Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

Sofa replacement

Anyone added or replaced sofa to slide? Did you get a single or double recliner? I have found a double recliner (90") in Flexsteel and LayZBoy. Owner of household furniture store is someone I know, recommends Flexsteel which surprised me over LB. LB is even a little cheaper, however FS may breakdown easier for installation and appears to take less needed back space to recline. Any "been there, done that" thoughts.

BTW, comfort seems the same, footage may be influence, I will check again. FS footage seems to be more to rear (leaving more front overhang) which could mean it rides up on 36" slide floor better.

bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

We hated the sleeper sofa that came in our park trailer. So, after putting up with it for 2-3 years and NEVER using at a sleeper sofa, I pulled it out from the wall and saw that I was left with just a regular old spot for a new piece of furniture...nothing special was under it. So, we measured the area and got the maximum dimensions of something we would be able to put there and started looking. We also took a little swatch of the fabric used on the window dressings to match colors. We found a perfectly colored, reclining loveseat on clearance and snagged it. It was a floor model with a stain ON THE BACK...who cares? We have been thrilled with the decision. The back of the sofa came off as did the back of the recliner...easy to pull the sofa out and put the recliner in through the sliding glass door.

It did make me wonder how folks with a cab entry Class A can swap out furniture, though. I have heard tell of folks having to remove the windshield to bring in new appliances and such...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a pull out Hide a Bed that we hated. sleeping on it would be considered torture in GITMO. We removed it be disassembling. 1st unbolting it from the floor, carefully moving safety belts. Then took out mattress, removed arms and then carried pieces out of the MH. We replaced it with a Jack knife type sofa sleeper. Arms had to be removed (2 bolts each arm) then we were able to get the three pieces into the MH. Not a big deal, took a couple of hours. Safe travels.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #4

If you go with furniture other than RV manufactured, you will need to find a way to fasten it to the floor/slide out.

I wanted a top line sleeper and ended up with an American Leather queen sleeper with the optional gel mattress. It is a fully modular and American made unit that is solid as a rock and super comfortable to sit and sleep.

I am leaving for Florida in a month and have to fab up some brackets to bolt to the slide floor and sides of the sofabed. Also, needed to maintain the existing seat belt systems. Fortunately, there is a nice gap between the back and seat area to fully accomodate the seatbelts.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #5

We removed the Villa sleeper/sofa from our new 43' motorhome because it is the most uncomfortable thing to sit on. I extended the slideout floor and installed a residential double recliner with a console in between. It's a wall hugger and just as comfortable as the ones in our home.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

I removed the old sofa/bed and installed a double recliner sofa on the slide platform in my coach. The thread below starting on post 15 provides details and pictures with a PDF doc that has additional pictures.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/repl...-181385-2.html
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #7

Had our old Hide A Bed replaced with two LazyBoy Recliners among other changes to our Coach. The folks at Truline did a real nice job at a fair price.

RV Remodeling | Custom RV Remodeling & Repair @ Truline RV
Old 01-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

This describes our Reno a little more. The Lazyboys were installed by me once we got the Coach home.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/awes...rv-138956.html
Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I removed the old sofa/bed and installed a double recliner sofa on the slide platform in my coach. The thread below starting on post 15 provides details and pictures with a PDF doc that has additional pictures.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/repl...-181385-2.html
Very nice Don. Really gave me ideas on attachment to slide floor. Sure like the sofa, what brand/make is it? Looks extremely comfortable, and certainly good enough to sleep on.
bill
Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

I also had to extend the slide floor about 11" to fit the double recliner w/console I installed. I used a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to the size I needed and carpeted it. I then butted it up to the edge of the slide out floor so it was level with it and used three 1/4" X 2" flat iron straps 12" long. The outer edge of the extension is supported by four poly rollers. The extension is now part of the slide out floor and rolls back and forth. Pretty simple and cost less than $30.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #11

replacement with reclining loveseat

This is much better now building end table to fit on one end for cup holders
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #12

think have pic attached this time

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140104_170912.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	53309
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #13

Stew,
Similar color to LaZboy we found today, but the one we found was 88" double recliner. Should fit fine in 110" space with room on sides for woofer speaker and folding tables. I like the recliner type like LB and Flex as the backs will come off for ease of installation through door. Got it for $1K out the door and installed.......just got to get to New Boston to pick it up.
bill

Tags
replacement, replace