Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solar power for battery maintenance

Wondering if any suggestions for solar battery maintenance while it is in storage for the winter to keep batteries from going dead thank you.
Luv2roadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 06:59 PM   #2

It's really hard to be specific. A single 60-100 watt panel should be plenty to keep your batteries charged IF you remove all loads which doesn't always happen when you throw the salesman switch. If you install a true disconnect switch your batteries will be fine for months as long as they start their storage time fully charged. Most flooded cell batteries have a self discharge rate of 3% a month. Just about any tickle charge should handle that. It's phantom loads that will drain a battery. Things like propane or carbon monoxide detectors, radio memory backups, some engine or transmission controllers, or 12v items that aren't really off when turned off. Usually these add up to a few amps. A 100 watt panel will supply up to 8 amps on the best days. Less when winter clouds are around.

I had problems with dead batteries after a few months in storage until I installed two disconnects. After that the batteries were fine. It's started right up in the spring. That's without anything trickle charging. A free way to do this is to pull the negative battery cable(s) after parking it.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2roadtrip View Post
Wondering if any suggestions for solar battery maintenance while it is in storage for the winter to keep batteries from going dead thank you.
From my experience with a sample size of 1, being me....
I have a small, 10watt I think, solar panel that came factory installed on my 2002 winnebago adventurer. It charges my two house batteries that came with the coach when we bought it a few years ago.

Over the last 3 NY winters I have never had to pull the two house batteries. The solar charger has done a good enough job to keep them charged. I pull my chassis (engine) battery each winter and put it on a trickle charger/maintainer at home. But anytime I stop over during the winter and check my rig my house batteries are always fully charged and working fine.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:21 AM   #4

A 50 watt panel keeps my batteries charged up throughout the winter. I mount it almost vertical eon the south facing bumper to keep the snow off. The Precision Circuits BIM 160 also connects the house and chassis batteries to keep it charged.

The solar controller is wired directly to the house batteries so I keep the battery disconnect switch off so I don’t have to deal with parasitic loads.

Works great.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco offered the solar option on some of their rigs. The packaged consisted of one 85 watt panel, a 30 amp solar controller, that went to both the house and the chassis batteries separately, the controller sent more power to the house. House has a 25 amp fuse, chassis 5 amp.

If you shut off both disconnects the solar would probably keep up with the small parasitic draw of a stored battery but don't count on more then that.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, maintenance, power, solar