Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Socket size to remove VersaLiner JAM nut/Lug nut?

I have a 2005 Adventurer with 22.5 size tires and I am trying to locate the correct deep socket size 6 pt or 12 to remove the 2 VersaLiner JAM nut/Lug nut cover holding on the liners. Unfortunately I am experiencing the effects of a RV service department over tightening the VersaLiner lug nuts on the liners on all four tires. The t-handle device to remove the lug nuts is just bending. I have read through many posts here and there are so many different socket suggestions that have not worked for me. The Model of the VersaLiner's are Dicor 22569. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
usaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just bought a 1 9/16" socket about three weeks ago that did the job for me but it was 3/4" drive, the nut covers are not on that tight so I think you could use water pump type pliers with the socket if needed.

Yell if you want the site URL.

You might want to measure the size of the nut to give the best idea of what you need.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #3

On my previous MH all the lug nuts and jam nuts on the drivers side were reverse thread. Which side are you trying to remove on?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

John thank you for the help. Is the 1 9/16" socket you used a normal or deep type socket?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

I am trying to remove all four wheel liners to because the service tech torqued them down instead of normal installation.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
John thank you for the help. Is the 1 9/16" socket you used a normal or deep type socket?
Shallow socket just because it was cheaper than a deep socket and I really have had no need in the past 20 to 30 years for the socket otherwise. Of course it could have just been lost or misplaced recently and I did not know it but I doubt it.

I've read a few times in the past about people twisting or damaging the original flimsy socket/tool trying to remove them but it was absolutely no problem using a 3/4 drive ratchet, in fact I was more afraid of damaging the nut cover until I loosened the first one.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know if you just used the wrong terminology or not but torqueing is the correct way to install. Your user manual should tell you how much torque to apply when tightening and will probably advise that you recheck after some amount of miles.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I had a welder fix the little T-handle wrench, but you cold just take with you when you buy the socket and match them.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
TBI

I use a 1 9/16 regular depth socket and a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and a 6" extension. It works great. I keep a 7/8" for the water heater plug and a 33MM for the wheel lugs but I doubt I could get them off if I tried.
TBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem, someone really overtightend the 3 nuts that hold the hub cover plate on. I could not locate a reasonably priced socket, I figured $35.00 was a bit much for a socket. The fancy covers on the 3 nuts are held onto the actual cap nut with dimples, the ones that identify the nuts to remove. You can carefully pry the fancy cap off the nut then use the proper size socket to remove the 3 extra nuts that hold the plate on and expose the actual wheel nuts. You should probably re-dimple the fancy covers with a screwdriver blade to make sure they stay in place once you put them back on. If you re-install the fancy cover nuts with the flimsy tool supplied, I doubt if you could overtighten them for the next time.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$4.00 for the socket @ Harbor Freight.

Best,

ruppr
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote