Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

So, took first “long trip”... some odd questions...

Took a 4 hour trip, 2000 Winnebago ultimate advantage...

99% went great, no big issues, had lots of fun, but some issues would love to get input on....

1) filling up before the trip... not easy. Had to twist nozzle and hold in the 3 o’clock position to get diesel to flow. But worked, about 1/2 speed... on the way back, it just wouldn’t flow. Took 5 minutes to do 30 gallons. Research suggests a clogged vent? Is there a fuel diagram somewhere of this model?

2) after it was off for several days, restarted it. Tanks filled with air, buzzer goes off. Gauges though day we have “0” psi in the rear tank! Front 130 psi. Oil gauge pegged to right “total over fill.” Panic sets in.... checked oil manually, it’s fine. Rear air bags up, no loud hiss. I shut it off, restart, and all is back to normal! I have no idea what caused that, never happened before...

3) we had lots of rain. Fuel door key went it, wouldn’t come out or turn. To top it off, broke off. Opened the door with a screwdriver... rust I suspect? Will disassemble the lock, lube, get new key...

4) not sure I trust the garmin... it was making several lousy recommendation. For example, I can turn left and go 3 blocks and get on the highway. Garmin wanted me to go 5 miles RIGHT down a 1 lane road, make a u-turn, and come back!!! I can’t find any reason why it keeps doing this... I do not have a tremendous amount of faith in this...

Thanks folks...
bpu699 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #2

bpu699:

Sorry, I can't help with 1), 2) or 3).
4) - I assume the Garmin GPS you have is for RVs or trucks
- Did you pre-program the route, either on the unit or in BaseCamp?
- Are your rig dimensions entered into the unit (length, width, height)?

My Garmin RV760 will sometimes object to going the fastest way if it's not sure whether that road is "RV worthy". If I know it is, I take it anyway and let it recalculate.

Before setting off, I tap the map and have it show me the entire route, zooming in if I need to. That way I don't get any surprises.

A GPS will give you lots of grief if you rely on it soley, especially if you just turn it on, give it a destination and say "GO". Unfortunately, they need considerable TLC!

O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Lloyd View Post
bpu699:

Sorry, I can't help with 1), 2) or 3).
4) - I assume the Garmin GPS you have is for RVs or trucks
- Did you pre-program the route, either on the unit or in BaseCamp?
- Are your rig dimensions entered into the unit (length, width, height)?

My Garmin RV760 will sometimes object to going the fastest way if it's not sure whether that road is "RV worthy". If I know it is, I take it anyway and let it recalculate.

Before setting off, I tap the map and have it show me the entire route, zooming in if I need to. That way I don't get any surprises.

A GPS will give you lots of grief if you rely on it soley, especially if you just turn it on, give it a destination and say "GO". Unfortunately, they need considerable TLC!

O LLOYD
I have the garmin rv 785... truck type, etc, is punched in...

Haven’t tried tapping the map? Just tap a couple times and shows the whole route? I do zoom out, which takes forever...

My old garmin for cars used to show all the turn on the right of the screen, and you could scroll through them. This one doesn’t seem to do that?
Old 05-21-2021, 04:55 PM   #4

On my RV760, I tap the map once, then hold down the minus sign until it zooms out to where I can see the whole route.
When you tap the map once on yours, do you get 3 boxes on the left hand side?
If you do (my DriveSmart does), one of them (I think the middle one) will show the entire route.
You may be able to set up your "dashboard" to display the turns. I'm not familiar with the 785.

O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
2 and 3 sound electrical I would verify all ground.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your fuel problem is pretty common. Your vent hose should come up along the fill hose and probably vents at the fill neck Sometimes the fill hose is too long and gets a bend in it which makes a high volume nozzle shut off. You can remove the hose and reinstall it so its more straight into the tank. Usually an easy fix.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

We had a 2000 Itasca Horizon which is very similar to your Ultimate Advantage and was built on a Freightliner chassis.

For the entire 6 years we had it, it was slow filling on fuel. Sometimes if the rig was tilted just right it would fill normally, otherwise I'd set the nozzle on the lowest notch and wash windows or check tires. I always admired the truckers with saddle tanks that would take fuel at full speed.

Your erratic air pressure readings could be caused by a bad VDC. I think I replaced ours twice and even tried the cold solder repair unsuccessfully. It's on the front side of the engine compartment under the bed with air lines attached.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Your fuel problem is pretty common. Your vent hose should come up along the fill hose and probably vents at the fill neck Sometimes the fill hose is too long and gets a bend in it which makes a high volume nozzle shut off. You can remove the hose and reinstall it so its more straight into the tank. Usually an easy fix.
Will look at it tommorrow... hopefully easy to get to...
Old 05-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
We had a 2000 Itasca Horizon which is very similar to your Ultimate Advantage and was built on a Freightliner chassis.

For the entire 6 years we had it, it was slow filling on fuel. Sometimes if the rig was tilted just right it would fill normally, otherwise I'd set the nozzle on the lowest notch and wash windows or check tires. I always admired the truckers with saddle tanks that would take fuel at full speed.

Your erratic air pressure readings could be caused by a bad VDC. I think I replaced ours twice and even tried the cold solder repair unsuccessfully. It's on the front side of the engine compartment under the bed with air lines attached.
It’s odd that the oil level and air pressure both acted odd at the same time, then corrected simultaneously... if I recall I just twisted the key to start, didn’t let the gauges do their little dance before settling, wonder if that caused it...

If the sender were bad, wouldn’t the low pressure buzzer/light be on?
Old 05-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Took a 4 hour trip, 2000 Winnebago ultimate advantage...

99% went great, no big issues, had lots of fun, but some issues would love to get input on....

1) filling up before the trip... not easy. Had to twist nozzle and hold in the 3 o’clock position to get diesel to flow. But worked, about 1/2 speed... on the way back, it just wouldn’t flow. Took 5 minutes to do 30 gallons. Research suggests a clogged vent? Is there a fuel diagram somewhere of this model?

2) after it was off for several days, restarted it. Tanks filled with air, buzzer goes off. Gauges though day we have “0” psi in the rear tank! Front 130 psi. Oil gauge pegged to right “total over fill.” Panic sets in.... checked oil manually, it’s fine. Rear air bags up, no loud hiss. I shut it off, restart, and all is back to normal! I have no idea what caused that, never happened before...

3) we had lots of rain. Fuel door key went it, wouldn’t come out or turn. To top it off, broke off. Opened the door with a screwdriver... rust I suspect? Will disassemble the lock, lube, get new key...

4) not sure I trust the garmin... it was making several lousy recommendation. For example, I can turn left and go 3 blocks and get on the highway. Garmin wanted me to go 5 miles RIGHT down a 1 lane road, make a u-turn, and come back!!! I can’t find any reason why it keeps doing this... I do not have a tremendous amount of faith in this...

Thanks folks...
#1, You have two filler necks, remove both fuel caps. Problem solved. I too have problems with the large nozzle for HDT's, Nearly all truck stops have an auto nozzle on one end pump, stop back far enough so you may walk up to the end pumps and find the auto nozzle.
$2, HIgh pressure reading when engine is cold seems common, could be an indicator oil pressure sender is clogged? Mine's been that way since 2013 that I know of.
#3, Lock lubricant/silicone spray solves that one.
#4, Go back and review the settings to make sure they match your specific RV measurements and weights.

#0, Relax and enjoy yourself. It'll all work out OK.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
#1, You have two filler necks, remove both fuel caps. Problem solved. I too have problems with the large nozzle for HDT's, Nearly all truck stops have an auto nozzle on one end pump, stop back far enough so you may walk up to the end pumps and find the auto nozzle.
$2, HIgh pressure reading when engine is cold seems common, could be an indicator oil pressure sender is clogged? Mine's been that way since 2013 that I know of.
#3, Lock lubricant/silicone spray solves that one.
#4, Go back and review the settings to make sure they match your specific RV measurements and weights.

#0, Relax and enjoy yourself. It'll all work out OK.
Thanks, didn’t know there was an automobile nozzle... will now look for them.

The gauge reading sky high was oil level...
Old 05-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
.....if I recall I just twisted the key to start, didn’t let the gauges do their little dance before settling, wonder if that caused it...

On a diesel rig always just turn the key to first click and wait......wait until warning, or “wait to start” lights go out, usually around 5-10 seconds, before engaging starter.

Every system has a computer, and they need time to communicate with one another before firing up. Obviously this is more important with a later model that has DEF, DPF, etc.... than a very old diesel with none of this stuff.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2) Since more than one gage is behaving erratically, points to bad ground or other intermittent connection.
How did you check the oil manually, test gage in the oil pressure sender port?
Oil level and oil pressure are not the same, other than if there is no oil there is also no oil pressure.

4) I plug my Garmin into my laptop with internet connection at least once a year to get any updates to software and any road etc. changes.
And as others have indicated, we never trust the Garmin alone. Garmin RV typically shows RV friendly routes, Google Maps the current conditions, satellite views etc. And always the trusty hard copy Road Atlas to get the big picture. That got us all over the country decades before the electronic gadgets.