Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #1

Question Solar Maintaining batteries in cold weahter

I want to use a solar charger to maintain both my house batteries and the chassis battery.

All three are next to each other under the steps.

I have a knife disconnect switch on the chassis battery.

I have a 50-watt solar panel charger to hook up.

Do I close the knife switch and then attach the charger clamps to the two chassis battery terminals?

Do I leave the knife switch open and attach to just the two terminals of the chassis battery? That's the main one I want to keep charged.

Or do I somehow attach to the far end of the house batteries and the chassis battery?

Thanks!
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 01:02 PM   #2

Assuming all of the batteries are lead-acid, I would connect them via the knife switch and connect the 50W solar leads to either battery. This is assuming both batteries are fairly well charged to start with. Otherwise, if one is low and the other is high, you might get quite a surge of current as you close the knife switch. If they aren't already well charged, it would be best to charge them individually to full before closing the knife switch.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #3

Thumbs down solar charging in winter

I was like you last year. I had connected the house and chassis batteries in parallel and turned off the disconnect switch. It was a great plan to keep the batteries top up over the winter and ready for spring.

Then...the solar charge controlled failed and I ended up with solid state batteries. Solid ice that is. Either parasitic load from the coach or the failed charge controller drained the batteries. Without a charge, the batteries are vulnerable to freezing.

This year I charged them all up, disconnected the cables to the batteries, and rested in peace. That is what I did every year with my boat and never had any problems in the spring.

Do it while you can
!
vicwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #4

To be safe and still use your solar panel, I would disconnect the positive cable of each battery bank. If fully charged when put in storage, they should be fine for several months. As added benefit, hook the solar up to the chassis battery for a month and then switch to the house battery bank for a month with the knife switch open. This would prevent one bad battery from draining the others. In the spring you should have two nearly full charged battery banks to start your season.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #5

He never said he had a knife switch between the batteries.
He said the chassis battery had a knife switch.

If you want to keep them a on solar charging, open the knife switch and the house battery disconnect and then connect the solar to the house battery positive and negative. Then get a 10 guage jumper wire to connect the house positive to the chassis positive. The negatives are already connected thru the chassis grounds.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #6

I didn't catch if the OP has a controller. I would not leave a solar panel hooked direct to batteries, even 50 watts.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #7

solar charger reccomendation

I am solar electric ignorant but would like to hook up a solar charger to by batteries? I have two house and one chassis battery with two rotary off on switches located in a basement compartment.

Looking for a simple easy setup, what should I purchase and how do I hook it up?
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Be careful not to confuse watts with amps.
Depending on your parasitic draw, a 50w solar panel may not be enough to maintain three batteries. A 50w solar panel may only produce 3 1/2 amps at solar noon on a clear day. The rest of the day you may only get 1 to 2 amps and of course nothing during the evening.
You also have to allow for shorter winter days as well as clouds.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:19 PM   #9

Deleted- duplicate
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Be careful not to confuse watts with amps.
Depending on your parasitic draw, a 50w solar panel may not be enough to maintain three batteries. A 50w solar panel may only produce 3 1/2 amps at solar noon on a clear day. The rest of the day you may only get 1 to 2 amps and of course nothing during the evening.
You also have to allow for shorter winter days as well as clouds.
I use a 50 watt panel mounted on the south facing bumper in parallel with a 100 watt panel on the roof. The roof mounted panel often gets covered with snow but the 50 watt panel is nearly vertical and plenty to keep two 100 Ah coach batteries and the chassis batteries fully charged. I usually see 13.2-13.5 volts on both battery systems.

I have measured the parasitic draw on my coach batteries with the battery disconnect switch off. It measures about 0.08 amp or about 2 amp hours daily. The 50 watt panel covers that loss just fine.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, solar