Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

sofa mattress

The mattress on my sofa bed is in bad shape. I am looking at either an inflatable mattress (about 52 inches wide - if I can find one that size) or a foam topper that can be folded up with the mattress. What advice do you have for me? Where can I purchase the appropriate item?
hark582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Mine has am inflatable and everyone that sleeps on it loves it.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought one of these when I had my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. I took out the old junk mattress that came with the sofa bed and threw it as far as I could. The Air Dream mattress comes with a small 120 volt air pump that fills the mattress very quickly. I don't think I have ever had a better nights sleep and the price was right.

Sofa Sleeper Replacement Mattress, Air Dream: Air over coil-air spring coil mattress.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
How often is it used? That might determine how much $$ you want to spend on it. Ours isn't used much so I cut down one of those foam egg-crate toppers & it folds up with the mattress. It's good enough for the infreqent use ours gets.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

We had to replace our inflatable mattress because of a leak. We really didn't know where to begin to look for a replacement so we started with the MH manufacturer to get a price. We were quoted a price that was way out of line. We checked the Cabela's catalog and it appeared to be the same mattress for a much more reasonable price. We have been very happy with the replacement.
Daylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

Mines the airdream.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
Mines the airdream.

X3 on the airdream.We've been using ours for almost two years now w/o a problem and my stepson loves it. He sleeps on it between 50-60 nites a year. I like it as it's easy up and down and stows well.The only problem was that I had to take the seat belts off of the sofa,.He doesn't like it as when wewant to travel early,I just pull the plug and it deflates in seconds with a roar.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I bought one of these when I had my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. I took out the old junk mattress that came with the sofa bed and threw it as far as I could. The Air Dream mattress comes with a small 120 volt air pump that fills the mattress very quickly. I don't think I have ever had a better nights sleep and the price was right.

Sofa Sleeper Replacement Mattress, Air Dream: Air over coil-air spring coil mattress.

Sammie
Would you replace the mattress on the regular bed in the bedroom with the spring air??

Mine is very springy, I'm in it only a few weeks a year, but this looks like a cheaper yet far better alternative than a 1200 new mattress.....
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Couch mattress

Thanks for the site. I have tried a number of things. But, the up side of the conventional one is that company doesn't want to sleep on it over 2 nights.

My frame is a jack-nife type folding frame. I have had problems with it because in the 1/2 up/down position the frame crosses over itself like a pair of scissors. This results in a cutting of a conventional rubber air matress.

My next attempt was to put on some heavy duty vinyl covering to protect the air mattress and the vinyl covering is now getting cut up.

How does your mattress fare through this folding and unfolding process. Do you get any damage to it.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Air Dream

Just got mine today and put it in. It's great. The other one is out the window. The reason I was having so many damage problems was that I thought I had a Queen sofa when I had a 53" wide Full sofa.
Cost $239.00
arrived a day earlier that promised
and both the wife and I agree it comfortable, so our "Princess" ought to be able to sleep on in when she visits.
Four daughters and only one who has a "sensitive" bed problem.

Thanks all for your recommendations. They mean a lot more coming from IRV2 members than from Manufacturer reviews.