Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #57

I have to say, I am really surprised that people would want to take all of their coach wheels off of the ground.

Our coach started sliding 'ever-so-slightly' on a slanted concrete surface. It really happened. Firmly planting the tires on ground stopped it.

We have air leveling only now so no chance of taking the wheels of off the ground.

Safe travels!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
What kind of flooring is best when all 4 wheels are off the ground?
"floating" Maybe only Ernie would understand this.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #59

Leveling jacks down is like a 30d nail thru the flooring to the subfloor
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #60
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
There could be chocks on the front you don't show that in the pictures. If the site is so unlevel that your jack pads will slide down the hill you are not going to get it level anyway. In addition I will have to look but I am pretty sure my air brake coach locks the front wheels with no air and I have to dump the air to lower the jacks. Even so I would chock the front wheels anyway. Not all situations are created equal. If you don't like it don't do it but don't chastise those that know how to make it work safely. Now the guy that pulled his TT through the taco bell drive through is a different story, hammer away.
I stand corrected. I do not have spring brakes on the front so no lock without air. The chocks will do the job though.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a friend that will only use the auto level. I swear that all 4 wheels were close to off the ground last weekend. And it still wasn't level.
I have tried to explain how to manually level it, but he insists on using the auto level "because he has it"!
Some people just are a little too set in their ways.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
why- this thread is not about entry stairs

Technically, this thread has no description of topic, so my first thought was, if the rear is lifted that high and the ground slopes down towards the front, the owner would need an accessory set of stairs to enter the coach. Other than that, if left unmonitored and one rear jack leaked down, the entire load would transfer to the remaining jack, potentially causing unnecessary twisting and overloading. I don’t think it would affect your flooring.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
don't be like this guy

When will campgrounds finally figure out we need and want reasonably level sites? -Paul
Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #64

It should be obvious, but there is never a realistic situation that requires all the wheels to be off the ground to level the coach. If your auto level does that (or just raises you higher than necessary) all you have to do is lower the coach a little bit at a time, front-rear or side-side, until at least one wheel is resting firmly on the ground while maintaining the level. Knowing how to use your levelers is important.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have a friend that will only use the auto level. I swear that all 4 wheels were close to off the ground last weekend. And it still wasn't level.
I have tried to explain how to manually level it, but he insists on using the auto level "because he has it"!
Some people just are a little too set in their ways.
Happy Glamping.
Perhaps your friend will accept your suggestion to recalibrate his auto level system.

Agree with FatChance, there is only one high point. In a worst case scenario at least one tire should remain in contact with the ground.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #66

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I have my drive axle tires changed, on a level concrete slab, the mechanic's will only lift one side at a time, and both front tires are chocked front and back.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #67

I guess the fear of having wheels up must be a Prevost thing....

If this is such a dangerous issue and such a widespread problem, where are all the threads about suing RV Builders for not putting huge warning stickers on the leveler system warning that if you do this you shall surely die?? Where are all the pics of rigs in RV parks with the leveler systems folded up thru the floating floor system?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 AM   #68

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
When I joined this forum almost 20 years ago, I was eager to help others. Lately, I have read comments in other forums about the way this forum has morphed into an unfriendly, disrespectful forum that when any thoughts are put out they are immediately trashed. I never thought this would happen to me and at 72 years old am quite appalled at how this forum has changed- not for the better.
If there was anyway that I could have deleted this thread, I would have.
For those that have offered kind input, I thank you.
"A Prevost thing"-- it took me 50 years of hard work to get one of these. I went thru 4 Bluebirds and a bunch of others before I found this coach.
Did I make a comment on what you have? NO- Thanks for your "respect". As I leave this forum for good- may all of you have safe travels in your sticks and staples plastic palaces with your plastic chocks and your sorry attitude.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Except gravity and the jacks. If the jacks fail, problem solved. Much ado about nothing, IMO.
X2
Old 04-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
Technically, this thread has no description of topic, so my first thought was, if the rear is lifted that high and the ground slopes down towards the front, the owner would need an accessory set of stairs to enter the coach. Other than that, if left unmonitored and one rear jack leaked down, the entire load would transfer to the remaining jack, potentially causing unnecessary twisting and overloading. I don’t think it would affect your flooring.
I agree on the vagueness of the topic, but the posts about flooring do seem odd. IMHO.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a