Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sofabed Mattress Replace/add to ??

We do not use our sofabed but we've had the occasion to sleep on them in the past and they are without a doubt uncomfortable. I have looked at memory foam replacements but one of the cons that keeps coming up is that it doesn't do a lot for that bar that is in the middle of your back.

I'm looking for ideas and variations. I'm thinking that a three inch topper on it might resolve the bar issue but will a 3" topper fold in OK? If not what size topper will remove the bar problem but still allow the sofa to close up?

We're not against replacing the mattress but I suspect the sofa mattress's are all the same as far as comfort goes.

HELP !!!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is used for guests. It keeps them from overstaying their welcome.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Friends of mine have a Monaco Camelot and ttheir sleeper sofa has an aero-bed for it's mattress. They have never complained about it being uncomfortable. I don't know where get it, but an internet search should show their availability.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Friends of mine have a Monaco Camelot and ttheir sleeper sofa has an aero-bed for it's mattress. They have never complained about it being uncomfortable. I don't know where get it, but an internet search should show their availability.
It's just me being picky but I'm not crazy about having to inflate/deflate constantly. I would also fear that the beds metal work might puncture the mattress and then I'd have to start this thread all over again.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #5

my step-daughter uses a pool float on it made out of foam of some type
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

My 05 CC has an inflatable bed that takes about 60 seconds to inflate & it's extremely comfortable. After my back operation I need a firm mattress and it works. Our Tempur Pedic (sp) is junk according to my back. YMMV.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
I would take the pool floatie and put it on the frame and still use an inflatable. Mine also only takes 60sec to inflate.
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

We removed the inflatable matress in our coach and replaced it with a 3 inch thick "latex" matress. It still allows the couch to fold and it is very comfortable with no issues regarding the metal bar.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing that will help with a SofaBed is to add some extra support to that thin excuse for a mattress and some isolation from the springs.
I went to the local Lowes Home Supply store and had two pieces of 1/4-inch plywood cut to fit each section where it folds. This will give the poor visitor a lot of support and minimize the pain of sleeping on such a thin mattress.
Yes, the bed will be a lot harder for sleepers, but at least it will be more stable and even in its weight distribution.
Ramblongdon
ramblingdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Our hide a bed sofa mattress was toast when we bought the RV. We replaced it with an https://www.airdream.net/ that has a layer of conventional springs and a top layer air bladder. This thing is very comfortable with no hard cross members or spring hard spots. It comes with an inflation pump that will inflate in less than a minute...very easy. Our couch/bed would fold up with the sheets on the bed and with a little care(sheet tucking) to protect the air portion of the mattress, it never got damaged from the workings of the hide a bed.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had one with an air bladder built in and it sprang a leak (in the middle of the night). We replaced with a mattress from www.plushbeds.com. It is a 4.5 in memory foam mattress and we cover it with a 2 in memory foam topper from Costco.

Sleeps like a cloud. No bar in the back.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
We do not use our sofabed but we've had the occasion to sleep on them in the past and they are without a doubt uncomfortable. I have looked at memory foam replacements but one of the cons that keeps coming up is that it doesn't do a lot for that bar that is in the middle of your back.

I'm looking for ideas and variations. I'm thinking that a three inch topper on it might resolve the bar issue but will a 3" topper fold in OK? If not what size topper will remove the bar problem but still allow the sofa to close up?

We're not against replacing the mattress but I suspect the sofa mattress's are all the same as far as comfort goes.

HELP !!!
Yep they are uncomfortable no matter what you do and you sink way down when you sit on them. Here is what I did. See this link. https://rvbloggers.wordpress.com/201...couch-project/

Mel
Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great project and a job well done ..... but !!!

We want a bed. We do not want to spend $1200.00 on a mattress. I'm not that drawn to an inflatable mattress. It's a bed that won't see a lot of use but will see some. Consequently we want to make it more comfortable but not more valuable than the MH itself.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Great project and a job well done ..... but !!!

We want a bed. We do not want to spend $1200.00 on a mattress. I'm not that drawn to an inflatable mattress. It's a bed that won't see a lot of use but will see some. Consequently we want to make it more comfortable but not more valuable than the MH itself.
We debated a long time before I modified the couch. We came to the conclusion that

1. The couch was hardly ever used for a bed, and besides we could use the extra storage better than a bed. The couch was uncomfortable to set on in it's present form before I modified it. It is now comfortable to sit or lay on, and you don't sink in like before.

2. when it was used it was for Grand Kids, not adults. A child can sleep on it without making it into a sofa bed.

3. In its modified state, one of Our grand Kids can sleep on the modified couch.

4. Our Dinette makes into a bed so any of the others can sleep on the Dinette bed.

5. you can always throw a sleeping bag and air mattress on the floor.
Mel

Tags
ace, replace