Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have heard of the roof aluminum afters bending with snow load. But I would expect that was a lot of snow and ice. But the rafters span the rv so it's not about lb/sqft, it's the entire load carried by x number of rafters spanding about 8 feet.. Bridge load.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
32,000+ lbs.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmonaco View Post
my Monaco is stored outside, how much snow on roof is ok? i can go shovel it off every once in a while, should i start the motor and run the furnace for a while also to get some heat going? Thanks
I see your location is Santa Rosa, CA. If your rig is being stored there, I'd say don't worry.

Shovel? No way! Sweep? Sure, sometimes.

The reason a waterproof cover on the roof is a good idea is because fine blowing snow is like dust, it can get inside places and form little piles that later melt and make "leaks" in places your would never get leaks normally. The second is as snow accumulates, it can form dams that when things start to melt, or you heat the underneath layer by running a furnace, directs water into places it wouldn't normally do. We dealt with both problems in our buildings during the winter. We got a lot of leaks as the temps started to warm and the water couldn't drain as it normally did. An RV is less complicated so the chances of those things happening are reduced, but can still happen.

When I stored my rigs outside, I started off with a cover, but found wrestling with a wet cover while standing on an RV roof was not only a hassle, but a hazard, but we usually had mild enough weather we'd camp during the winter so there was more on/off cycles of the cover than there would be if it was just stored for the winter. Our snow events were usually pretty short lived. What I did instead, when it did snow, was to get a stiff broom and make sure to brush it off before it accumulated, using a step ladder. I didn't need to be thorough, just sweep off the easy to reach spots, and I never tried to get it all off. If it was only going to be 6" or less, I wouldn't bother.

One thing to note: ANY mechanical method of snow removal poses a risk of you doing some damage. There's a lot of plastic on RVs and plastic get brittle in the cold. We had people at work that got too aggressive doing snow removal which made for more repairs later.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Living in the north. Every winter when there is heavy snow there someone that falls off their roof cleaning off snow.

Be careful, I would expect an rv roof with snow and a little water would be to slick for me to walk on. If I needed to clean my rv roof. I would use my 10 steep lader and my push broom. Never getting on the roof.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:37 AM   #19

I could see in the heavily forested areas there could get a heavier accumulation of snow on the roof but out here in the parries it blows ALL the time so accumulation is never a worry, thank goodness.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I could see in the heavily forested areas there could get a heavier accumulation of snow on the roof but out here in the parries it blows ALL the time so accumulation is never a worry, thank goodness.
X2. I have an Adco Designer Series cover on my motorhome. This winter is typical. We had 6 inches of snow 4 days ago. There's not any snow on the rv roof after a few days of wind. The cover helps when the wind blows by flexing enough to toss up the snow off the roof.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:47 AM   #21

Mine is outside uncovered as I had expected to be in Florida by now, but things change. My concern is that I need to remove snow when I'm ready to leave as it's illegal in NH and elsewhere to drive with snow on roof. It's a fiberglass roof so should I be concerned with walking on it in 20 degree temps? I've gotten on roof and cleaned off my 5th wheel rubber roof mid winter. As mentioned, a good broom and much care around all plastic. I just wasn't sure about fiberglass in the cold and walking on it.

Thanx - Dean
Old 01-17-2022, 06:56 AM   #22

We had the 40 inch record snow last Dec 2020.
My 43 ft had 40 inches on the roof.
I took it to melt it.
I calculated about 4000lbs on the roof.
My airbags had a hard time with the weight as I drove it one mile to melt it
Watch
https://youtu.be/OKH4YNS3xKM
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I took it to melt it.
Watch
Good friend you have there. He deserves a gift certificate for him and his significant other to his favorite restaurant. Matter of fact, go with them and buy the drinks and throw the tip down.
Good for you for getting the roof cleaned off.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Good friend you have there. He deserves a gift certificate for him and his significant other to his favorite restaurant. Matter of fact, go with them and buy the drinks and throw the tip down.
Good for you for getting the roof cleaned off.
I did!
I sent him this
https://www.ohdanishbakery.com/

And bought a new 2021 Honda Pilot from him.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I took it to melt it.
Watch
I would have guessed days to melt all that snow.

I am comfy on a ladder and on slippery roofs so I use a snow shovel to get all but 6" deep and then broom the rest. My RV won't fit in my barn :(

Tags
roof