Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #1

So...we rented a Class A DP - Allegro Tag Axle

We have our fifth wheel in the shop getting a new roof. Thanks to some poorly placed trees on the exit to a site that we couldn't clear. Should have backed out of the pull thru. Anyways.....

We rented a 2013 Tiffin Allegro for our hotel stay while the roof is done, and we're doing just a little bit of traveling in it. Observations, compared to two fifth wheels and multiple tow vehicles.

Biggest thing I notice is an almost total disconnect from the engine and transmission. This thing feels like driving an electric golf cart. Zero engine noise/shifting/etc. Push the gas and it goes....albeit a little slow and underpowered, but there is no engine feedback due the rear engine. I'm not sure I like it.

It creaks alot on uneven surfaces, and bangs on rough road. With that being said, nothing fell over/off the counters in it. Ride was pretty smooth.

It feels like I have to take turns extra, extra wide. This is coming from towing a 45 foot fiver with a 30 foot semi. But - it was easy to back up and turn around. Maybe it's just a learning curve, but I'm deathly afraid of hitting something.

Setup upon arrival was a breeze. We don't have a toad hooked up, so it was just auto level, hook up utilities, and put the slides out.

Generator while driving was nice - nice and cool rig when we got to our destination.

Not sure if I can deal with the kitchen. Well, I can, but not sure I would like it long term. My fiver has a huge kitchen!

Main living space feels roomy and spacious, but we are missing the pantry, counter space, and reclining sofa.

Driving this thing through construction with Jersey barriers on both sides sucked. Did it in the semi/fiver earlier in the day, and it sucked a little less then. Maybe because it was my rig. Who knows.

First time using an RV washer dryer. Over an hour long cycle time? Ugh, nobody has time for that. We get two weeks of laundry done in a laundromat in two hours.

My dogs (allowed in the rental) found a mud pit in the dog park and proceeded to roll around in it. All the linens in the motorhome are white. So...impromptu trip to get dog shampoo and cheap towels. Of all times to play in the mud.

Is every DP creaky? Or are the higher end ones, like Country Coach, less prone to it? Is it something you just get used to?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
First time I've read of a critique of a DP by 5'er person but good feedback.

Might be me but my 2002 doesn't' crick, some occasional rattles though.

Each motorhome has different floor plans, some with larger kitchens and storage, others not so much. Ours is small but functional, it would be nice if it were bigger but good enough for now.

You hit a lot of the main points but one thing I like about being in a Class A DP is that while on the road if you pull over you don't have to get out to use the facilities or sleep. Just pull into a rest stop, have a bit to eat, watch some TV, and hit the sack. On board generator provides power for AC if needed.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Creaky yes and not unless you move up to like a liberty coach. You can start tracking them down one by one and I think the older DP have less than the new ones.

You get use to the turning.

Regarding the kitchen you need to find the floor plan you like some are small some are large we have an older coach and removed the dining area across from the main kitchen and turned it into more kitchen.

Laundry get rid of the all in one and get a stacker. But the point is no 2hr in the laundry mat wash at your leisure.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
First time I've read of a critique of a DP by 5'er person but good feedback.

Might be me but my 2002 doesn't' crick, some occasional rattles though.

Each motorhome has different floor plans, some with larger kitchens and storage, others not so much. Ours is small but functional, it would be nice if it were bigger but good enough for now.

You hit a lot of the main points but one thing I like about being in a Class A DP is that while on the road if you pull over you don't have to get out to use the facilities or sleep. Just pull into a rest stop, have a bit to eat, watch some TV, and hit the sack. On board generator provides power for AC if needed.

Yeah, the easy use of the facilities is a huge selling point to me. Maybe it's just the Allegro that creaks, I don't know. Tiffin has some good floorplans, but I've always been drawn to Newmar or Country Coach. The old Prevost call my name all the time, but I don't know if I could do without slides.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
Creaky yes and not unless you move up to like a liberty coach. You can start tracking them down one by one and I think the older DP have less than the new ones.

You get use to the turning.

Regarding the kitchen you need to find the floor plan you like some are small some are large we have an older coach and removed the dining area across from the main kitchen and turned it into more kitchen.

Laundry get rid of the all in one and get a stacker. But the point is no 2hr in the laundry mat wash at your leisure.

This is a stacker washer/dryer. It was just a shock to see the hour plus cycle time on a washer.

I think the pantry is the biggest thing missing in the kitchen - need a floor plan that has one, I think, to consider it.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My LA is very quiet on the highway. All MHs will make sounds if you hit holes or really rough roadways. I don't miss not having engine feedback. I like the quiet.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How did you like the view out of the windshield? We really like how much we can see.

Toughest part of driving a class A is when they put the concrete barriers right on top of the white lines. Pretty simple for me now but the first few times it was a bit scary.

I'd rather back my class A than a trailer anytime, really easy.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #8

You say DP is creaky, have you had someone drive your 5th wheel while you where in it, you might be surprised how quite the class A DP is. Not defending DP but most 5th wheels do not have generators so I can see how that was a big plus.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:57 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have stacked washer / dryer, and I never really cared how long it took because instead of sitting in a laundromat, I'm in a lawn chair sipping a frosty cold one(s) !
Old 05-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
My LA is very quiet on the highway. All MHs will make sounds if you hit holes or really rough roadways. I don't miss not having engine feedback. I like the quiet.

I guess the engine thing is something to get used to. I'm so used to being able to hear everything...how do you detect when something isn't right?
Old 05-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
You say DP is creaky, have you had someone drive your 5th wheel while you where in it, you might be surprised how quite the class A DP is. Not defending DP but most 5th wheels do not have generators so I can see how that was a big plus.

Nope, no way in hell I'd ride in that death trap! We're just isolated from it with the tow vehicle.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How did you like the view out of the windshield? We really like how much we can see.

Toughest part of driving a class A is when they put the concrete barriers right on top of the white lines. Pretty simple for me now but the first few times it was a bit scary.

I'd rather back my class A than a trailer anytime, really easy.

The view is awesome. I will give it that, but the view from the Volvo is pretty good to. Not quiet as grand, but good. The Jersey barriers gave me tunnel vision today - I was afraid to look anywhere but forward with them. It was on I35 between Ft. Worth and Denton, and it was narrow! I was waiting for the impact - fortunately it never came!
Old 05-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #13

The washer and dryer at my house have about an hour cycle time, but they are probably 3x the size.

Interesting comments on being disconnected from the engine. I often wonder if the people that say a gas engine is struggling would say the same thing if they were disconnected like you were in the DP.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I guess the engine thing is something to get used to. I'm so used to being able to hear everything...how do you detect when something isn't right?
Boost gauge and check / stop engine light !

Tags
allegro, class a, tag axle