Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

Solar charger question

Hi Everyone,

I'm am relatively new to RVs and even newer to Class A's. We just purchased a 2007 Allegro 28DA after one summer in a Class C and I'm finding a few things I don't understand.

The coach has a solar charging system installed on the roof. Don't know what brand or type. The control panel shows 13 - 14 volts charging almost all the time, and says the battery (2 x 6 volt) is 100% charged.

With nothing turned on in the coach and not plugged into shore power, the batteries go down in a couple of days ? The other problem is the solar system says they are good and 100% charged, but the system inside the coach says they are low. Based on the lights, the inside monitor is correct... Not sure what to check ?

There is also a fuzz missing on the front of the solar control panel marked "Batt" ? Here is a picture of the control panel:

Hope someone can help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG6642.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	36144  
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

Get a reading off the batts with a multimeter. That reading will be a base to indicate which meter in the coach is correct.

I suspect the solar charge controller may be hooked to a small rinky dinky solar panel that is doing nothing. If you take out the remaining fuse, I'd think the results would be.......Nothing.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

Good thoughts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
I suspect the solar charge controller may be hooked to a small rinky dinky solar panel that is doing nothing.
Ed, the solar panel on the roof is approx. 4' x 4', maybe a little bigger. I have not checked the voltage with a meter, will have to do that.
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #4

Logic says that there needs to be a fuse in the fuse holder in order for it to work correctly. You should call Speciality Concepts Inc and talk to them.

SPECIALTY CONCEPTS INC-SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLERS
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

X2 on the fuse. It will show 12 volts + , but the question is how many amps. It will vary depending on the capability of the panel and the amount of sun.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #6

That 4X4 panel just MAY keep a full batt full, but would do very little in the charging department. It's probably in the 40 watt range so a couple of amps on a good day, once working properly.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

4x4 is a lot of solar panel - much more than most rvs with solar. 16 sq. ft of panel space. If decent quality it ought to be in the 150 watt range (10 watts per sq ft is typical). That kind of wattage could provide a 10 amp charge rate, which is not trivial.

I suspect the 14.0v shown may be the power direct from the panel and not necessarily the current state of charge.

The panel can be delivering plenty of charge but that doesn't mean the batteries are accepting and storing it. In fact, the symptoms you describe suggest poor batteries or a lot of background (phantom) loads which can quickly drain even a good battery. For example, a steady 2 amp drain over 48 hours is 96 amp-hours or about 45% of what your 2 x 6v batteries could store when they were new. I would expect to see voltage in the 11.9 range at that charge level, and that is considerably dimmer than the 13.6v you are accustomed to on shore power.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go here type_Document_Title_here and down load the manual and trouble shooting manual for your Mark 15 controller. It appears you are missing the battery fuse, without it the controller will not charge the batteries.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar