Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
We have our fifth wheel in the shop getting a new roof. Thanks to some poorly placed trees on the exit to a site that we couldn't clear. Should have backed out of the pull thru. Anyways.....
Hindsight...I had a little oops a few days ago, I should exercised some patience and gone around the long way

We rented a 2013 Tiffin Allegro for our hotel stay while the roof is done, and we're doing just a little bit of traveling in it. Observations, compared to two fifth wheels and multiple tow vehicles.
Biggest thing I notice is an almost total disconnect from the engine and transmission. This thing feels like driving an electric golf cart. Zero engine noise/shifting/etc. Push the gas and it goes....albeit a little slow and underpowered, but there is no engine feedback due the rear engine. I'm not sure I like it.
It’s back there if you listen for it - I like a little more feedback too, but I really like the quiet ride. I spend a lot more time looking at the tach than I do in a truck

It creaks alot on uneven surfaces, and bangs on rough road. With that being said, nothing fell over/off the counters in it. Ride was pretty smooth.
As others have said, you don’t know what’s going on in a trailer when driving. I’m sure there are times it gets pretty loud back there

It feels like I have to take turns extra, extra wide. This is coming from towing a 45 foot fiver with a 30 foot semi. But - it was easy to back up and turn around. Maybe it's just a learning curve, but I'm deathly afraid of hitting something.
Depends on the coach and if you have a passive steer tag. You’d get used to it

Setup upon arrival was a breeze. We don't have a toad hooked up, so it was just auto level, hook up utilities, and put the slides out.
Yup - quick and easy

Generator while driving was nice - nice and cool rig when we got to our destination.
I don’t do it often, dash air is usually enough, but nice when you need the extra cooling - I sure the dogs appreciate it

Not sure if I can deal with the kitchen. Well, I can, but not sure I would like it long term. My fiver has a huge kitchen!

Main living space feels roomy and spacious, but we are missing the pantry, counter space, and reclining sofa.

Driving this thing through construction with Jersey barriers on both sides sucked. Did it in the semi/fiver earlier in the day, and it sucked a little less then. Maybe because it was my rig. Who knows.
You get used to that too - seems tight at times, but once you’re comfortable with your corners, it’s less stressful

First time using an RV washer dryer. Over an hour long cycle time? Ugh, nobody has time for that. We get two weeks of laundry done in a laundromat in two hours.
Really nice to be able to do small loads whenever you feel like it, even several times a week - the washer is my hamper - when it’s getting full I run it. You can pack a lot less clothing that way.

My dogs (allowed in the rental) found a mud pit in the dog park and proceeded to roll around in it. All the linens in the motorhome are white. So...impromptu trip to get dog shampoo and cheap towels. Of all times to play in the mud.
A full tile floor and central vac make all the difference with dogs on board

Is every DP creaky? Or are the higher end ones, like Country Coach, less prone to it? Is it something you just get used to?
Some more than others - I’m always chasing down rattles but some of it is inevitable
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #30

Day two of living in a DP:

It rained all day today. We broke camp and left in the rain. Much easier than the fiver, almost no effort. We aren't doing a toad, so nothing to hookup. I never really gave any thought to the electric power and hose reels, but they sure do make life easier.

Still feels like I have to take corners extra wide, but I used the tag dump a couple times and it was better. On a Tiffin - do you have to keep holding the button down to keep it dumped, or does it dump, then refill at a certain speed? I held it down in the tight corners.

The front of the motorhome is facing a lake and sunset tonight. I'm in the drivers recliner enjoying the view and avoiding the voracious mosquitoes outside.

The campground we're at is at the end of a tiny road, with low trees. I think our trailer would be a no go here, as it's taller. The county here needs to do some trimming. It was a high stress drive.

The wife did work calls on the road and liked the convenience of it. Normally, we'd stop so she could be in the fiver while doing them.

The dogs are calming down and getting used to it. Day one was rough, day two much better.

The view from the front window.....
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Great feedback for the perennial question of 5W vs MH. Thank you!

Re disconnected... With the fiver, you are disconnected from all the house sounds - you don't know if a cabinet door flies open or something tips over. In the MH, you are somewhat disconnected from the engine noise, though you have gauges and you certainly feel any change in performance.

Re onboard washer... your laundry style would be different - toss a small load in whenever instead of saving up two weeks worth. It's no sweat to launder often because you are doing something else while the laundry happens, e.g. having lunch or out hiking. But if you don't like doing things that way, there are still laundromats.

Re the kitchen. I get the size difference, but isn't that mostly a floor plan choice? Only so much fits in 45 feet, whether trailer or coach. You can have a huge kitchen or a huge lounge or a huge bedroom, but you can't have all of those things in one RV.

It actually was nice to get the laundry done while doing other stuff in the last day. Nice change, actually!

Our fiver has a huge kitchen, which was a selling point for us. I think if we could find a DP that's similar to this one with a pantry, it would work.

As far as flooplans - I would go with a walk thru bath to avoid losing the space to the front half bath, I think. We really have no need for it.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Thank for the DP review from another perspective.

A Volvo + 5th wheel has to be a great traveling and destination combo.

The DP wins for traveling and instant destination convenience.

The 5W wins for destination comfort (I would think but no experience).

FWIW our DP has rattles on bumpy roads. On the freeway very few to none.

We have plenty of room with no slides, but only one dog.

We just started with the Volvo and are working some kinks out on it. I think it will be a great combo when it's all said and done.
The DP beats the F350/Fiver, no question.

I can see traveling in one being better overall - it's so easy.

Today, the road was bit rough, and the rattles got a little bit irritating. But, if it were mine, I could do something about them, I suppose.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwjsim2003 View Post
Having owned both 5er and MH.

IMOP
MH wins for ease when traveling and set up. if you travel a lot changing locations the ease of set up and ability to use interior without going out of the vehicle.

5er wins if you stay put for long periods.

We have liked both for different seasons of our travels.

Pretty much agree. Fiver also wins if the camping location is not very level. I can make it work just about everywhere. Not sure on the DP. Seems like it can only handle a couple issues off grade.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Driving a tag axle is the cream of the crop. Motorhomes do not get any better than a tag axle.

In 2011 I was sent to spend the winter in Florida and to find a diesel pusher. I test drove 3 (not tag axle). All three rattled, and on occasion had a vibration. All 3 salesman told me when loaded they don't rattle as much. I do not believe that.

I ended up with a 5th wheel a dually truck. The truck did not rattle and had more power than the DP's I test drove.

Now Ford has a new 7.3 litre engine and chassis in the gas motorhomes. I may look at those in the next few years but for now I am a truck guy pulling a travel trailer.

I think salesmen have a designated "smooth" route, combined with an empty RV to ensure a quiet ride. We test drove a American Tradition awhile ago, and I don't remember much noise in it.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I think 5er kitchens feel much larger mostly due to there ceiling heights, my friend bought one and it must have a 10' ceiling.
One thing 5ers have big time over DP's is maintenance, registration and insurance costs, DP's are not for the faint of heart.

Our fiver has high ceilings, but also has a ton of counter space and a huge pantry. Feels like a house.

Maintenance is scary - it is painful to look at the repair bill for our roof, I'm sure a DP can eat that $9k up fast if something goes wrong. On the flip side, I think the Volvo can too.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
My coach doesn't have creaks but it does have rattles

The dishes and glasses rattle a bit

The liquor bottles rattle around the liquor cabinet on rough roads

I could remedy all that if I used paper plates and went on the wagon, but that probably won't ever happen

If it's just liquor bottles rattling, I'm ok with that.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

After 4, 5ers , and 10 years with this coach ; I'd never go back ; first back in site and set up in the rain and you'll be sold .

NOTE: plastic booze bottles has helped , somewhat .
Red solo cups don't cut it for a relaxing HH , so I'm still with glasses for my highballs.

With the rear view camera, backing this thing up is a breeze. Wife hasn't had to get out once yet.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:25 PM   #38

Interesting to hear your comments compared to the 5er. We just returned from a 3,200 mile trip in our 34' gasser. Different experience than your DP I'm sure, but every bit as wide. My pet peeve is traffic engineers who put the rumble strips right on the white line. When it's windy I run over them every now and then, and it makes the drive a lot less relaxing. It's not just me either. We spent a night in West Andover, NV in a park near the freeway. Rumble strips were on the white line and and you could hear the 18 wheelers hitting them all night long. Even six inches to the right of the white line makes a huge difference.

My gasser rides pretty nice, but by the last day I must admit I felt like I'd been driving a bread truck the whole time. Driving is definitely more fun in a car, but it sure is nice to have your house with you when you get there.

As for the wide turning circle, you're sitting right over the steering wheels, which is what makes it feel like such a wide swing.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Interesting to hear your comments compared to the 5er. We just returned from a 3,200 mile trip in our 34' gasser. Different experience than your DP I'm sure, but every bit as wide. My pet peeve is traffic engineers who put the rumble strips right on the white line. When it's windy I run over them every now and then, and it makes the drive a lot less relaxing. It's not just me either. We spent a night in West Andover, NV in a park near the freeway. Rumble strips were on the white line and and you could hear the 18 wheelers hitting them all night long. Even six inches to the right of the white line makes a huge difference.

My gasser rides pretty nice, but by the last day I must admit I felt like I'd been driving a bread truck the whole time. Driving is definitely more fun in a car, but it sure is nice to have your house with you when you get there.

As for the wide turning circle, you're sitting right over the steering wheels, which is what makes it feel like such a wide swing.

Yeah, they could give a little more room on the rumble strips. My dogs don't like them at all - they jump up and run.

I have to get used to the turning....being able to go really deep into a corner and still make it.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Maybe not. There really is zero feedback from the engine on this thing. In my Volvo and F350, I can hear the engine rev and the turbo spool, and it's good feedback. In this thing, it's just push the pedal and it slowly accelerates.
Our Tiffin Phaeton is like a magic carpet ride. Yes, push the pedal and it goes, I can hear the turbo (a bit) and the engine a bit. But comparing to a front engine Class A it is quiet. We get a few interior sounds while driving. But it is mostly our stuff in the cabinets making that noise.

Our stacking washer and dryer work great and we do the laundry as needed. After months of using a laundromat I can enjoy doing other things while the washer works.

We watch 5ers pull in and set up all the time. Most take 45 minutes to an hour to get all set up. We pull in, push the levelers button, hook up power, water and sewer hose (if available) while the rig levels. Then, put out the slides. 5 minutes max. Might take a few more minutes to pull out the lawn chairs and a table if needed.

Oh, hooking up the toad is also only a few minutes max.

Our phaeton has a large kitchen, but not as large as some 5ers I have seen.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:06 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
The only rattles in my 1988 Winnie Sooperchief are the window blinds that I have never bothered to put the little round ends into their holders...
Built quite well in 1988, thank-you Winnebago techs!..You are probably all retired as I am and enjoying life...
Have Fun!
Joyce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:57 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Pretty much agree. Fiver also wins if the camping location is not very level. I can make it work just about everywhere. Not sure on the DP. Seems like it can only handle a couple issues off grade.
You can level a MH with blocks. We have been in some pretty unlevel places and put blocks under both the tires and levelers. As you need blocks under both duallies and the levelers, we have a set of double wide blocks and a set of single wide blocks. We have, on occasion, used all the blocks to get level.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, class a, tag axle