Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #15

Had our little Class A towed 45 miles once a few years ago. It was paid for by AAA so my cost was just for the membership. The repair cost was fair. 4 hrs, $400.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Had a starter failure on our Wanderlodge with a C-13 24 volt starter. Replacement and service call was $1000. Starter(s) failed three times and finally we just towed the bus 160 miles. $1300.
My Blue Bird Cat dealer checked all the wiring from the switch to the starter and installed a new starter. The mobile service company refunded our $1000 without me even asking. Straight up guy!!! So I had the tow for $1300. Plus the diagnostics and starter from McAllister Cat. It could have been worse.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #17

Destroyed our differential, when backing into our camp site in Cumberland Mtn. State Park, TN. Spent $1700 for a ten mile tow to a repair facility. The fee included a service call to pull our axles to confirm my diagnosis that the differential was defective. When the tech pulled the first axle we could hear metal parts falling to the bottom of the case.
Because we were in a camp ground the very large wrecker couldn't come into the camp ground so Tennessee Towing, used a small wrecker to pull the coach through the very tight road out to a service road where the wrecker could hook up. This required 4 men, one driving the wrecker, one driving my coach (engine running so power steering and brakes were operational) and two on either side of the coach monitoring the tow rope's angle and providing guidance to both drivers. Once on the service road, they quickly got our coach up using the method where the wheels are clamped. Upon arrival at the repair facility the coach was backed into a bay which had less than 12 inches clearances on either side and the top of the doorway. !

My wife and I were frankly amazed at the drivers ability to put our coach into the service bay without a scratch!!! We were happy to pay their service fee given the expertise and care they took with our coach.If you need towing services in TN, call Tennessee Towing I highly recommend them

Also State Farm cut me a check for the full amount with no questions.

Finally the repair facility showed me the cause of the problem, a set screw that holds one of the two large adjustment screws in place backed out allowing the ring gear to gradually move away from the pinion gear until there was not enough engagement to transmit the power to the wheels. When it let go the noise sounded like a dozen demented blacksmiths pounding on anvils. The entire campground was horrified. We had to wait 3 weeks for a rebuilt differential.
Guardsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #18

Recently lost the motor in our 2020 Newmar baystar with only 4000 miles. Had it towed 250 miles to nearest Ford Dealer that could do the work. Total tow bill 7500.00 all paid by Ford warranty. This was 7 weeks ago still waiting on the motor to arrive and get new engine installed. Faulty oil take up in the engine caused catastrophic failure.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang311 View Post
broke the belt on 2011 Aspire near Chatanooga TN. Mobil mechanic showed up (looked about 12 years old). Determined the AC compressor froze up. He found one about 30 miles away and goes to get it. Doesnt have the rigtht tools to remove the old compressor so he cut the lines. Installs new compressor but cannot find the right length of belt anywhere. Decides to bypass the NEW compressor and puts on a short belt bypassing the compressor. Total time spent 8 hours including multiple trips to parts store. Total cost of $1200 including the compressor. Once home it cost another 2,000 to fix the damage caused by the cut lines, which now leak and I still have no dash air. Moral of the story is carry the right tools to do these things yourself, I wont make that mistake again.
I've always thought of this as a possibility for happening, so do have in my possession the part number for a belt to bypass the compressor. I don't carry one, as I do the regular belt, but at least I can go get one or have a mobile mechanic bring it along. With having a side radiator, one can pretty much walk in to work on it and me as well, if I'm in a good place.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Inside tire was flat, cost me $10 for a new valve extender. CoachNet covered the rest of the call and I got a free tire pressure tool.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
Inside tire was flat, cost me $10 for a new valve extender. CoachNet covered the rest of the call and I got a free tire pressure tool.
Just renewed with coachnet. Best out there I believe. My closest friend runs 70 tow trucks, 6 are huge turret wreckers. He tows for coachnet, aaa and thats about it. The others don't pay enough for him to contract with. So when they need him they pay full highway patrol rates.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:01 AM   #22

My wife has put a deposit on a 2016 tiffin 34 pa with v-10 Ford. It has 50000 on the odo. They are pushing a very expensive service plan through AGWS. I am just starting to research this.
What and who do you guys recommend for a service plan? I definitely want towing and tire coverage road side assistance. Thanks for any input advice.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandansar View Post
My wife has put a deposit on a 2016 tiffin 34 pa with v-10 Ford. It has 50000 on the odo. They are pushing a very expensive service plan through AGWS. I am just starting to research this.
What and who do you guys recommend for a service plan? I definitely want towing and tire coverage road side assistance. Thanks for any input advice.
We're talking about towing insurance, not repairs. I don't know anything about repair plans.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
We're talking about towing insurance, not repairs. I don't know anything about repair plans.
Coachnet was always the best for roadside assistant plans IMO, but now with their prices not being competitive anymore, I went with Good Sam this last time around and got an even better deal with two years prepay. Haven't used them as yet, so ????
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
I broke down with an antifreeze leak and the closest repair shop was 51 miles away and my tow bill was $1128.75! I actually got Good Sam to pay for it!
The problem was a blown hose I think it was going to the aqua hot. It looked like it was actually cut before. Cummings of Columbus OH did the repair for $727
JimKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been towed 5 times in 14 years and have never paid a penny thanks to Coachnet. The last tow was $1650 per the tow truck driver.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Just curious, I see prices all over the place...

I got stuck in a ditch/mud. Tow out with a small tow truck was $360.

Blown air line, on a weekend, mobile mechanic came out for an hour, $240.

How about you?
I recommend that everyone that has a Rv or motor home to get AAA cause it’s only $12.00 per month. It covers towing for all your vehicles including your rv if you get the Rv coverage. It’s way better than paying $360 for a pullout when you get stuck or the price of a tow. You may have to wait depending on where you are for the truck to reach you. But it sure is peace of mind knowing that they are there for you when you most need them.

As for the mechanic all of them will charge a service call fee from $100-$150 just to come out and then $100-$150 per hour. It seams like highway robbery but we all know anything that has to do with your Rv or motor home isn’t cheap. You should always be ready to pay up to $300 for the first hour of a Rv/motor home repair. When I have a problem and it’s not critical to have someone right away I wait till I have 2/3 things that need attention before I call out for a repair technician. Be sure you check the reviews of the company that you intend on using as for there are bad technicians that either don’t really know what they are doing and take to long for the repair and those that don’t guarantee their work. I use Adrift Rv Repair out of Seguin Texas for my repairs as I am always within 1-2 hours from them on an oilfield with my Rv guarding the gate. They do wonderful work and their fees are in line with my budget.

Good luck everyone and get AAA for all your vehicles I totally believe it has saved me so much money on tows and flat tires and me locking my keys in my vehicle which I am bad about doing.
Kirk551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #28

FYI for AAA members. Had a once in a lifetime, "FREE", long-haul tow of a Ford Ranger from Staunton to Hershey 2 years back on my wife's legacy AAA membership.

Tags
mechanic, tow