes when "chains required" is posted, there could be stretches of bare pavement interspersed with compact snow and ice. These bare section of the pavement could last a 1/4 mile or more depending on the mountainous region being traveled. Therefore, in a commercial application where a truck is regularly traversing mountain passes in the winter and encountering "chains required," these AutoSocks wear out very quickly and therefore become an expensive alternative to traditional chains.

2) in certain conditions where icy ridges are formed between lanes of travel, if bumping into those ridges accidentally or sometimes when changing lanes, the sock could come off the tire.

3) in the condition where pocked ice forms on the pavement --more common where a section goes un-plowed for awhile-- some have complained that tears have occurred at the seams or even on the main surface area of the sock.

With that said, for a Class A motorhome application, it may be worth carrying these AutoSocks in place of chains since they are an "approved alternative traction device" that can be considered a chain-substitute in the majority of states (I believe I read that they are approved in 45 states but I'm not sure if that's only for passenger cars or if that also pertains to heavy trucks, buses, motorhomes, etc.).

To address the OP's opening post, yes, I personally believe you should consider the AutoSock as you are required in most mountainous states to carry chains or an approved alternative traction device on-board while going through designated sections of highway in the winter months ...whether you use or intend to use them or not, you MUST carry them on-board according to law.

As others have said, if it's bad enough to have "chains required" posted, most of us will just pull over and wait it out. After all, you have a house with you. You can relax and watch TV, read, eat, nap, etc. while waiting. If on an interstate highway, typically "chains required" situations will not last too long. Sure, sometimes there will be times when an interstate is closed for a day or "chains required" is up for hours and hours but that is not the norm. Interstate highways are priorities to be kept open because of commercial traffic and all states do their best to keep them open during adverse weather conditions and keep them closed for as little time as possible.

Pertaining to chains, if you do choose to use them, make sure you have enough clearance in the wheel well area. Many Class A motorhomes do not have the clearance to run steel links. And if you do have the clearance and choose to use them, keep in mind that if a link breaks or you don't secure your fasteners or excess linkage correctly, you may do very expensive damage to the body of your motorhome ...fiberglass, paint damage, etc.
And not to mention getting steel chains or cables wrapped around in the space between the duals and having to hassle trying to get them untangled or cut off when it's freezing cold, snowing, raining or freezing raining ...don't ask me how I know.

Bottom line, as most of us profess, just pull over and wait it out under "chains required" situations.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote