Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
You can level a MH with blocks. We have been in some pretty unlevel places and put blocks under both the tires and levelers. As you need blocks under both duallies and the levelers, we have a set of double wide blocks and a set of single wide blocks. We have, on occasion, used all the blocks to get level.

That seems like a lot of work! At least on the fiver, we aren't putting blocks under the tires. The few times we required that, we were able to lift it, put blocks under it, and lower it back down. Seems, to me, that would be more work to do with the heavy dp. I'm probably wrong tho.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassAboater View Post
Our Tiffin Phaeton is like a magic carpet ride. Yes, push the pedal and it goes, I can hear the turbo (a bit) and the engine a bit. But comparing to a front engine Class A it is quiet. We get a few interior sounds while driving. But it is mostly our stuff in the cabinets making that noise.

Our stacking washer and dryer work great and we do the laundry as needed. After months of using a laundromat I can enjoy doing other things while the washer works.

We watch 5ers pull in and set up all the time. Most take 45 minutes to an hour to get all set up. We pull in, push the levelers button, hook up power, water and sewer hose (if available) while the rig levels. Then, put out the slides. 5 minutes max. Might take a few more minutes to pull out the lawn chairs and a table if needed.

Oh, hooking up the toad is also only a few minutes max.

Our phaeton has a large kitchen, but not as large as some 5ers I have seen.

Depending on length of stay, we take 15-30 minutes to setup. If it's an overnight in a long pull thru, it's 10 minutes. So, we can do it pretty quick - but it is more work for sure.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #45

Day three in the DP:

Love the front window view. Might be better than the toy hauler patio. Depends on the site configuration. But I'm sitting in the drivers seat looking at sunset on the lake.

Keyless entry locked us out. Keypad wouldn't unlock. Fortunately, owner had a spare set of keys in the engine compartment. Weird problem - remote fob works, key works, but keypad does not unlock. Sounds like it's weak and tries to move the lock, but fails. I wouldn't trust a single electronic lock most times, but the wife locked it thinking I had the keys/fob.

Induction cooktop - while this isn't just a motorhome thing, I can't cook on it. Burn everything. No all electric coach/trailer for me, I prefer gas.

No dedicated office sucks. I miss my desk, external monitors, and the rear patio.

Storage compartments under slide outs suck. Concussion waiting to happen.

Wife says it's all right, but she prefers our trailer. Good thing, cause we're headed back there tomorrow. Maybe a DP is in our future, but for now, the toy hauler is where it's at for us.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
After you get that 5er back, you will be looking at every MH as you meet or pass it thinking "what if........"

Easy to get spoiled with the ease of "living" in them as you drive down the road.

If someone says they don't have rattles or squeeks going down the road, I would suggest they have poor hearing.
I'll second that! With the engine in the rear every small noise is heard. I can hear a cabinet door close/open while driving if it was not completely closed at first; and I am mildly hard of hearing in the machine and gun noise range.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:57 PM   #47

In respect to size - our DP is 38' and sure makes most of our class B big-trucks here at work seem small (I'm a class A CDL driver so I'm used to piloting big vehicles) but I'm always amazed at how maneuverable it is. I can breeze through and into spots that I first guess will take a few back-and-forths.

I can make better time over the road with the class-A than with a trailer. Now when the wife has to go to the bathroom she can get up from her front row seat and head to the bathroom while we're still rolling. We only really have to stop if we need to fuel or I need to go. And no nasty rest area or truck-stop bathrooms.

We also really enjoy being able to tow a small vehicle with us to run around in rather than try to wiggle and deal with the size of the dually we had once we arrived at our destination. To be honest, that was why we skipped a 5er and decided to try a Class A. Hard to get a dually up a tight trail road without tearing it up, never mind a class 8 tractor.

The big downside for us is the price of entry. I can get a gently used road tractor and really nice 5er for far, far less than the cost of a late model DP. We're in an older one now, just kind of trying it out and are not sure what we'll get into when its time to upgrade in a few years.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #48

It turns out that it is really hard to build a house that you can drive. There are always going to be some creaks and groans.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #49

Although you are ending your MH trip, the tag dump on the 2013 Bus was designed to dump the tag pressure at the tough of the button "if below 8 mph". However, once your speed gets over 8 mph, the bags will re inflate whether the button is pushed or not. You might have been holding the button down, but that did not override the 8 mph inflate feature. I had mine reprogrammed so that I can dump or inflate it under 20 mph. After I did mine, I think Tiffin followed my request and increased the parameters on the 2015 and later models.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:14 PM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
I made the transition from 5er to 38' Pusher a few years ago. I agree that our Duramax 3500 did have more power climbing hills....but not that much more and I do arrive more rested after 300-400 miles in the MH vs the truck!

Set-up and breakdown is certainly more work as we all know in the 5er and the ease of moving about, using the bathroom, and even making a sandwich in the MH wins hands down every time.

But...........it is hard to compare the comfort of a set-up 5er to most comparable sized MHs. %ers are definitely more like a house so if your travel style is to say for 4-8 weeks at a time or even for an entire winter/summer the 5er is gonna win out every time.

It looks like you already have a toad with your set-up (Double tow?) so you already have a smaller vehicle to get around and tour with but I think I would have a difficult time going back to a 5th wheel after this long in a DP.

Hope your roof comes out the way you want it and there is nothing but smooth roads and clear skies ahead
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #51

Over the last few years I have graduated from 19' bumper pull to a 2008 National RV pacifica 40ft diesel pusher. The quietness of the engine (cat c7) is heaven. I had a Ford F350 pulling a Montana 4oft 5th wheel and I will says in many instances the Ford drove better, however the chucking back and forth...up and down was enough to drive my wife crazy to no end. The motorhome takes practice to get used to, but overall a quiet ...smooth...ride is well worth it.
thanx2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #52

Creaky Class A's

Is every DP creaky? Or are the higher end ones, like Country Coach, less prone to it? Is it something you just get used to?[/QUOTE]

I can tell you that the Marathon Prevost from the late 90's has ZERO creaks.

That's all I know.

CMIPilot
cmipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Yeah, they could give a little more room on the rumble strips. My dogs don't like them at all - they jump up and run.

I have to get used to the turning....being able to go really deep into a corner and still make it.
Newmar has Comfort Drive in all DP's which is real nice. We previously had a Raptor Toy Hauler 5er hauled by my 2011 F450 dually. We really enjoyed it especially since the kids were young and we hauled lots of stuff including Honda dirt bikes.

Now that the kids are out of the house we are on a second DP. It does rattle and bang but you get use to it. You can add cloth napkins between your dishes and rubber vented mats in the a/v cabinet which is where most of our rattling came from.

All in all, we really like the Dutchstar and a dp over the 5er.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
As for the wide turning circle, you're sitting right over the steering wheels, which is what makes it feel like such a wide swing.
My dad replaced his '57 Ford station wagon with a 1964 Corvair van, which like a MH had the front wheels under and behind the drivers seat...

He quickly learned that you had to wait for the corner before you turned it...

Mike
Old 05-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
You do realize you are talking about a 2013 8 yr old unit. Might want to try a newer model meeting todays needs.
willbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
That seems like a lot of work! At least on the fiver, we aren't putting blocks under the tires. The few times we required that, we were able to lift it, put blocks under it, and lower it back down. Seems, to me, that would be more work to do with the heavy dp. I'm probably wrong tho.
Can't pull that Jeep behind your 5'er, can you?
That's a plus for Class A

Tags
allegro, class a, tag axle